2024 WR thread

derp

Obviously other positions will end up in play, but I think we’ll be talking WR through draft day so the position group probably deserves its own thread.

The offense definitely still needs help though, and it’d be fun to see Garrett Wilson end up with a running mate. Unless the Jets lose out Marvin Harrison Jr. is probably off the table, but it’s a strong enough class that there should be someone in play pretty much anywhere else they end up picking - which I’m not so sure we can say about tackle or QB.  

This is probably the most interesting position group to talk about on the board between everyone whose got knowledge and interest regarding receivers, so hopefully this thread is a good one.

• Upvote 1

One guy I've been starting to get infatuated with is Xavier Legette.  6'3, 227.  Big boy and plays a physical game.  Most mocks I've seen have him listed as a 2nd rounder now but he appears to be climbing.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up as a 1st.  

As far as Harrison Jr goes, yeah he's one of 3 guys I'd be cool with selling the farm to get.  The others being the 2 QBs.  Looking like we'll be well out of that range though.

• 2 weeks later...

Troy Franklin kind of reminds me of Robby Anderson. Fast tall and skinny the difference I see is that he doesn't seem to be afraid to take a hit and fight for yards I think he could make a decent wr2 but I also could see him getting over drafted he might end up in the tail end of the first and I wouldn't take him until the third.

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

Agreed but what about OL? Not much in FA. We still need to see if Becton can finish the year. AVT can’t play a full year. We need help. 

Improving the OL is clearly a priority. But I'm not sure we fix that with a top ten pick unless there's a prospect I'm unaware of -- I've been really unimpressed with the LT from Penn State when I watched him against Ohio State and Michigan.

Increasingly I think getting passable OL play is largely about coaching and development. Sure we need talent but changing the overall quality is less about one top ten pick and more about drafting lots of guys in rounds 1-4 and developing them.

• Upvote 1

Every mock has us going OL.  Even the video mocks I see, it's not even a thought to them.  It's automatic, which is frustrating.  

Here's to hoping Mitchell continues to look good and Becton gets re-signed.  I mean, this is why you draft guys like Mitchell in the 4th, right?  Let them cook and implement them into a starting role over time.  This would be right around that timeframe of him solidifying his spot, and so far he's looked solid.  That was a huge building block for him going up against Crosby and holding his own. 

If that happens, we really only need to bump up our level of depth, which obviously isn't going to be what you spend a 1st rounder on.  Get rid of Turner.  Sign a more expensive backup RT.  Replace Schweitzer I guess, I dunno.  I could go either way on him.  But yeah, if we walk out of day 1 with Coleman, Nabers, or Odunze(or even Bowers), it would be a huge win for us.  At that point you just need to bring in one more guy, probably a cheap FA.  Garrett-Coleman/Odunze/Nabers-Lazard-FA-Gipson-Brownlee/UDFA/maybe even Cobb as long as #6 is his ceiling.

Can still take LB, QB Zach replacement, and OG to develop behind Tomlinson with our 3rd and 4ths.  Sign a run stuffing DT, or take one instead of LB - sign a cheap Mosley replacement.  Whatever, doesn't matter - just take WR round 1.  I'd honestly lean QB over OL in the 1st as well.  

Agreed, would love to say we can slot in Becton, Warren, AVT, Mitchell, Tippmann, Newman(I don't think is bad) and draft more day 3 to develop, but so far none of those guys have shown their health can be relied upon.

Plus Mike Evans would be great for a 2 year deal to hit FA when Rodgers retires.

But yes, I would love to say the OL will be okay when healthy next year and grab a stud WR.  Very tantalizing to have with Garrett.

Been a big Xavier Worthy guy since his freshman year.  Pairing him with Garrett Wilson to catch balls from Aaron Rodgers would be fantastic.  

A few other favorites:

Rome Odunze- Wash - Everyone knows about him.  Possibly WR2 in this class.

