You want the next big play dynamo, give him the ball and watch? Draft this stud;

A few years ago, I blew all your minds when I did a backflips celebrating that a certain player declared for the draft.  At that point, I shared with you all that Deebo Samuel would be the next big play, dynamo, give the ball and watch WR in the league.  I was right, duh but you are probably asking yourself, how did JiFapono, know this about Deebo?  Besides clearly being the best expert draft analyst of JetNation, what I did then and will do now, to prove this brilliant take and show you how I was so far ahead of everyone, including the draft community is by providing a highlight video, of course.  

First here is the proof of my brilliant take on Deebo.

And now, I present to you, a random highlight video I found on Youtube which clearly verifies my take that Wan'Dale is the next, give the ball and gtfo out of his way WR in the NFL and while screaming Wan'Dale at the TV, isnt as much fun as screaming DEEEBOOO!!!!  It's still pretty dang fun! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I love wandale. Hoping he falls to the 4th. I’m just having a hard time choosing between Calvin Austin and Wandale. Wandale was so fun to watch, but Austin tested much better for guys who will play similar roles 

Yes, Austin's testing was off the charts but, I dont think Wan'Dale's gave you any cause for concern.  He's fast and twitchy and explosive, just maybe not as explosive as Austin.  My only issue with Austin is, he's a slot guy, that's it, no?  Could be wrong but what I love about Wan'Dale and similarly Deebo is they were used all over the field and straight up dominated SEC play.  

I like Austin, think he could be nice little gem of a find but when you're highlights/big games are vs. Stephen F. Austin and Tulsa, I'm not jumping out of my seat to celebrate the way that Wan'Dale joined the SEC and took it by storm, 2nd in receptions, 2nd in yards, top 10 in TD's, 2nd in yards from scrimmage for a WR.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Yes, Austin's testing was off the charts but, I dont think Wan'Dale's gave you any cause for concern.  He's fast and twitchy and explosive, just maybe not as explosive as Austin.  My only issue with Austin is, he's a slot guy, that's it, no?  Could be wrong but what I love about Wan'Dale and similarly Deebo is they were used all over the field and straight up dominated SEC play.  

I like Austin, think he could be nice little gem of a find but when you're highlights/big games are vs. Stephen F. Austin and Tulsa, I'm not jumping out of my seat to celebrate the way that Wan'Dale joined the SEC and took it by storm, 2nd in receptions, 2nd in yards, top 10 in TD's, 2nd in yards from scrimmage for a WR.

Nice to see Wan'Dale get some love.  I wrote about him back in December, he's a nice little mid round WR that you could add and have some fun moving him around.  This is what I wrote about him back then, still kind of holds up actually. 

"-Wan'dale Robinson, Kentucky

Sparkplug.  Thats what you need to know, kid is very quick, but with that comes pretty small.  He reminds me of Toney last year a little bit in what he can do running routes and after the catch.  He needs work on his hands (like toney did), and to clean up some route running.  He also is pretty small and thats always a question. 

In terms of the jets does he fit on the field with moore?  Same style of player, but moore is a lightyear more polished. "

I prefer guys like Skyy Moore for the role we would be getting Robinson for, just because Moore has a little more versatility, but Moore stock is high and he's going to go in the 2nd.  Wan'Dale could be a nice 2nd wr drafted for this team that you could use on a lot of Mesh with his quickness and speed. 

• Upvote 1

Also have to be mindful that now that Berrios has established himself in a similar role and is locked up for 2 years these small quick wrs may not be the way we are looking to go right now.  

I also like Bo Melton in the same mold, who the jets were high on at the senior bowl. 

47 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Nice to see Wan'Dale get some love.  I wrote about him back in December, he's a nice little mid round WR that you could add and have some fun moving him around.  This is what I wrote about him back then, still kind of holds up actually. 

"-Wan'dale Robinson, Kentucky

Sparkplug.  Thats what you need to know, kid is very quick, but with that comes pretty small.  He reminds me of Toney last year a little bit in what he can do running routes and after the catch.  He needs work on his hands (like toney did), and to clean up some route running.  He also is pretty small and thats always a question. 

In terms of the jets does he fit on the field with moore?  Same style of player, but moore is a lightyear more polished. "

I prefer guys like Skyy Moore for the role we would be getting Robinson for, just because Moore has a little more versatility, but Moore stock is high and he's going to go in the 2nd.  Wan'Dale could be a nice 2nd wr drafted for this team that you could use on a lot of Mesh with his quickness and speed. 

Ah, must have missed it.  I wouldnt have created a new thread and bragged about my youtube scouting prowess.

