"It's Like Watching Picasso Paint"

13 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

This article explains just about everything we saw this year:  1) The signings of Lazard, Cobb and Boyle (clearly based on familiarity with this "system"), 2) The non-signing of some of the known quality back up QBs that were available (Minshew/Brissett/Wentz/etc who had no prior experience with it), 3) The long delay between signing Siemian and him actually taking the field (probably took weeks for him to get the basics), 4) Zach sucking even worse than we could have imagined (take a QB with mental processing issues and put him in an offense where the QB has to make multiple pre-snap decisions among multiple position groups to execute the play), 5) The retention of the staff (it would make zero sense to fire Hackett and have a new OC install a new offense at this stage).  I'm sure there are others.

I speculate each position group (OL, WR, TE, RB) has 2-3 different options in any given play.  And I see Rodgers standing there, looking at the D and basically deciding on each option for each group pre-snap.  All Hackett does is send in the base play.  Unlike a Shanahan or McDaniel type offense, which uses all sorts of different looks and motions to offer QB's easier reads and completions, this offense sounds so specific to Rodgers, the season was basically over after 4 plays....

Maybe.  I’m of the opinion teams have near identical plays but the terminology may be different.  From this article it sounds like Rodgers does more than just call the play.  He also sets blocking assignments and player positions.  And anyone still wonder why Zach didn’t do better?   He was probably more than adequate about running a particular play but wasn’t experienced enough to recognize the pre snap defense and set the blocking.

• Upvote 2