Opinion: Which team had the best 2023 Draft

Ron Rico

We’ll obviously see how it plays out, but felt like the Eagles completely crushed it. Just plucked good players who fell to them.

Steelers had a similar draft, seemed very strong. Patriots also did annoyingly well, they took the random small school day two guy they alway do but he was much more on the radar than last years - wanted the Jets to take him actually. I liked what Buffalo did as well. And Cincinnati seems to always have a solid draft.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, derp said:

We’ll obviously see how it plays out, but felt like the Eagles completely crushed it. Just plucked good players who fell to them.

Steelers had a similar draft, seemed very strong. Patriots also did annoyingly well, they took the random small school day two guy they alway do but he was much more on the radar than last years - wanted the Jets to take him actually. I liked what Buffalo did as well. And Cincinnati seems to always have a solid draft.

Yes, things can change, but going on the available data, they crushed it. Even the trade with the Lions for Swift was A+

• Upvote 3

I really like what the Lions did

How athletic is the Detroit Lions’ 2023 draft class according to RAS? - Pride Of Detroit

On offense they picked up 2 guys that are going to contribute right away with Gibbs and LaPorta. On defense they also have two rookies, Brian Branch and Jack Campbell. 

If Hendon Hooker can make the transition to the pro-level, that's just a cherry on the top. 

I'm looking forward to watching the Lions kick the sh*t out of Green Bay twice this year.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

I really like what the Lions did

How athletic is the Detroit Lions’ 2023 draft class according to RAS? - Pride Of Detroit

On offense they picked up 2 guys that are going to contribute right away with Gibbs and LaPorta. On defense they also have two rookies, Brian Branch and Jack Campbell. 

If Hendon Hooker can make the transition to the pro-level, that's just a cherry on the top. 

I'm looking forward to watching the Lions kick the sh*t out of Green Bay twice this year.

Yeah I think the Lions crushed it. I think all 4 of those guys can contribute right away. Throw in Hooker to develop, that's huge. 

Cardinals did well, plus set themselves up pretty nice in next years draft if things go sideways. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Yeah I think the Lions crushed it. I think all 4 of those guys can contribute right away. Throw in Hooker to develop, that's huge. 

Cardinals did well, plus set themselves up pretty nice in next years draft if things go sideways. 

No doubt. 

It's good in the sense that some of these historically bad teams, or teams that have been down lately, might be dramatically improved which makes it better for all the teams in the league as far as fan interest. I get sick of seeing the same teams go to the SB every year. 

I liked the Steelers draft the most, followed by the Seahawks and Titans. Jealous of the draft picks the Cardinals accumulated for 2024. I think that Philly draft hinges on Jalen Carter keeping his sh*t together, and it sounds like that’s less than a coin flip probability. Nolan Smith is whatever. The Colts are going to end up with the first pick in the draft next year and will be selling Richardson on the cheap so they can take Caleb Williams. 

• Upvote 1

I think the Eagles based on the mock draft community, but they also had a lot to work with, having 2 first round picks.  

I love what the Cardinals did, mainly the Houston pick.  That has a chance to be an all time type deal if Houston sucks as most people expect.  

Weirdly, I like that the Packers did as well.  Van Ness was a reach, but he fits that defense perfectly, and they developed Gary as well.  I love Jayden Reed, and Musgrave fits that offense too.  Watson/Reed/Doubs with Musgrave has a ton of potential.  

• Upvote 2

On 5/1/2023 at 10:16 AM, Zachtomims47 said:

Cards are set up very well for next year.

Their #1.   The Texans' #1.  (both probably top 10 at least)

Their 3rd Rounder.   Texans' 3rd Rounder.   Titans' third rounder.

• Upvote 1

Yeah obviously Philly.  Crazy the amount of talent they added. 

Considering the lack of picks, I thought Baltimore absolutely crushed it by giving Lamar a weapon like Flowers, and then somehow managing to nab Trenton Simpson in the 3rd.  I also really liked what New England was doing up until they traded up for a kicker.  Gonzalez and White in the first 2 rounds was huge.  I think the idea of building up your defense now and then maybe making a play on one of the top QBs in the 2024 draft would be the right route for them to take.