I dont think the skill set is redundant with Elijah Moore.  I feel we want to think Moore has all this versatility to his game and while I'm not saying he doesnt, I dont think it's as dynamic as we'd like to believe.  I think he's much more a traditional WR than Robinson and his strength is getting open with his burst through his breaks and running precise routes.  Robinson has some of that but it's the part of his game that needs to be developed whereas, Moore came in with that being his strength.  Moore is going to win outside for this offense, Robinson could the guy you move all around and give OC's headaches, especially in 4 WR sets with Berrios on the field.  Small group but you can put a lot of smoke and mirrors out there and get some creative 1 on 1 situations.

I'm not going to go as far as I did with Deebo on my claim on Robinson.  Deebo, I knew.  Robinson, I'm confident.  That said, I really prefer him over every single mid-round prospect but admittedly, I didnt watch a ton of Western Michigan.  lol 

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Also have to be mindful that now that Berrios has established himself in a similar role and is locked up for 2 years these small quick wrs may not be the way we are looking to go right now.  

I also like Bo Melton in the same mold, who the jets were high on at the senior bowl. 

See my response above about Berrios presence.  I only think that adds to the dynamic but I do hear you.  That's 3 main targets under 6 feet.  However, Davis is 6'4, Mims (lol a boy can dream) is 6'3 and the new TE's about both 6'5+.  So I dont see it an issue and my ideal draft scenario is Robinson would be the 2nd WR taken in the draft for the Jets.

34 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

See my response above about Berrios presence.  I only think that adds to the dynamic but I do hear you.  That's 3 main targets under 6 feet.  However, Davis is 6'4, Mims (lol a boy can dream) is 6'3 and the new TE's about both 6'5+.  So I dont see it an issue and my ideal draft scenario is Robinson would be the 2nd WR taken in the draft for the Jets.

Well thats where I agree.  I think he could be an effective weapon if used correctly.  He's small, 5'8 178 (smaller even than berrios who is 5'9 190) but you could get creative with him, not in the ways some of the other guys have been used but he's certainly a good player to look at in the middle rounds.  

If the jets took him i wouldnt hate it, he's got a lot of wiggle, very very quick.  Not the production of Darden from last year but kind of a similar profile, very quick, makes guys miss, not easy to tackle, good production.  Similar style I feel like although Darden was a way more polished route runner. 

I like Wan'Dale but it really depends whose out there.  There are a lot of mid round guys that offer a little more flexibility in those rounds.  I mentioned Melton before who not only ran faster, but tested better and has some inside outside versatility.  I also like Shakur who may be available in those rounds as well. Skyy Moore but I do believe his stock has risen to a late 2nd now so probably not in this conversation. 

you could make cases for Jereth Sterns, but I think Robinson is more explosive personally.  

The guy I really like in the late mid rounds is Mike Woods, been talking to a few guys over the years and they think he's going to develop into a really solid player.  Different type of WR but could be groomed to take Mims spot or as a developmental replacement for Davis eventually. 

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Well thats where I agree.  I think he could be an effective weapon if used correctly.  He's small, 5'8 178 (smaller even than berrios who is 5'9 190) but you could get creative with him, not in the ways some of the other guys have been used but he's certainly a good player to look at in the middle rounds.  

If the jets took him i wouldnt hate it, he's got a lot of wiggle, very very quick.  Not the production of Darden from last year but kind of a similar profile, very quick, makes guys miss, not easy to tackle, good production.  Similar style I feel like although Darden was a way more polished route runner. 

I like Wan'Dale but it really depends whose out there.  There are a lot of mid round guys that offer a little more flexibility in those rounds.  I mentioned Melton before who not only ran faster, but tested better and has some inside outside versatility.  I also like Shakur who may be available in those rounds as well. Skyy Moore but I do believe his stock has risen to a late 2nd now so probably not in this conversation. 

you could make cases for Jereth Sterns, but I think Robinson is more explosive personally.  

The guy I really like in the late mid rounds is Mike Woods, been talking to a few guys over the years and they think he's going to develop into a really solid player.  Different type of WR but could be groomed to take Mims spot or as a developmental replacement for Davis eventually. 

There are a lot of intriguing mid-rounders this year, for sure. 

I'm just at the point where I want as many guys on the field, that just need one touch, doesnt really matter how, that can take it to the house.   I see Wan'Dale as possibly the best option of being that guy in the whole draft.

15 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

There are a lot of intriguing mid-rounders this year, for sure. 

