IMHO, the Jets Top 10 Needs in Free Agency and the Draft

10 - DEFENSIVE END -  Jermaine Johnson and John Franklin-Myers are back to form a good starting duo.  Michael Clemons is a good back-up.  McDonald showed promise as a rookie. Obviously, it's a high priority to re-sign Bryce Huff - wouldn't surprise me to see him get the Franchise Tag if a deal can't be reached.   Still one more DE would probably be nice to have in the rotation, especially if JFM and Clemons see more time inside

9 - RUNNING BACK- Hall is awesome - Top 2-3 in the league and one of the 3-4 best running backs we've ever had. So that's great. Jury is still out on Abanikanda, but there's potential, I guess.  Need another good solid RB.  Maybe even a bigger back that we don't have right now.  They're easy to find, so it's a lower priority.  A veteran FA signee seems like the way to go.

8 - PUNTER - Looks like Morestead is retiring, so we need a Punter.  Sure, punters are a time a dozen, but he was awesome, though

7 - GUARD - If Vera-Tucker plays Guard, he and Tomlinson are a good combo.  If AVT plays tackle, Schweitzer will be back, but a young guard with potential is needed. I like Max Mitchell as a guard, but he's more of a depth/swing player, I think

6 - PLACE KICKER - Ok, let's just re-sign Zuerlein, ok?  We signed Austin Seibert to a future contract as a back-up plan, but can we just re-sign Zuerlein, ok?

5 - SAFETY -  Tony Adams played great but Whitehead, Ashtyn Davis, and Chuck Clark are all free agents.  Jarrick Bernard-Converse is an unknown 

- DEFENSIVE TACKLE - Losing Al Woods hurt our run defense and then Quinton Jefferson went down.  Were reduced to playing Solomon Thomas, who did pretty well, Jalyn Holmes and Bruce Hector.  A big corn fed veteran defensive tackle would be great in Free Agency.  Do Woods or Jefferson have enough for 1 more year?  If so, I'd take either or both.  I'd take Solomon back, too at the right price.  Will Michael Clemons come back big enough to play DT full time?

3 - QUARTERBACK - As the great Yelawolf said in "Till It's Gone" - "What a Mess Now".  We need a reliable vet back up in 2024 (Siemian?) and a younger player for the future

2 - WIDE RECEIVER - It was the great Garrett Wilson and the 7 dwarfs at WR for us in 2023.  Gipson can be a solid slot WR.  Lazard was a mystery, can he return to form if Rodgers is QB?  Brownlee showed potential.  Irvin Charles is a special teams star who contributes at WR.  I'd be cool with a WR at #10 or a veteran FA signee.  A 3rd round WR might even work.

1 - OFFENSIVE TACKLE - Warren showed promise.  If Vera-Tucker is healthy and Becton comes back, okay, maybe we can cobble together something in the short-term.....

Drafting for Need with our 2024 Picks might look like this right now..

• Round 1 - Offensive Tackle or WR (maybe QB if things break right)
  • Round 3 -  OT or WR (whatever we didn't get in Round 1)
  • Round 4 - Defensive Tackle
  • Round 4 - Safety
  • Round 6  - Running Back
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Where did you get that Thomas Morestead is retiring? This is the first I'm hearing of this. Also, in what world is Tomlinson a good player? He's been a human turnstile at the LG position.

The Jets biggest needs, in order, are LT, WR, QB2, LG, RT, Run Stuffing DT...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Where did you get that Thomas Morestead is retiring? This is the first I'm hearing of this. Also, in what world is Tomlinson a good player? He's been a human turnstile at the LG position.

Same where is the moorestead retiring rumor? 

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

This. Depends on how FA goes. But This. #1 priority is LT. IMO followed by RT. Followed by OG. Then WR. Then QB2. But all 5 are top tier priorities. These will probably ALL need to addressed in some capacity in FA AND our first two selections in the draft. I actually have a feeling we will make a tag and trade deal with Huff and recoup a 2nd rounder this year, so Huff will be gone but we will have a 2nd round pick to take a WR/OT much earlier than our Rd. 3 pick.  

Defense is not a priority - we just need to bring back a few of our own critical FAs (none of whom should cost a ton) and scour FA for cheap vet depth. 

I bring back Clark and Ash Davis to be my starting safeties. I know its risky but they should be relatively cheap and the Jets strength is CB anyway. 

I bring back Solomon Thomas, Winfrey and Jefferson on the D-line. That's about it. Even guys like Hardee I let walk because Irv Charles has proven to be a fantastic gunner. Lawson obviously walks. Bryce Hall is not worth keeping. There's probably an equal/cheaper version of Al Woods currently on the roster or that we can find in FA. Etc., etc.

This offseason is 90% about the about offense and re-signing Greg the Leg and Morstead (who's not retiring by the way).  

• Upvote 1

We couldn't get a 2nd rounder for Huff this year for a reasonable contract,.  You people really think we are going to get that for the right to pay him the tag or more?  This falls in the I won't believe it until it actually happens and probably not for three weeks after that. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Moorestead was on Twitter ceremoniously handing Garrett Wilson his number 5 jersey.  

Guess I just thought he was retiring?

I think that was more about Garrett Wilson (who has always wanted his college number) than Moorestead. 

However, now you have me worried :(

• Upvote 1

I think just about everyone knows what positions need to be improved.  What few people know is if guys like Newman, Warren, glaser, Mitchell, can fill one or more of the oline positions or if the jets are even considering bringing becton back.  And doesn’t Tomlinson have one more season?  After the oline comes the wr situation where they need a complement to gWilson.  I don’t think backup qb is such a problem because guys like siemien are pretty plentiful and there’s still Zach, assuming he’s not traded.  The question is also in getting a qb who is young enough to take over from Rodgers in a season or two.

A lot has been made about the oline coach carter.  I watched an interview with Tyler Le wan.  He was discussing carter and appeared to be more upset about the way carter treats the players.  Boo hoo.  A hard azz coach.  Maybe this is too simplistic.  The players will tune these types out.  But still it all sounds like woe is us, we have to learn out positions.

• Upvote 1