Asset allocation for a young Jets team.

I am doing some Mock drafts with the Colts and I always include the Jets as teams I pick for.  It’s crazy to see how much better the picks could make the Jets compared to what most teams are getting.

Including the free agency signings, the Jets could easily upgrade 8 positions while last years rookies come back better.  Last years roster was bad, but a good draft can help.  

Put on your GM hat and make a plan after free agency is mostly done.  How does this play into the desire to trade up or down?  If they trade 2 seconds for a WR1, is that a good thing and what would your plan be? 

• Sympathy 1

I am not going to talk about specific players.

Trade down from 4 or 10 even trading down far to get a 1st next year.

Trade back up into the end of the 1st.

Pick at least two WR and I will have no issue drafting two of them in the top four picks.  Can't make the Mims mistake again, need to double dip.

Trade down with a pick or so in the 4th or 5th rounds to get a few late picks.  (Unless of course someone uber good falls that far.)

Assuming we end up with 9 picks as we have now: 

Wrs (2)

Oline (1)

TE (1)

RB (1)

Edge (1)

DT (1)

LB (1)

Secondary player CB or S (1)

• Upvote 3

Seems to me that many if not most see fans see the Jets needs as

EDGE

EDGE

EDGE

WR

CB

But I think the Jets list might look completely different. Something like

OL/EDGE/DT/WR All on roughly even ground

WR is tricky. If we pass at 4 and 10 we might not get any of the Top 8 guys.

10 seems logical for WR but likely you get 2nd choice at best there. Jets may select WR at 4 just to get the one they want or take a risk and take Jameson Williams at 10.

Sauce Gardner seems like such a logical pick but I am not sure the Jets after already signing one will go there

With the cost of top WRs exploding through the roof, the value of drafting a great WR would seem to have gone up significantly.  It used to be QB, Edge, LT were the big 3 because resigning the good ones was so expensive.  Well WR just blew past LT and is squarely in Edge territory.  Next year, the Franchise tag on WRs is also going to skyrocket.  So in principal, I have no issue taking a WR in the top-10 or even top-5 FOR THE RIGHT ONE.  

Now I can't say if any of the guys on the board are potential true #1 WRs, but if the Jets feel they are, then I have no issue with that pick there.  

Gardner is interesting.  The writeups glow about his upside and it makes you think of Revis.  Again, if we believe in that, then that's a fine pick as well.  My one problem is, we need an Edge and a WR very much.  More than CB right now I think.  I am uncomfortable waiting until #35 to draft either of those positions.  So unless a strong move-up from #35 into the 20s is in play, I can't see us taking Gardner and not paying the price in one of those other positions.

OL is a strong nice-to-have, but not as big a need right now IMO.  UNLESS Becton is not likely to be able to start the season.  In that case we have 3 big needs and 2 early picks to fill them.  Something's gonna have to give.  

• Upvote 2

On 3/28/2022 at 2:19 PM, nycdan said:

With the cost of top WRs exploding through the roof, the value of drafting a great WR would seem to have gone up significantly.  It used to be QB, Edge, LT were the big 3 because resigning the good ones was so expensive.  Well WR just blew past LT and is squarely in Edge territory.  Next year, the Franchise tag on WRs is also going to skyrocket.  So in principal, I have no issue taking a WR in the top-10 or even top-5 FOR THE RIGHT ONE.  

A lot will depend on whether Joe D (and other GMs) see this off season WR surge as an aberration or as a sign of things to come. If a lot of these high paid WRs underperform this year, more GMs will be wary of handing out such big deals next year which would suppress the market. If however they do well (or light it up across the board) then you can expect more of the same next year.

I'm hoping that we go WR somewhere in Rd 1 and again in the later rounds - it's been way too long since we've developed our own guys at this position and we need to have a pipeline of options ... if you end up with "too many" WRs in a couple of years it sets you up for trades with needy teams. WRs rotate in and out so you can justify having 6 on your roster easily (especially if some of them also double as ST guys like our man BB).

I expect the Jets to actively look to trade back from 10… although the Edge and Receiver class is deep the top tier of edge could be gone by 4 (Hutch and Thib).  The next edge on the Jets board may be gone by 10 and a reach at 4.

The Wide Receivers are all tier 2 by historical standards (no Chase, Jefferson in this class).  The wide receivers in this class would not be taken in the top 10 of any of the recent drafts.  

Goals for this Draft with the unique ammo the Jets happen to have this year at 4, 10, 35, 38, 69...

1. Jumpstart the defense with talent and youth, focusing at the most game-impacting positions like Edge and maybe CB.

2. Find a weapon at WR and maybe a RB to complement Michael Carter (a 1A/1B for this ZBS rushing system)

3. FINISH the job on the OLine and get insurance on Becton's health and Fant walking away after 2022 by drafting an OT.