I'm just at the point where I want as many guys on the field, that just need one touch, doesnt really matter how, that can take it to the house.   I see Wan'Dale as possibly the best option of being that guy in the whole draft.

he's up there for sure, i wouldnt say the best at least in my opinion, but he's up there

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 8:56 AM, JiFapono said:

I was surprised when I watched Austin a little - he actually played outside at Memphis. You could make the case that Robinson and Austin both need to play inside in the pros due to their size, but Austin looks like he has the better shot to spend time outside at the pro level to my untrained eyes. Curious what @Chrebetfan80 thinks of Austin, he wasn’t what I expected at all. 

Robinson’s production is undoubtedly more impressive, though. I think they’re surprisingly different even though they’ll get paired together because they’re both short. But both interesting prospects.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, derp said:

I was surprised when I watched Austin a little - he actually played outside at Memphis. You could make the case that Robinson and Austin both need to play inside in the pros due to their size, but Austin looks like he has the better shot to spend time outside at the pro level to my untrained eyes. Curious what @Chrebetfan80 thinks of Austin, he wasn’t what I expected at all. 

Robinson’s production is undoubtedly more impressive, though. I think they’re surprisingly different even though they’ll get paired together because they’re both short. But both interesting prospects.

I'm definitely biased in regards to SEC talent and it's mostly just because unless it's a really interesting game, I'm almost exclusively watching the SEC on Sat.  Obviously Florida has something to do with it and whenever I see a guy light them up, I typically pay attention to them the rest of the year and as was the case w/ Robinson.

I cant say I watched a ton of Austin but I have looked at him some more since this thread.  I think they are very different but not in the ways I expected.  I was really surprised by Austin's game.  I was expecting to see a lot of 9's and screens but he's actually a very good route runner.  His double move is ridiculous.  Now, there is a ton of film of him just blowing by guys in 1on1 coverage so you're almost watching and just laughing but, he's got some ridiculous set up game with his footwork.  He gets open and if he gets an inch he can take it a mile.  Very impressive.  He doesnt look like a 5'9 WR.  Thanks @BurntDice  I enjoyed going through that and think Austin can be a dangerous weapon in the NFL.  He actually reminded me of Elijah Moore. 

Still like my boy Wan'Dale more, especially for this offense.  ;-).  He's more shifty, making guys miss in a phone booth, take a blown up screen 30 yards type guy.  His stop go is ridiculous, very Kadarius Toney like, joystick shifty.  Both can run routes, both use their feet to set up and get separation both play bigger than they're size but I do think Robinson has a little more to offer than Austin in some of the nuance WR stuff ie; in flight adjustments, using body to shield, sideline footwork, 1st down awareness, etc.  

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'm definitely biased in regards to SEC talent and it's mostly just because unless it's a really interesting game, I'm almost exclusively watching the SEC on Sat.  Obviously Florida has something to do with it and whenever I see a guy light them up, I typically pay attention to them the rest of the year and as was the case w/ Robinson.

I cant say I watched a ton of Austin but I have looked at him some more since this thread.  I think they are very different but not in the ways I expected.  I was really surprised by Austin's game.  I was expecting to see a lot of 9's and screens but he's actually a very good route runner.  His double move is ridiculous.  Now, there is a ton of film of him just blowing by guys in 1on1 coverage so you're almost watching and just laughing but, he's got some ridiculous set up game with his footwork.  He gets open and if he gets an inch he can take it a mile.  Very impressive.  He doesnt look like a 5'9 WR.  Thanks @BurntDice  I enjoyed going through that and think Austin can be a dangerous weapon in the NFL.  He actually reminded me of Elijah Moore. 

Still like my boy Wan'Dale more, especially for this offense.  ;-).  He's more shifty, making guys miss in a phone booth, take a blown up screen 30 yards type guy.  His stop go is ridiculous, very Kadarius Toney like, joystick shifty.  Both can run routes, both use their feet to set up and get separation both play bigger than they're size but I do think Robinson has a little more to offer than Austin in some of the nuance WR stuff ie; in flight adjustments, using body to shield, sideline footwork, 1st down awareness, etc.  

Good stuff, I agree very much re Austin’s game/surprising nuance route running and the value of producing in the SEC.

The one thing that really jumped out to me about Robinson was his lack of length, and he does have really short arms. I think he’ll do best in the slot, but I could see him doing very well there. He’s definitely got impressive stop start, but in a functional way not a flashy “that won’t work in the pros” way - I guess it can be flashy but I think in a way that translates. Shows up getting open and obviously after the catch.

Think both understand angles and have strength in a way that lets them break arm tackles and stuff, hopefully in a way that translates.

