Changeup! Let's Talk LB's

Chrebetfan80

Change up for me, and maybe its because this season I spent most of my time with the LB's and as a DC but I think this may be the only real NEED on the team this year that you can identify. 

My initial thoughts and If we are just talking ILB's  (We all know will anderson will get all of the love this year) We'll dig into under the radar guys as we go but lets get the initial top guys out of the way first. 

Trenton Simpson is my initial favorite if we go an early round LB.  His speed is rumored to be in the high 4.3's if you talk to guys at clemson, and he is an explosive hitter. While he hits hard he isnt always the surest tackler and will get pushed around sometimes in the run game, but i think this is more of a technique issue rather than a strength issue.  Dudes an athletic freak and a true sideline to sideline player. 

DeMarvion Overshown: another absolute freak.  6-4?  i mean the length alone makes him dangerous in coverage as well as rushing the passer.  He's about as versatile as they come as a backer.  He hits, he tackles, he tracks ball carriers, he's an all around great lb and fits the mold of rangy space players that saleh seems to like (fred warner 6'3 229. DO 6'4 223). could easily see them grabbing this guy and having him being a fixture in the middle for a long time. 

Noah Sewel:  Prototypical 4-3 mike backer.  About as solid a prospect as you can get.  But that leads me to my main question, if he's so good all the time (and i believe he is) why does he not make the impact he should?  He got a little abused in the Utah game last year, so that worries me with run heavy teams we play in division.  Still, maybe the most instinctual player at the position in the top end of this draft for LB. 

To'oto'o:  Liked him last year had he came out, kid shows up in big spots and is the leader of the alabama defense (we see what those types of players have done in the league). My reasoning for putting him 4th so far? while he has great numbers, i just havent seen the consistency id want to see or the eye popping ability some of the others on the list have. 

This will all change as the year goes on i have to do deep dives but wanted to get the convo started.

The linebacker conversation is pretty interesting draft wise. This is a little vague but I think results have been mixed at best for first round pure off ball linebackers. I think what's asked of guys at the NFL level, particularly in coverage, is a lot more demanding than what they have to do in college - but then linebacker is also a pretty instinct heavy position where pure tools don't play the same way as they do at a position like edge. Those tools still get guys drafted early and it seems like recently the projection just hasn't actually come to fruition. I'd firmly lean towards taking someone or multiple guys late day two/early day three or even in the second round if it was a tremendous fit - wouldn't be against an absolute slam dunk guy earlier than that but I'm not completely sure there's one in that class. 

I wonder how the team and coaching staff feel about selecting a linebacker high. II don't recall the Eagles (where Douglas came from) spending high picks on linebackers and the 49ers and Seahawks (where the coaching staff has its roots) made a living off of developing mid round linebackers like Fred Warner and Bobby Wagner into Pro Bowlers. 

A lot of this is going to depend on how they handle Kwon Alexander.  The re-structuring of Mosley's contract locks him in for at least another season.  If Kwon is extended, that gives them the same three guys who they appear to be very comfortable with.  If you're drafting Mosley's successor for the following season, it's hard to see them using a pick in the top 3 rounds but I guess they're deep enough that you can't rule that approach out.

But if Kwon walks in FA, it means the guy they take should be expected to start next year, meaning a much earlier pick is a possibility.

A few guys I really like who range anywhere from day 1 to UDFA.

Daiyan Henley (Wash St)

Ivan Pace (Cincy)

Nick Herbig (Wisc)

DeMarvion Oversshown (Texas)

Sirvocea Dennis (Pitt)

Payton Wilson (NC State with injury concerns)

Isaiah Moore (NC State)

Jeremy Banks (Tenn)

Amari Gainer (FSU LB who has been getting some run at edge)

Rich Miller (Kansas)

Daniel Green (K State)

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

A lot of this is going to depend on how they handle Kwon Alexander.  The re-structuring of Mosley's contract locks him in for at least another season.  If Kwon is extended, that gives them the same three guys who they appear to be very comfortable with.  If you're drafting Mosley's successor for the following season, it's hard to see them using a pick in the top 3 rounds but I guess they're deep enough that you can't rule that approach out.

