Yet another thread on Zach and the roughing the passer penalty

would the narrative be this bad - and would the performance be worse if the following happened:

no JFM penalty (which on further look is dumb on JFM as well as the refs) - we get the TD.

the 2 boneheaded picks are not there (the throwaway INT and the other one in the 4th quarter).

obviously we don't know how the game plays out but while ZW looked bad, clean those two mistakes up and the discussion is less harsh.  but that's my opinion?  others?

i think we win with the pick 6.  the crowd and momentum just was so deflated after that penalty.

The game actually reminded me a lot of the 2004 Ravens game (Quincy Carter). One bad play (Lamont Jordan halfback pass int).

Just a game in which the Jets were in complete control at home and just gave it away on one play (2 plays in this one). 

• Upvote 1

Without going all butterfly effect theory, the non-pick 6/JFM penalty only happens because Wilson made a bad throw initially. 

I wasn't at the game, so can't comment on the deflating effect the JFM penalty had on the crowd, but we led 10-6 at the half. We had an entire half of football to right any wrong and win the game. That play didn't need to become a signature 'Same Old Jets' moment if we were good enough. 

I'll say one thing in defense of Zach. Before re-watching the highlights, I had it in my head the second and third picks really cost us the game, but they didn't. It was 19-10 at the time of the second pick. I thought it was closer. The Patriots were dominating before the second pick. 

The second and third Wilson picks were still two stupid plays (that reveal a longer term concern issue about Wilson's  composure levels) and they absolutely cost us the chance of a comeback. But if he throws those two balls into the crowd, we still lose.

The Patriots were better coached in the second half, and deserved to win the game. 

• Upvote 2

Just dumb dumb stupid fuching football and it’s not the first time these guys made such boneheaded unbelievably stoooopid plays. 
My trust in Zach was waning to begin but as he is a only in his second year was being patient but yesterday pushed me closer to the Zach sucks camp. 
Still have a glimmer of hope that he can turn it around but not so optimistic now   Still feeling yesterday brutal loss as I wanted them to give the Pats a very well deserved beat down and to lose on stupid plays makes it hurt a bit deeper 

27 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

would the narrative be this bad - and would the performance be worse if the following happened:

no JFM penalty (which on further look is dumb on JFM as well as the refs) - we get the TD.

the 2 boneheaded picks are not there (the throwaway INT and the other one in the 4th quarter).

obviously we don't know how the game plays out but while ZW looked bad, clean those two mistakes up and the discussion is less harsh.  but that's my opinion?  others?

i think we win with the pick 6.  the crowd and momentum just was so deflated after that penalty.

We don’t live in a world of what if.

We live in a world of what is.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Without going all butterfly effect theory, the non-pick 6/JFM penalty only happens because Wilson made a bad throw initially. 

I wasn't at the game, so can't comment on the deflating effect the JFM penalty had on the crowd, but we led 10-6 at the half. We had an entire half of football to right any wrong and win the game. That play didn't need to become a signature 'Same Old Jets' moment if we were good enough. 

I'll say one thing in defense of Zach. Before re-watching the highlights, I had it in my head the second and third picks really cost us the game, but they didn't. It was 19-10 at the time of the second pick. I thought it was closer. The Patriots were dominating before the second pick. 

The second and third Wilson picks were still two stupid plays (that reveal a longer term concern issue about Wilson's  composure levels) and they absolutely cost us the chance of a comeback. But if he throws those two balls into the crowd, we still lose.

The Patriots were better coached in the second half, and deserved to win the game. 

I don’t think the coaching staff is taking enough heat. They did a terrible job getting the team ready for the 2nd half. 

17 minutes ago, Mario said:

The game actually reminded me a lot of the 2004 Ravens game (Quincy Carter). One bad play (Lamont Jordan halfback pass int).

Just a game in which the Jets were in complete control at home and just gave it away on one play (2 plays in this one). 

Remember that one well .

I agree. 

Just now, Mario said:

I don’t think the coaching staff is taking enough heat. They did a terrible job getting the team ready for the 2nd half. 

100%. We seem to go all stupid late in the first half of games as well. 

It's natural on here and on social media in general to focus on Wilson's melt-down and ignore a lot of the other stuff. Hopefully the coaching staff are looking at the bigger picture and reflecting on their own accountability levels. Otherwise, the outcome will be the exact same in three weeks time, regardless of who is QB on the Jets. 

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We don’t live in a world of what if.

We live in a world of what is.

we all know "what is" in this situation.

my guess is Zach will learn to throw those balls away.  curious as to whether that would change the narrative.

my guess is if the pick 6 stood, we'd have another week of the Jets winning in spite of Zach threads.