I am biased in that I think the Jets need a guy who can threaten defenses downfield, so I get why you like Robinson’s fit but man I think they could use a guy who plays like Austin. And since I don’t like this WR class in the first that much, him in the range he’ll go is very interesting to me. They could also add a different guy for that role and add Robinson too though. I think they need multiple guys anyway. Two between the second and the fourth and at least one home run hitter for me.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, derp said:

Good stuff, I agree very much re Austin’s game/surprising nuance route running and the value of producing in the SEC.

The one thing that really jumped out to me about Robinson was his lack of length, and he does have really short arms. I think he’ll do best in the slot, but I could see him doing very well there. He’s definitely got impressive stop start, but in a functional way not a flashy “that won’t work in the pros” way - I guess it can be flashy but I think in a way that translates. Shows up getting open and obviously after the catch.

Think both understand angles and have strength in a way that lets them break arm tackles and stuff, hopefully in a way that translates.

I am biased in that I think the Jets need a guy who can threaten defenses downfield, so I get why you like Robinson’s fit but man I think they could use a guy who plays like Austin. And since I don’t like this WR class in the first that much, him in the range he’ll go is very interesting to me. They could also add a different guy for that role and add Robinson too though. I think they need multiple guys anyway. Two between the second and the fourth and at least one home run hitter for me.

I get it and I dont disagree about want that type of guy.  I also agree in double dipping.  In my perfect world Wan'Dale is the 2nd WR the Jets would take in this draft.  I just see what Deebo does for that offense and cant help but think Wan'Dale could be similar here, I'm not saying he Deebo, just saying, I think he posses a similar threat and you'd have to imagine Lil Mikey could get really creative with a player like that on the field. 

That said, I'd be excited about Austin as the 2nd WR taken as well.  No doubt.  He's electric. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2022 at 10:03 AM, derp said:

I liked robinson more than austin if im being honest.  Austin doesnt strike me from what I've watched as super twitchy, more speed with good lateral movement.  He's definitely got speed, and clearly was dominant in a few different roles, but I dont think he's very well rounded.  I think you take him, use him creatively for the first few years and hope he develops into a good slot player. He really didnt show much of route running from what I've seen on tape, and because he was clearly faster than everyone, I didnt see much in ways of setting up defenders.  

To me, I think robinson is a little more dynamic than austin but admittedly I havent watched as much fo these two because its redundant for the jets. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2022 at 7:52 AM, JiFapono said:

A few years ago, I blew all your minds when I did a backflips celebrating that a certain player declared for the draft.  At that point, I shared with you all that Deebo Samuel would be the next big play, dynamo, give the ball and watch WR in the league.  I was right, duh but you are probably asking yourself, how did JiFapono, know this about Deebo?  Besides clearly being the best expert draft analyst of JetNation, what I did then and will do now, to prove this brilliant take and show you how I was so far ahead of everyone, including the draft community is by providing a highlight video, of course.  

First here is the proof of my brilliant take on Deebo.

"Some expert!"  :)

image.png.e3668a18ae467cd82badeb9ac01eb448.png

• WTF? 1

@Jets Voice of Reason

here is what I love about this dude.  I'm going to first show you tape to dispute your silly "physicality" comment.  Peep this dude as a freshman.  Hard to bring down.  Shocking when you watch this game and know his size but also, pay attention to time and down and distance.  He pretty much won this game.

Same thing here.  Game winning catch, freshman, peep the adjustment.

Toughness?  How dare you question this man.  He did even have to play in this game

Love this game.  All over the field.  Doing it all.  Methodical move the chains to big plays.

This one doesnt pop out in the box score, a good, not great day but he shows it all once again.  My favorites are the adjustment he makes on the sideline, the all out dive on the throw back and then his play down the stretch fighting over and over and over again for 1st downs, showing physicality, show toughness, showing the nuances he understands as a WR;

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

@Jets Voice of Reason

here is what I love about this dude.  I'm going to first show you tape to dispute your silly "physicality" comment.  Peep this dude as a freshman.  Hard to bring down.  Shocking when you watch this game and know his size but also, pay attention to time and down and distance.  He pretty much won this game.

Same thing here.  Game winning catch, freshman, peep the adjustment.

Toughness?  How dare you question this man.  He did even have to play in this game

Love this game.  All over the field.  Doing it all.  Methodical move the chains to big plays.

This one doesnt pop out in the box score, a good, not great day but he shows it all once again.  My favorites are the adjustment he makes on the sideline, the all out dive on the throw back and then his play down the stretch fighting over and over and over again for 1st downs, showing physicality, show toughness, showing the nuances he understands as a WR;

JifaponoDeebo'Dale. 

im here for it. I like this kid a lot

• Upvote 1