Roman Wilson- Mich- Tough as nails and off the charts athleticism

Johnny Wilson- FSU- Some say he'll move to TE at 6' 7'' but I honestly think he has the feet to stay at WR

Orande Gadsden Jr.- Syracuse- Another guy with great height and much better hands than Johnny Wilson

Jacob Cowing- Arizona- Been a fan for a few years now.  Will be an outstanding slot guy.

Doran Singer- USC- Disappointing season at USC but just too many mouths to feed.  Would have a ton of production if he had more targets.

Odieu Hiliare- Bowling Green- A human highlight reel.  Makes some of the most ridiculous catches you'll ever see.  Would be surprised if he doesn't run 4.45 or better.  

I think a true high end WR to pair with Garrett Wilson, plus Hall, moves the needle more than anyone else. Not sure the Jets will be in position to draft the WR2 so it may not be meaningful to consider - but with Coleman, Nabers, and Odunze kind of clumped after Harrison I’m trying to figure out who I like of that group.

Coleman seems to have all the tools - he can bully corners but he’s returning punts at 6’4 - but I’d like to see him dominate statistically at the college level in a way he isn’t but others in this class are, and I’m not sure the Jets are the place to bring that out in someone. But he’s got time still to really put it together for a few games.

I really want to love Nabers. He’s explosive, awesome production, early breakout, not many drops this year, think you could move him and Wilson around in the slot and outside…but when I watch him I can’t help but think he doesn’t pluck the ball with his hands. Doesn’t seem like it impacts him much in college, I think he could play a role with the Jets where he gets away with it anyway, maybe he just has short arms, and he’s flashed late hands at times which is nice - but I do think it’s a really important trait for translating to the pros and I’m more lukewarm on him for now but hoping 

Odunze just seems really clean. Great size, plenty fast, also a big guy who returns punts so can win in multiple ways, and is dominating production wise this year. He’s just a tick older than the other two and doesn’t have an early breakout on his resume so I think with him I’ll have a lingering concern  that he’s just beating up on guys because he’s more physically mature…but I think it’s more just understanding why he’ll bust if he busts than a reason to avoid him. I also think he can do the inside/out thing Nabers can and bring the sideline stuff Coleman can. Will be an extra big fan if the character stuff seems really strong, and I’m pretty sure he’s a team captain and Washington is really good this year. Think he’ll likely be my favorite.

19 hours ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

Agreed, would love to say we can slot in Becton, Warren, AVT, Mitchell, Tippmann, Newman(I don't think is bad) and draft more day 3 to develop, but so far none of those guys have shown their health can be relied upon.

Plus Mike Evans would be great for a 2 year deal to hit FA when Rodgers retires.

But yes, I would love to say the OL will be okay when healthy next year and grab a stud WR.  Very tantalizing to have with Garrett.

I think you gotta sign someone decently priced($5Mish? $8M tops -  compared to Billy Turner's $1.65M backup salary) even if you plan on starting Mitchell next year.  Maybe someone like Jonah Williams or James Hurst - both guys whose teams could move on from next year.  Have to have a reliable backup.  I know it's easier said than done but if you're not signing a $20M WR in Evans or Boyd(or trading for one in Adams), and instead drafting a kid on a rookie deal to fill that #2 spot, IMO you'll have a bit of wiggle room to improve the depth.  I expect both Mosley and JFM to go as well, opening up a bit more money to both re-sign your guys(Becton and Huff) as well as improve our depth.  

It's looking like to me though that no matter where you end up in the 1st, there will be a WR that projects at the very least to be a high-end #2.  The guys we're talking about potentially missing out on(Harrison Jr, Coleman, Nabers) are all #1 guys IMO.  Guys like Odunze, Egbuka, Legette, AD Mitchell - they all have high-end 2 potential.  I think no matter where we pick in the 1st we'll have our pick of at least one of them, barring a deep playoff run.  If that happens though I'm sure we'd all take that tradeoff.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB

List of offensive coaches confirmed to be in attendance at South Carolina pro-day to workout
@seniorbowl MVP Spencer Rattler and likely Top-50 WR Xavier Legette:

OC: Bengals, Panthers, Raiders

WR: Panthers, Cowboys Giants, Patriots, Jets