Sperm's Dream Draft

Sperm Edwards

Sperm’s dream draft (with player availability at that slot based in reality; e.g. we’re not getting Bobby Carpenter or Marcus McNeill at #35, etc).

Since it’s the best one I’ve heard, I’m doing the Minnesota trade (#4 for #17/#48/#51). If Leinart falls to us at #4 we may be able to get an even better one, but I'm sticking with this for now:

#17 LT Marcus McNeill

#29 OC Nick Mangold

#35 OG Max Jean-Gilles

#48 RT Andrew Whitworth

#51 TE Anthony Fasano

#71 WR Demetrius Williams

#97 OLB Stanley McClover

#103 NT Montavious Stanley

#138 QB Erik Meyer

#212 DE Jason Hatcher

#218 ILB Oliver Hoyte

I was tempted to take a RB like Riggs at #71, and that may be the better move, but it take longer to develop a playmaker at WR than RB and there are RB's available in the draft & FA every single year who won't need 1-3 years to "groom" & develop timing with the QB. I'm ok with our mediocre RB trio for one year while rebuilding.

I'm also sticking with Pennington/Ramsey for a look-and-see for this year. Drafting a low-risk/high-upside QB with a rifle-arm in the 5th round to replace Bollinger (sorry Jetstone).

Basically I'm trying to build the o-line with a blocking TE who can also make plays. I think this would be a VERY formidable line for many years (Kendall should be fine for a couple more years & that's more than adequate time to find/groom his replacement):

McNeill - Kendall - Mangold - Jean-Gilles - Whitworth (+ Fasano)

Backups: Jones, Moore, Katnik, Morley, existing backups/UDFA's (we should still be ok even with an injury).

They'll take 2006 to develop & then go get our stud RB via draft/FA in 2007. Let our current 3 take the punishment, not our future guy. Same with QB. Besides, once they develop I think any number of guys could perform behind this line.

Defensive front-seven should be fine. We just needed a fatass to put in at NT and I think Stanley fits the bill. If that's to be filled in via draft it has to be now b/c they generally don't develop into starters immediately. Also got an outside pass-rusher in McClover.

Love your philosophy, just not the means of getting there. I fully agree that a great team starts with a solid OL, but I don't think we need to focus solely on that with our 1st 4 picks in your scenario. If the trade worked out the way you have it, I'd like to see 2 or 3 of them used on OL and the rest towards D.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/NickelPackage/tradevaluechart.htm

if Viking call Jets they would hang up on that trade offer :Cuss: :Typotux:

We would hardly hang up the phone. Even using the charts it's about even (1800-1760). Compare that to Cleveland giving an early 2nd-rounder to move from 7 to 6 or the Atl/Den trade last month.

For the other comments:

SouthernJet: The problem with addressing 4 OL spots later in the draft is you have to give too much time in between inserting starters. The later-round guys can certainly pan out but you can't put them in there right away with each other. They'd need to be spaced out over 2-3 years. Also I think that finding one late is fine for addressing ONE long-term need along the OL, not four. Thanks to Terry, that's the situation we're in. I don't want a starting OL with Jones/Moore/Katnik.

Bman: I'm not trying to win a superbowl in year one. We have 3 RB's who should be fine for one year. Only question-mark is at QB where we have at least Ramsey (I think Pennington's shot but that's neither here nor there) and I took a lower-risk guy with a legit arm.

Greensmacks/Bman: As far as skill players, I do consider both Fasano & Williams to be that. Let the not-our-future RB's run behind the rookie line. Coles is going to be here for a long time with his contract, and Cotchery hasn't even been given a chance to start a single game yet; so how many WR's do you want to add? I added ONE, and he's going to be a good one. I don't see how that immediately translates into all 3-TE sets.

Pittsburgh is a good example. The line was already in place and that went a LONG way to the immediate success of an inexperienced QB & an UDFA at halfback.

Hasty: McNeill most definitely can play LT. He certainly has the mobility & in straightaway speed (though I'm not sure why they do 40-times for OL) he's as fast as Brick at 290 lbs. And I read he hasn't given up a single sack in over 3 years.

Sperm;

Good picks. And I think they are all realistic, although Stanley mayt be gone by that time. Only other one that may be gone is Williams, at #71. Maybe.

Nice job. And yes, I can see drafting a slew of O.Linemen at the top of the draft, and presto! Instant O.Line.

so when we trade up 2003 for D. Robertson we gave up 13 and 22 and 4th round pick gave up more but we should be nice let steal the pick if Jets make that trade Mr Tannenbaum fired on the spot but all Viking fans would laugh as steal the 4th pick

if Viking want move up they will have to overpay to do so

as for denver steal the 15th pick for Atlanta Falcon

if Falcon make bad move then the Jets should do the same? no way

go back look last 5 years of trades most of them use the chart and team that move up most of the time :Typotux:

so when we trade up 2003 for D. Robertson we gave up 13 and 22 and 4th round pick gave up more but we should be nice let steal the pick if Jets make that trade Mr Tannenbaum fired on the spot but all Viking fans would laugh as steal the 4th pick

if Viking want move up they will have to overpay to do so

as for denver steal the 15th pick for Atlanta Falcon

if Falcon make bad move then the Jets should do the same? no way

go back look last 5 years of trades most of them use the chart and team that move up most of the time :Typotux:

The point is that the draft values are not a scientifically determined #. Did Jimmy Johnson say #4 is worth 1800 and not 1750 and not 1850 because of actual value? He pulled it out of his ass. When you're trading high picks, 1760 is roughly the same as 1800. And actually I believe they were going to throw in a DT with that 40-point value, which I didn't even get into since it's silly to say "I'd do this trade if I get an extra backup DT with little-no upside to stand on the sideline on gameday, but not without it." Or that I'd do this with an extra 5th or 6th rounder also, but not without it.

