D'Brick works out at Pro Day

NFL | Ferguson works out at Pro Day

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:37:03 -0800

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Virginia OL D'Brickashaw Ferguson measured a height of 6-5 7/8 and a weight of 305 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash with times of 5.09 seconds and 5.07 seconds, while running the short shuttle in 4.89 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.64 seconds. Ferguson did slip on both of his runs due to the hard surface. He also measured a 30-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot-11 long jump.

NFL | Ferguson works out at Pro Day

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:37:03 -0800

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Virginia OL D'Brickashaw Ferguson measured a height of 6-5 7/8 and a weight of 305 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash with times of 5.09 seconds and 5.07 seconds, while running the short shuttle in 4.89 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.64 seconds. Ferguson did slip on both of his runs due to the hard surface. He also measured a 30-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot-11 long jump.

305lbs now, after two-a-days in the august heat, he will loose that 10-15lbs of water weight and be right back to his 290-295lb body wich will get bullrushed in the NFL with the size of some of those DE's. He's undersized, i'll pass.

It is kind of disappointing he didn't keep that extra weight on. That being said, it doesn't mean he can't put it on again if he wants to though.

People need to stop giving so much about weight with Brick

295, 305, 315 - who cares, the guy is a great player. But how he went from 297 at the senior bowl to 315 at the combine I have no idea, probably wasnt the best thing for him either, obviously not all added muscle!

People need to stop giving so much about weight with Brick

295, 305, 315 - who cares, the guy is a great player. But how he went from 297 at the senior bowl to 315 at the combine I have no idea, probably wasnt the best thing for him either, obviously not all added muscle!

You need the weight and size, or else its hard to be a great player at this level. It's not like everyone else isn't a great player, this is the NFL, you didn't get this far for sucking. At this level, you need to be a great player AND have the size. I'd feel better with him at 315. Maybe we can trade down with our 4 and pick up Winston Justice. If we sign Runyan, we don't need an RT as badly. Mangold to play Center, MJ Gilles to play RG, Kendall at LG. Jones and Moore become backups, and maybe Jones can eventually start at RT over Runyan in a few years.

You don't think he would be any better with 20 more lbs? I still think he's head and shoulders above the other LT in the draft, but like I said, its disappointing that he doesn't have that extra weight anymore. Like you said, it wasn't all muscle he put on, which was disappointing.

Trend is twords lighter lt's for pass rushing as to protect agains speed edge rushers. You need the speed agains the 250 - 275 lb speed DE's. If you are going to run and pound the ball you want one with more bulk. Depends what you want to do on O and what your phillosiphy will be.

305lbs now, after two-a-days in the august heat, he will loose that 10-15lbs of water weight and be right back to his 290-295lb body wich will get bullrushed in the NFL with the size of some of those DE's. He's undersized, i'll pass.

You are on crack, D brick is the best tackle to come out of the draft in a long time, he manhandled Mathias Kiwanuka in the senior bowl.

He has great size and strong arms, you guys would be making a mistake to pass on him.

Trend is twords lighter lt's for pass rushing as to protect agains speed edge rushers. You need the speed agains the 250 - 275 lb speed DE's. If you are going to run and pound the ball you want one with more bulk. Depends what you want to do on O and what your phillosiphy will be.

I agree size normally doesn't matter for O-line guys. Ferguson will be good in the pros, my problem with drafting him is that there are a dozen other good players at his position in this year's draft. Some are have just as much upside if not more. Like Marcus McNeill and Winston Justice.

Adrian Jones will develop into a solid LT. What we need is to reestablish the running game with a monster RT. I love Ryan O'Callaghan. The guy is freaking enormous and we can get him in either Round 2 or 3.

Pick a Tackle in rd 2..

Is BRick going to be 10x's better than the #2 or #3 OT...doubful...

But landing a Cutler or Leinert at 4 could be 10X's better than our current QB's.

Exactly. This draft is not deep at qb,running back and the playmaker positions but it is very deep at the O-line positions. Just look at how the raiders screwed themselves by taking Robert Gallery over guys like Ben Roethlisberger and Larry Fitzgerald.

I'm not saying Ferguson will be Robert Gallery but if we take Ferguson in Round 1, Rounds 2-5 are very slim pickings at the skill positions. Brodie Croyle and Brian Calhoun are not going to score td's for us regardless of who blocks for them.

Size doesn't matter for O-line guys? You guys are crazy. Strength and quickness are important, but you can't tell me that its not easier to push a guy around if he weighs 295 lbs instead of 320. If you have an undersized offensive lineman, he's going to get pushed around a little.

