Some possible CBA points-- Expanded playoffs and a draft lottery

Scott Dierking

• Jesse Rogers of ESPN reports that expanded postseason and a draft lottery are among the things being discussed in a potential new Collective Bargaining Agreemtn. 

The playoffs would expand to seven teams per league -- 14 overall -- and would involve a bye for the team with the best record in their respective league. The lottery would involve just the top three teams, but any team that didn't make the playoffs would have a chance to earn the first overall pick, similar to the NBA and NHL lotteries. The Collective Bargaining Agreement is set to expire at midnight on December 1. 

SOURCE: ESPN
    Nov 29, 2021, 5:26 PM ET

•  

16 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:
  • Jesse Rogers of ESPN reports that expanded postseason and a draft lottery are among the things being discussed in a potential new Collective Bargaining Agreemtn. 

The playoffs would expand to seven teams per league -- 14 overall -- and would involve a bye for the team with the best record in their respective league. The lottery would involve just the top three teams, but any team that didn't make the playoffs would have a chance to earn the first overall pick, similar to the NBA and NHL lotteries. The Collective Bargaining Agreement is set to expire at midnight on December 1. 

SOURCE: ESPN
    Nov 29, 2021, 5:26 PM ET

•  

Rob Manfred is baseball's own private covid. Only there is no shot to protect us from him. 

Just now, section314 said:

I despise the idea of the wildcard, always have, always will. Baseball plays 162 games to determine who the best teams are. Over the glorious history of the game , you can probably count on two hands the number of times there have been ties, necessitating a one game playoff. There are already two teams in the playoff that didn't win their division, now you could possibly add two more, one who might not have even finished 2nd in their division? This past season, Tampa won their division over both Boston and the Yankees by 9 games, yet were knocked out by one of them. That is outrageous.  As far as a draft lottery, baseball is vastly different than the other 3 sports in that there is never a consensus, sure fire #1 guy that you would tank for. Change for change's sake is stupid, but that is Manfred to a tee.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

and

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Upvote 1

Just now, chirorob said:

It's fine, but like they said, the MLB draft isn't really like the NFL/NBA.

I can't even name any of the last #1s

I can name a few recently:

Dansby Swanson with the Diamondbacks. Because the Braves announcers tell us all the time.

Mickey Moniak with the Phillies. Because I live in Philly and he is poster boy for incompetent GM here.

Casey Mize-Because he was the pick in my son's class.

Granted, I follow this much more closely than many, because we have been on the travel circuit and get to know who are considered the best players.

Baseball is so different than basketball and football because the games are not on a national stage.  Stating the over-obvious there.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2021 at 3:29 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Until the Mets squeak in and make a run to a WS title. Then I’m ok with it 

That'd be nice.

The problem with too much expansion of the playoffs is that eliminates any sort of drama for the top teams.  You can't have a big September series with two 90 win teams if you know they're both in anyway.  Home field advantage in baseball is fairly meaningless.

As someone who has always despised wildcards in the playoffs, and reluctantly having to admit that they will expand to 7 in each league, I hope they make two changes.  First, no division winner should ever play a wildcard from their own division unless it is in the LCS. What happened to Tampa last year was an outrage, having to play a team like Boston that they beat by 9 games in the regular season in the first rd. Second, in a best of 5 series, the WC should only get 1 home game. In a best of 7, it should only get 2, unless it happens to be a best of 7 with 2 WC's, in which the team with the best record would get the extra home game. MLB should pretty much follow the NFL, where the reward for being a WC is getting in the tournament, and only getting a home game if you advance and end up playing another WC.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Any end in sight to the lock out?

I hope so Max. I believe there are like 300 or so guys that don't have jobs yet. I know the MLBPA has some valid gripes, and some good ideas, but if you get into March and a bunch of guys haven't gotten checks in like 6 months, they may cause some movement.