Time for my annual look at roster "Locks, Bubbles, and Longshots"

Again, really nice job.

It appears your list is skills based, like a skills competition. But there's two other powerful considerations as to who we keep: JD's draft picks and cap considerations.

If Player A is a better than Player B, we might still cut A and keep B, if cutting B would result in significant dead cap. I'm sure this happens all the time. And then who JD drafted...a few posters already mentioned this one. JD would probably keep a player he drafted over a walk on, even if the walk on is a bit better than his draft pick.

It'd be almost impossible to comprise the 53 with all these considerations, so your 'skills based' list is just fine! Thank you for putting this together!

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, JiFapono said:

The other factor and I'm not sure how much of this had to do with availability but Bawden was playing like 70% of the ST's snaps, in addition to getting offensive run while I think Wesco was getting a bit more run offense but less on ST's.  I just feel they're redundant but I agree with your point, it will be highly dependent on who can play the FB position better.

I didn't think of that. If Bawden is a strength on ST, that might negate whatever advantage Wesco has for playing TE. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I didn't think of that. If Bawden is a strength on ST, that might negate whatever advantage Wesco has for playing TE. 

Bawden was called up off the PS in like Nov. and played roughly 30 more snaps then Wesco on the entire year on ST's and he was a priority signing.  So that could be telling, and before Wesco got hurt, Bawden was getting more ST's snaps then him.  

• Upvote 2

Good list… I see mostly health changes such as, Coleman is a lock if he is healthy. I could see Ruckert being inactive to start the season. Move Berrios and Mims up a shade.

The DL feels a bit shuffled and most difficult to project… switch Clemons and Rankins but honestly after those top 5, it’s a crap shoot for the final 4-5…

• Upvote 1

We may even see 11 or 12 DL if everybody stays healthy and keeps performing. There are guys in the other 2 position groups who would be easier to stash on the PS, less likely to be claimed or replaceable. Really don't want to have to choose between Thomas or Marshall or Curry and Zuniga unless a clear choice emerges during the rest of camp. 

2 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Good list… I see mostly health changes such as, Coleman is a lock if he is healthy. I could see Ruckert being inactive to start the season. Move Berrios and Mims up a shade.

The DL feels a bit shuffled and most difficult to project… switch Clemons and Rankins but honestly after those top 5, it’s a crap shoot for the final 4-5…

This is how I would rank the DL who make it for now…

John Franklin-Myers

Quinnen Williams

Carl Lawson

Sheldon Rankins

Jermaine Johnson II

Bryce Huff

Vinny Curry

Solomon Thomas

Nathan Shepherd

Michael Clemons

Jacob Martin makes it as a LB…