So let me get this straight. If he still weighed 310 then everything's ok. But now that he's 305 it means he'll be undersized by the start of the season & get run over?
No one said that. But even 5 extra pounds would make him 5lbs better, imo. He should put on as much weight as he can without losing his mobility.

5 lbs is like 1.5% of his total weight. It won't make any difference whatsoever in his play. People make it sound like he dropped down to 279.
And if its 5lbs of muscle its probably even less of a difference in his mobility. I still think/hope this is our guy at #4 if he drops to us, unless we trade down.

But that still doesn't mean he couldn't be improved with a little more weight.

Of course. If he's exactly as mobile at 310 as he was at 288, then duh. But if he finalizes out at 300 give-or-take he'll still be great. Mawae barely played above 290 most of his years here & was going up against 320-370 lb DT's. Now while he may not have plowed over those DT's, they didn't exactly push him back into the QB's face either.

Reality is that while some more teams are going back to the 3-4, most still use a 4-3 so he'll be going up against DE's that are going to try to finesse their way around him, not plow over him. And I seriously doubt even a 320-lb, 3-4 DE could plow over, through, or otherwise shove around a 295-300 lb LT.

You need the weight and size, or else its hard to be a great player at this level. It's not like everyone else isn't a great player, this is the NFL, you didn't get this far for sucking. At this level, you need to be a great player AND have the size. I'd feel better with him at 315. Maybe we can trade down with our 4 and pick up Winston Justice. If we sign Runyan, we don't need an RT as badly. Mangold to play Center, MJ Gilles to play RG, Kendall at LG. Jones and Moore become backups, and maybe Jones can eventually start at RT over Runyan in a few years.

Your wrong. If you look at all the great pass rushers in the NFL today there are not many in the 290-300 pound range. Abe, Jevon Kearse, Dwight Freeney... these guys are all in the 250-260 range and lose the same 5-10 pounds that everyone else does during 2 a days.

If you don't draft a stud LT because he only weighs in the 295-300 range we would be considered morons. Wait till this guy meets up with D-rob for a couple beers at Hooters one night and the two of them pound 400 hot wings. Yeah its not muscle and he can gain the weight that way too and will if he is pushed to do so but this is just stupid. We are nit picking that the guy is maybe 5-10 pound lighter than we would like. From my knowledge he has always played at 290 and yeah he should put on 10 pounds to play in the NFL he put on about 25 before the combine so what does that tell you? He obviously has the capacity to put some weight on like most linemen in the NFL do.

Your wrong. If you look at all the great pass rushers in the NFL today there are not many in the 290-300 pound range. Abe, Jevon Kearse, Dwight Freeney... these guys are all in the 250-260 range and lose the same 5-10 pounds that everyone else does during 2 a days.

If you don't draft a stud LT because he only weighs in the 295-300 range we would be considered morons. Wait till this guy meets up with D-rob for a couple beers at Hooters one night and the two of them pound 400 hot wings. Yeah its not muscle and he can gain the weight that way too and will if he is pushed to do so but this is just stupid. We are nit picking that the guy is maybe 5-10 pound lighter than we would like. From my knowledge he has always played at 290 and yeah he should put on 10 pounds to play in the NFL he put on about 25 before the combine so what does that tell you? He obviously has the capacity to put some weight on like most linemen in the NFL do.

Well, looking at all the great LTs, they seem to all have good size. I think it's more important to compare him to others in his position, rather than the size of the people he is going against. I understand what you're getting at, but I think you're wrong.

Well, looking at all the great LTs, they seem to all have good size. I think it's more important to compare him to others in his position, rather than the size of the people he is going against. I understand what you're getting at, but I think you're wrong.

Walter Jones - 305lbs

Best LT in the NFL.

Most NFL Left Tackles are in The 305 to 320 pound area. There are very few 330 left tackles in the NFL.

Chris Samuels is 310

Matt Light is 305

Levi Jones is 300

Walter Jones is 315

Jordan Gross is 300

Strength and speed are very important in The NFL. There's no question about it. Size and weight are important as well but those are numbers for paper.

When a football player gets on the field, He has to make plays. What he weighs and how tall he is, goes out the window when he is competing with someone.

Yes, but during the season he will be 290. Isnt that a bit small for the bullrusher type DE in today's NFL?

That is just your guess though... Which is as good as mine... my guess is that he already knows that he needs to put on a couple LB's(apparent from him going into the combine at 315) and will be 300...

Lets be real here... the guy will put on the weight. When you are 6 foot 5 and 290 pounds do you really think that putting on an extra 10 is going to be that tough? No it won't be and it's stupid for any of us to even worry about this.

Archived