Big Picture

Young team with a first time HC & OC taking their first live snaps in a new offensive system & blocking scheme and a new defensive system. The defense actually played better than I expected. O-line needs time to gel together in the new scheme. These guys are going to take their lumps this year and that's fine. It builds character.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Young team with a first time HC & OC taking their first live snaps in a new offensive system & blocking scheme and a new defensive system. The defense actually played better than I expected. O-line needs time to gel together in the new scheme. These guys are going to take their lumps this year and that's fine. It builds character.

I do believe the loss of Gregg Knapp was felt yesterday. He was the veteran seen it all, done it all coach on offense. There is no substitute for experience. 

• Upvote 4

The biggest issue was the pass protection scheme. There was no chipping by the RBs, no TE help and missed communication from the interior OL that allowed quite a few free rushers.

In the 1st half, of Zach's 19 drop backs, he was pressured on 10 of them resulting in 3 sacks. And that wasn't because an OL got beat all the time, it was the OC didn't scheme properly. 

4 minutes ago, Claymation said:

The biggest issue was the pass protection scheme. There was no chipping by the RBs, no TE help and missed communication from the interior OL that allowed quite a few free rushers.

In the 1st half, of Zach's 19 drop backs, he was pressured on 10 of them resulting in 3 sacks. And that wasn't because an OL got beat all the time, it was the OC didn't scheme properly. 

This is pretty much what Saleh said — that the protection failures were multifactorial. 

54 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Scheming wasn’t the reason mcgovern and Van Roten couldn’t handle twists. Although i do agree that outside blitzers were often given a free rush with a TE or RB running right by them without even a thought of chipping.

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Scheming wasn’t the reason mcgovern and Van Roten couldn’t handle twists. Although i do agree that outside blitzers were often given a free rush with a TE or RB running right by them without even a thought of chipping.

I chalked that up to miss communication. They weren't being beat because of skill level.

Zach showed today that he has the right stuff. But he also played like a rookie at times. Bart Scott said the protection was there a few times if Zach had just trusted it and stepped up in the pocket vs bailing out. He really looked good in the 4th quarter.

I liked what Saleh said about one score games and learning how to win. Would give my left nut to beat te Pats next week.