I don't think Mosley's restructure locks them into anything.  They just moved $15M of 2022 salary into bonus money and added void years.  It gave them $11M or so of cap space this year.  They did not guarantee anything that wasn't already guaranteed.  They just delayed having it effect 2022 cap.  I think they used the money to sign Duane Brown.  They still save the $17M each in 2023 and 2024 salary if they cut him. 

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think Mosley's restructure locks them into anything.  They just moved $15M of 2022 salary into bonus money and added void years.  It gave them $11M or so of cap space this year.  They did not guarantee anything that wasn't already guaranteed.  They just delayed having it effect 2022 cap.  I think they used the money to sign Duane Brown.  They still save the $17M each in 2023 and 2024 salary if they cut him. 

I'd have to look at it again but at the time of the move I recall some of the pundits saying it locked Mosley in for next season.  If not, then LB early is almost a must.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

But if Kwon walks in FA, it means the guy they take should be expected to start next year, meaning a much earlier pick is a possibility.

Daiyan Henley (Wash St)

Ivan Pace (Cincy)

Nick Herbig (Wisc)

Sirvocea Dennis (Pitt)

Isaiah Moore (NC State)

Jeremy Banks (Tenn)

Rich Miller (Kansas)

Daniel Green (K State)

this is the basic idea right? We know Williams and Mosely are locked in for next year, and the staff loves williams (possibly will try to extend him earlier rather than later).  If Kwon is let go then I can see us reloading with an earlier round LB considering there is not any premiere need on the team going forward (only one that makes the most sense would be OT) Where the jets are predicted to pick puts them in an interesting slot to look at LB in the first 3 rounds if Kwon walks and they can groom mosely's eventual replacement. 

Either way I believe they will look to add someone at somepoint in the draft.. Whether it is early on or later on will be determined by what happens with the current guys, but I do think this position is one of the few that warrants discussion this offseason. 

I like your list, some guys I have to look into more but this is going to a position of dives this season for me. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I thought it locked him in for next year.  Either way I don't believe with his level of play and his leadership that they will look to cut him even with a high price tag. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

this is the basic idea right? We know Williams and Mosely are locked in for next year, and the staff loves williams (possibly will try to extend him earlier rather than later).  If Kwon is let go then I can see us reloading with an earlier round LB considering there is not any premiere need on the team going forward (only one that makes the most sense would be OT) Where the jets are predicted to pick puts them in an interesting slot to look at LB in the first 3 rounds if Kwon walks and they can groom mosely's eventual replacement. 

Either way I believe they will look to add someone at somepoint in the draft.. Whether it is early on or later on will be determined by what happens with the current guys, but I do think this position is one of the few that warrants discussion this offseason. 

I like your list, some guys I have to look into more but this is going to a position of dives this season for me. 

Believe Quincy Williams is a UFA this coming offseason. Agree staff loves him and hopefully the idea of playing with his brother is appealing to both of them, but he’s up in the air at the moment.

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

Daiyan Henley (Wash St)

Ivan Pace (Cincy)

Nick Herbig (Wisc)

Sirvocea Dennis (Pitt)

Isaiah Moore (NC State)

Jeremy Banks (Tenn)

Rich Miller (Kansas)

Daniel Green (K State)

Forgot to mention Iowa's Jack Campbell.  Should be a very good player who can start early on.

12 hours ago, derp said:

Believe Quincy Williams is a UFA this coming offseason. Agree staff loves him and hopefully the idea of playing with his brother is appealing to both of them, but he’s up in the air at the moment.

damn you are correct, he is an UFA...  The jets actually have quite a bit of what will be considered good UFA going into the offseason so it will be interesting to see how they get everyone locked up over the course of the year or in the end.  

Both Kwon and Williams possibly out makes this a much more interesting conversation going forward considering that if they cannot sign them back then this becomes a big position of need. 

16 hours ago, derp said:

Quincy was cut by the Jags and given an opportunity with the Jets. He clearly has made the most of the opportunity but he does seem like a guy who would puts some value on the fact that the Jets gave him the opportunity and recognize the system fits his skillset very well.