Jump to content

Any potential Jets trades on the horizon?


wediditjoe
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Unless theyre right along with most of the so called experts who believe the same

"So called" being the key word there.  I.E. the same people who have no skin in the game and aren't held to account when they get stuff wrong.

 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually if they're right they pulled off a major win.  I dont see the reckless bet, theyre on the hook for a year and then who cares

They will have given up a 2 and a 4 and thrown away 2 years at the QB position, after throwing a year at Teddy Bridgewater.  That's a lot of money and draft capital they'll have spent at QB over 3 years, and that's no small thing when it fails. 

Maybe no one gets fired over those 2 decisions, and if not, they had better nail their QB pick in the draft, whenever that happens (or they'd better get a quality veteran under center).  Getting 3 shots at a QB is a tough ask in this league.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"So called" being the key word there.  I.E. the same people who have no skin in the game and aren't held to account when they get stuff wrong.

As opposed to all of us without any skin in the game?  

Of course theyre held accountable, we post their mistakes daily.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As opposed to all of us without any skin in the game?  

Of course theyre held accountable, we post their mistakes daily.  

And yet they keep their jobs even when they get stuff wrong. 

Expert opinions being on Darnold’s side aren’t going to suddenly make him be secretly good at football.  Consensus opinion is wrong sometimes, and this is an example of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Unless they're right along with most of the so called experts who believe the same

Actually if they're right they pulled off a major win.  I dont see the reckless bet, theyre on the hook for a year and then who cares

First of all the “experts” list him as a bounce back candidate. “Most” of them are not confident he’ll become a FQB and they sure as Hell wouldn’t bet $20M on it. The biggest Darnold drum bangers here turn into slippery eels when you want to do a silly signature bet with them on what level of statistical success they believe Darnold will “bounce back” to.

The reason it is dumb is because the only way he plays under the option is if his play doesn't justify it. If he shows he is "the guy," Panthers will extend him for big money anyway. This was an idiotic move for them with a hugely negative net present value. The only rational reason to do it is to have leverage over Darnold to agree to a reasonable long term deal if he’s excellent in 2021; well the Panthers could’ve used the spectre of the franchise tag for that without committing now and eating that money if Darnold blows. This is the stupidest football move I’ve seen in my life by a team not called the Jets.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet they keep their jobs even when they get stuff wrong. 

Expert opinions being on Darnold’s side aren’t going to suddenly make him be secretly good at football.  Consensus opinion is wrong sometimes, and this is an example of it. 

Everyone gets it wrong.  GMs get it wrong.  
This wasn’t a who’s going to be right or wrong.  This was an answer to why Darnold got another chance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jgb said:

First of all the “experts” list him as a bounce back candidate. “Most” of them are not confident he’ll become a FQB and they sure as Hell wouldn’t bet $20M on it. The biggest Darnold drum bangers here turn into slippery eels when you want to do a silly signature bet with them on what level of statistical success they believe Darnold will “bounce back” to.

The reason it is dumb is because the only way he plays under the option are if he doesn’t earn it, as I’ve explained now several times. If he crushes it, Panthers will extend him for big money anyway. This was an idiotic move for them with a hugely negative net present value. The only rational reason to do it is to put some pressure on Darnold to agree to a reasonable long term deal if he’s excellent in 2021, well the Panthers could’ve used the spectre of the franchise tag for that without committing now and eating that money if Darnold blows. This is the stupidest football move I’ve seen in my life by a team not called the Jets.

A bounce back candidate because all that believe he has a chance believe he was put onto a horrible situation with a lack of talent and coaching.  That’s it, that’s why he gets to start while others are busts.

I get that they didn’t have to sign Darnold But whatever their reasoning, they picked up the option.  Who cares and why it’s so aggravating is the question.  
People here are cheering awfully hard for him to fail.  Want to argue all day and place bets as if winning a chalk bet means something to them.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

A bounce back candidate because all that believe he has a chance believe he was put onto a horrible situation with a lack of talent and coaching.  That’s it, that’s why he gets to start while others are busts.

