3rd Round Candidates

I thought this would be a good one to discuss.  I know a lot of us are hoping we can walk away with a guy who can get significant playing time in the 3rd round.  Obviously who we take will probably depend on who we walk away with in the 1st, but there are some interesting names that should be there, regardless of the direction we go in round 1.  Here are some who seem like safe/relatively safe bets to be there as of now:

Christian Haynes, OG

Cooper Beebe, OG

Jalen McMillan, WR

Jamari Thrash, WR

Malachi Corley, WR

McKinnley Jackson, DT

Braden Fiske, DT

Michael Pratt, QB

Blake Corum, RB

Trey Benson, RB

Outside chance:  JJ McCarthy, QB; Jonathan Brooks, RB; Jackson Powers-Johnson, C; Zach Frazier, C/G; Xavier Worthy, WR; Ja'Lynn Polk, WR; Kris Jenkins, DT; T'Vondre Sweat, DT

I think if we go OT in the 1st, I'd probably lean away from taking an OG in the 3rd.  Either WR or DT most likely, whoever ends up being the best prospect available.  I think any of the WR mentioned above have #2 upside.  Only question is whether they could make an impact right out of the gate.  Obviously finding a Nacua or even a Jayden Reed later in the draft isn't exactly common.  I don't think I'd go QB or RB in the 3rd barring something unforseen.  I think we could sign a solid #2 RB for cheap and find a decent #4 via the UDFA market.  Obviously we still have two 4th rounders, but to me that's probably the range where we'd take a development QB or an OL we can groom to take over in a year.  I think this 3rd should be used on a guy we expect to see play right out of the gate, especially since we don't have a 2nd this year.  

On 1/21/2024 at 12:01 PM, bonkertons said:

I thought this would be a good one to discuss.  I know a lot of us are hoping we can walk away with a guy who can get significant playing time in the 3rd round.  Obviously who we take will probably depend on who we walk away with in the 1st, but there are some interesting names that should be there, regardless of the direction we go in round 1.  Here are some who seem like safe/relatively safe bets to be there as of now:

Christian Haynes, OG

Cooper Beebe, OG

Jalen McMillan, WR

Jamari Thrash, WR

Malachi Corley, WR

McKinnley Jackson, DT

Braden Fiske, DT

Michael Pratt, QB

Blake Corum, RB

Trey Benson, RB

Outside chance:  JJ McCarthy, QB; Jonathan Brooks, RB; Jackson Powers-Johnson, C; Zach Frazier, C/G; Xavier Worthy, WR; Ja'Lynn Polk, WR; Kris Jenkins, DT; T'Vondre Sweat, DT

I think if we go OT in the 1st, I'd probably lean away from taking an OG in the 3rd.  Either WR or DT most likely, whoever ends up being the best prospect available.  I think any of the WR mentioned above have #2 upside.  Only question is whether they could make an impact right out of the gate.  Obviously finding a Nacua or even a Jayden Reed later in the draft isn't exactly common.  I don't think I'd go QB or RB in the 3rd barring something unforseen.  I think we could sign a solid #2 RB for cheap and find a decent #4 via the UDFA market.  Obviously we still have two 4th rounders, but to me that's probably the range where we'd take a development QB or an OL we can groom to take over in a year.  I think this 3rd should be used on a guy we expect to see play right out of the gate, especially since we don't have a 2nd this year.  

• I can't see McCarthy falling to the 3rd but crazier things have happened.
  • It's amazing how DL is always a strong unit for us....yet we are always in need of one every year lol
  • If we don't recoup a 2nd I would assume that OL is very much in play in the 3rd
  • I really hope we trade down + trade a player and get more 2nds and 3rds (Huff or trade DJ Reed) and take a QB like Pratt in the 3rd

39 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:
  • It's amazing how DL is always a strong unit for us....yet we are always in need of one every year lol
  • If we don't recoup a 2nd I would assume that OL is very much in play in the 3rd
  • I really hope we trade down + trade a player and get more 2nds and 3rds (Huff or trade DJ Reed) and take a QB like Pratt in the 3rd

i'm assuming we get another day 2 pick somehow, and also use the first rounder on a tackle.  so given this, if they have 2 day 2 picks, you assume that at least 1 is used on offense, which depending on FA is either a wr or OL.  that will probably be determined by what happens in FA, if they get, say, evans, then they're more likely to go OL.  the other day 2 pick in my scenario is that they probably go defense.  that means no pratt.