Sneaky big winner though is Arizona.  Moved down, picked up a franchise LT in Paris Johnson, got some other nice pieces like Ojulari at Edge and the corner from Syracuse, and now pretty much every mock have them picking 1st and 2nd overall next year.  Obviously a lot can change, but imagine walking out of that draft with Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison Jr?  Talk about a franchise changing draft.....got dayum.  Those two guys plus Paris Johnson is a nice little nucleus to build an offense around.  Add in whatever picks they're about to get for Hopkins, who I still expect them to trade....I think they've set themselves up really nicely for the longterm.  AZ fans just have to endure one more awful season but IMO it will be well worth it in the end.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Yeah obviously Philly.  Crazy the amount of talent they added. 

Considering the lack of picks, I thought Baltimore absolutely crushed it by giving Lamar a weapon like Flowers, and then somehow managing to nab Trenton Simpson in the 3rd.  I also really liked what New England was doing up until they traded up for a kicker.  Gonzalez and White in the first 2 rounds was huge.  I think the idea of building up your defense now and then maybe making a play on one of the top QBs in the 2024 draft would be the right route for them to take.

Sneaky big winner though is Arizona.  Moved down, picked up a franchise LT in Paris Johnson, got some other nice pieces like Ojulari at Edge and the corner from Syracuse, and now pretty much every mock have them picking 1st and 2nd overall next year.  Obviously a lot can change, but imagine walking out of that draft with Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison Jr?  Talk about a franchise changing draft.....got dayum.  Those two guys plus Paris Johnson is a nice little nucleus to build an offense around.  Add in whatever picks they're about to get for Hopkins, who I still expect them to trade....I think they've set themselves up really nicely for the longterm.  AZ fans just have to endure one more awful season but IMO it will be well worth it in the end.  

They can see if Kyler can come back and actually play next year.   If not, they can move on from him after 24, or possible move him just to alleviate salary cap, but they will have 2 very high picks next year.   They can add 2 franchise players, or draft one, and possibly do the trade down thing again and add that much more the following year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

They can see if Kyler can come back and actually play next year.   If not, they can move on from him after 24, or possible move him just to alleviate salary cap, but they will have 2 very high picks next year.   They can add 2 franchise players, or draft one, and possibly do the trade down thing again and add that much more the following year.

Yeah they could secure their new QB and trade down for another kings ransom.  Potentially an extra 1st in 2025 as well, all while still getting a kid like Harrison Jr, Alt, Bowers, etc.  

Lots of different routes they could take.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

If the Jets were in Arizona's position right now I wonder what our fanbase would be saying.  They're likely going to pick their 3rd young QB to build around (Josh Rosen, Kyler Murray, and maybe Caleb Williams?) in the past 5 years or so.  But they have a real chance to shoot up the standings if things break their way.  Very similar to what's happening in Jax.

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If the Jets were in Arizona's position right now I wonder what our fanbase would be saying.  They're likely going to pick their 3rd young QB to build around (Josh Rosen, Kyler Murray, and maybe Caleb Williams?) in the past 5 years or so.  But they have a real chance to shoot up the standings if things break their way.  Very similar to what's happening in Jax.

Best case scenario, the team improves, the Texans are awful, and they still have a top 3 pick to either draft a stud or trade down for multiple 1st rounders.

On 8/30/2023 at 6:43 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Football's weird.  While they have drafted QBs high recently, including a recent 1st overall in Murray, none of those guys were those "generational sure-things" that you see once every blue moon, like Peyton, Luck, Lawrence.  Those guys who are so hyped coming out, who have that top spot locked up for a year+.  Williams seems like that type of prospect.  I think if it was us, we'd be excited and willing to sit through the garbage for a year for a chance to get to watch something truly exciting next season and beyond. 

However if they do go through this crap season and then Williams doesn't declare, then yeah that would be a very Jets-like series of events.