I get that they didn’t have to sign Darnold But whatever their reasoning, they picked up the option.  Who cares and why it’s so aggravating is the question.  
People here are cheering awfully hard for him to fail.  Want to argue all day and place bets as if winning a chalk bet means something to them.   

I am cheering for the Panthers to fail because we now own draft capital that increases in value the more games they lose. Darnold doing poorly would tend to lead to more losses for Carolina. He can become Drew Brees in 2022, for all I care. Although that would sting if Wilson busts, it's irrelevant after this coming season.

A better question is why are Jets fans so emotionally invested in him succeeding? Absent some other rationale, one can only assume because being proven right on the Internet is more important to them than the Jets getting higher picks. Not to mention if JD just unloaded the next Drew Brees, that doesn't bode well for his evaluation of Wilson or his talent evals in general, which also is not a good sign for the Jets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jgb said:

I am cheering for the Panthers to fail because we now own draft capital that increases in value the more games they lose. QB is the most important player on the field, Sam doing poorly would tend to lead to more losses for Carolina. He can become Drew Brees in 2022, for all I care.

OK, theres this line of thinking.   I agree, lets root for the draft capital

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

OK, theres this line of thinking.   I agree, lets root for the draft capital

 

We have only been forced to repeat it ad naseum in the face of relentless allegations that we are terrible people for “hating” on poor widdle Sammy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jgb said:

We have only been forced to repeat it ad naseum in the face of relentless allegations that we are terrible people for “hating” on poor widdle Sammy.

I dont know, I dont see it quite that way.  

There arent more than a handful of people who wanted to stick with Sam.  Certainly not a case of "relentless allegations that we are terrible people for “hating” on poor widdle Sammy". Seems to me that most of us, even those who still believe he may turn it around agree that it was time to move on from Sam.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont know, I dont see it quite that way.  

There arent more than a handful of people who wanted to stick with Sam.  Certainly not a case of "relentless allegations that we are terrible people for “hating” on poor widdle Sammy". Seems to me that most of us, even those who still believe he may turn it around agree that it was time to move on from Sam.  

It’s hard to tell anything on the Internet. Could just be a very loud and annoying minority I will grant you that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jgb said:

I am cheering for the Panthers to fail because we now own draft capital that increases in value the more games they lose. Darnold doing poorly would tend to lead to more losses for Carolina. He can become Drew Brees in 2022, for all I care. Although that would sting if Wilson busts, it's irrelevant after this coming season.

A better question is why are Jets fans so emotionally invested in him succeeding? Absent some other rationale, one can only assume because being proven right on the Internet is more important to them than the Jets getting higher picks. Not to mention if JD just unloaded the next Drew Brees, that doesn't bode well for his evaluation of Wilson or his talent evals in general, which also is not a good sign for the Jets.

All true. Scary, but true.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 7/19/2021 at 2:43 PM, undertow said:

Giving up any draft pick for a back up would be a poor job by Douglas considering he showed no urgency in free agency signing a back up with a similar talent level and he just drafted one last year with a 4th.  It really makes very little sense which is probably why people are against it.

So... how you been?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2021 at 8:55 AM, jgb said:

I am cheering for the Panthers to fail because we now own draft capital that increases in value the more games they lose. Darnold doing poorly would tend to lead to more losses for Carolina. He can become Drew Brees in 2022, for all I care. Although that would sting if Wilson busts, it's irrelevant after this coming season.

A better question is why are Jets fans so emotionally invested in him succeeding? Absent some other rationale, one can only assume because being proven right on the Internet is more important to them than the Jets getting higher picks. Not to mention if JD just unloaded the next Drew Brees, that doesn't bode well for his evaluation of Wilson or his talent evals in general, which also is not a good sign for the Jets.

As a Met fan that saw them trade Nolan Ryan when I was 13, I can't fathom this line of thinking. After the player is gone, don't wish them any harm, but I sure as hell don't want them to be good/great. It's actually assinine, truth be told.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, section314 said:

As a Met fan that saw them trade Nolan Ryan when I was 13, I can't fathom this line of thinking. After the player is gone, don't wish them any harm, but I sure as hell don't want them to be good/great. It's actually assinine, truth be told.

What a sack kick it would be for Darnold to become good and Zach to bust. No Jets fan should want that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...