Next year's starting O-line will probably look like this:

LT: Adrian Jones

LG: Pete Kendall

C: Trey Teague or Katnik

RG: Brandon Moore

RT: Marcus McNeill or Andrew Whitworth

That's a pretty good O-line. Jones is developing into a solid LT, Kendall's best position is LG and he's proven himself there, if we sign Trey Teague he'll be a good Center for us for at least 2-3 years while we develop someone younger. The right side looks good especially if we can draft McNeill or Whitworth at #35.

Ofcourse it hinges on whether we sign Teague.

You don't think that Adrian Jones could play for us? I mean I realize we have some issues on the O-line but I think at worst we move him back to RT.

We could use McNeil and Mangold but I am not investing that much in the first 3 rounds into the O-line. I would rather stick with or 3 picks in the top 35 draft a stud in Mario Williams or D'Brickshaw Ferguson then draft Mangold or McNeil and add a Running Back that can develope this year take about 200 snaps give or take a little bit and see what we have with that. At the end of the year if we like what we have or if we don't we can keep him and get someone else and just clean out the closet with all the other Rb's we have.

I think we can get some good value at RB with the 35th pick if the past couple of drafts are any indication there will be a running back or two that slide down the draft board all the way to a lucky team like ourselves.

You don't think that Adrian Jones could play for us? I mean I realize we have some issues on the O-line but I think at worst we move him back to RT.

We could use McNeil and Mangold but I am not investing that much in the first 3 rounds into the O-line. I would rather stick with or 3 picks in the top 35 draft a stud in Mario Williams or D'Brickshaw Ferguson then draft Mangold or McNeil and add a Running Back that can develope this year take about 200 snaps give or take a little bit and see what we have with that. At the end of the year if we like what we have or if we don't we can keep him and get someone else and just clean out the closet with all the other Rb's we have.

I think we can get some good value at RB with the 35th pick if the past couple of drafts are any indication there will be a running back or two that slide down the draft board all the way to a lucky team like ourselves.

There are talented RB's in every single draft. Why get him killed behind a developing OL? Let Martin/Blaylock/Houston take the lumps instead. Besides, we may yet learn something about Houston that we didn't know. He didn't get much of a chance last year with no OL, no QB, & no TE that can block worth a damn. He's a big RB with enough speed & can break some tackles. If not for a thyroid condition that's been addressed with real doctors, we wouldn't have been able to sniff at him in round 6 last year. Mind you, I'm not saying he's the next coming of whatever.

I just see RB as a position you can throw a mediocre guy back there & he can perform well enough to get a title (NE '01, TB '02, NE '03, Pit '05). Put a better RB behind a crap line & he won't overcome the other shortcomings. He'll still get stuffed on those 3rd-&-1's no matter how high you draft him, particularly when the playoffs come around & you're not playing scrub teams (Curtis Martin).

I still stand by my mock. It's unorthodox, to say the least, but I can't remember an OL draft like this & don't know when we'll see one again. We could create a virtual force-field of an OL in one shot. Look what happens in KC or Denver when the starting RB gets injured: NOTHING. The #2 (or #3) guy steps in & you'd think HE was the starter. The team doesn't become reliant on one player at the most injury-prone postion in the sport.

yeah i agree. here to name some potential RB's that will be at #35:

RB Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin

RB Maurice Drew, UCLA

RB Joesph Addai, LSU

lol may be. well im just saying those names because i doubt maroney or white will drop down to #35. well sperm...i really like ur draft and it'll definently help the team out but the i dont see us going o-line for the 1st 3 rounds.

yeah i agree. here to name some potential RB's that will be at #35:

RB Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin

RB Maurice Drew, UCLA

RB Joesph Addai, LSU

I like Joseph Addai alot and think he can be a good player in the NFL. Calhoun and Drew are part-time players who I wouldn't even think about.

Sperm, Having a solid, skilled full-time running back who you can count on for 1,000 yds and 10 tds a year is not such a bad thing. Without Curtis Martin I seriously doubt the Jets would have made it to the AFC Championship in '98 and we would have never made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years with Edwards as the coach.

We had a good o-line from 1998-2004 but an average or ok back wouldn't have done anywhere near what Martin did for us. For the record, Lamont Jordan is much better than Blaylock and Houston.

Yes, you need a good O-line, but you also need a talented running back. Yes, you need a good O-line but you still need a guy who can make plays and get in the endzone.

In football, the object is to score more points than the other team.

addai is a great block and can catch out of the back field he can be a full time back, it amazes me all these mocks everyone is picking lineman or defensive players. you folks realize we scored less than beavis last year

we scored less than Beavis because there was no line: there weren't running lanes created by our ragamuffin OL; there was no legit blocking TE to assist in this area; there was no time to pass the ball, and no QB to pass it anyway. LaDanian Tomlinson would've barely helped this team last year. And we ain't getting LT in this draft anyway.

Who really cares how many yards an individual RB gets? I've seen enough teams end the season with little to show for a 1000, 1500, even a 2000 yard rusher in the past 4 seasons. In that same span I've seen 2 superbowl winners without a single RB gaining 750 yds. A third one's big rusher was an undrafted guy with speed who can't break tackles (but their OL sure opened the holes enough).

Besides, I'm not saying don't draft a RB. I'm saying I don't think it's necessary to draft one THIS YEAR when the draft is so rich in other areas. I'd rather get the line taken care of first and THEN address it, whether through the draft or FA. Watch what happens to a good RB in Arizona this year with a crappy line.

Archived