42 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Trade DJ Reed?  Why the hell would they do that?  So they have another hole to fill?  If it were so easy to play corner in this defense then maybe Bryce Hall wouldn't suck so bad at it.  They aren't trading Huff.  I don't care what some podcast nitwit postulated.  Who thinks he is worth $29M a year and a 2nd?  Is he suddenly worth $16M more than he was last year?  Cause he had all those stupid metrics in 2022 and nobody even made an offer for him at $4.3M.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Trade DJ Reed?  Why the hell would they do that?  So they have another hole to fill?  If it were so easy to play corner in this defense then maybe Bryce Hall wouldn't suck so bad at it.  They aren't trading Huff.  I don't care what some podcast nitwit postulated.  Who thinks he is worth $29M a year and a 2nd?  Is he suddenly worth $16M more than he was last year?  Cause he had all those stupid metrics in 2022 and nobody even made an offer for him at $4.3M.

douglas has shown to be a pretty good trader.  and with his job now on the line to fix the offense in a major way, i wouldn't be surprised if he found a partner for huff.  even if rodgers plays most of the games nextyear the offense needs more, OL help and another qb at least.  i expect douglas to be very active adding pieces to this offense. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i'm assuming we get another day 2 pick somehow, and also use the first rounder on a tackle.  so given this, if they have 2 day 2 picks, you assume that at least 1 is used on offense, which depending on FA is either a wr or OL.  that will probably be determined by what happens in FA, if they get, say, evans, then they're more likely to go OL.  the other day 2 pick in my scenario is that they probably go defense.  that means no pratt.

I hope we trade down and get that 2nd back

+ tag and trade Huff for another 2nd or 3rd.

Late 1st OT + 2nd OT + additional 2nd or 3rd WR + original 3rd Pratt

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I hope we trade down and get that 2nd back

+ tag and trade Huff for another 2nd or 3rd.

Late 1st OT + 2nd OT + additional 2nd or 3rd WR + original 3rd Pratt

if they trade back in round 1, and get a 2nd rounder, then use the 1st rounder on a tackle.  then in round 2 i'd like them to take zinter, who will probably fall to round 2, perfect addition to this line.  

Trade down is really only appealing to me if all of those big-9 offensive players go before us.  If either of the LTs are there, or Bowers or Odunze, I keep the pick.  

My guess is we bring back Becton and then what we do in the draft determines where he plays.  If a LT drops, we take him and bounce Becton to RT.  If we decide we want Fuaga, Becton is back at LT.  If we take a weapon, Becton stays at LT, AVT bounces to RT, and we look to take his replacement in the 3rd(or a trade-up into the 2nd).  OR we just give up all hope of an LT dropping to us and sign a guy like Bakhtiari.  Maybe we sign Becton as well and just address the OTs before the draft.  Either take the weapon that falls to you in that scenario or trade down for an extra 2nd if none do.  You can still draft a kid like Brian Thomas Jr, Troy Franklin, Ladd McConkey, etc if it plays out that way, then take either the best available IOL or DT in the 2nd.  My preference though is keeping the pick and adding an elite talent.

But yeah, in an ideal world we get some extra picks.  Maybe a sign and trade with Huff(but I doubt it).  Maybe a day 3 pick for Zach, although I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being 2025.  Trading DJ Reed though would be a mistake.  It just creates another big hole.  

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

if they trade back in round 1, and get a 2nd rounder, then use the 1st rounder on a tackle.  then in round 2 i'd like them to take zinter, who will probably fall to round 2, perfect addition to this line.  

Tackle depth seems pretty good this year. I think DJ had like 6-7 in his first mock. If ever a year to trade down it’s this one.

18 minutes ago, section314 said:

Tackle depth seems pretty good this year. I think DJ had like 6-7 in his first mock. If ever a year to trade down it’s this one.

Eh.  These guys aren't all fits for everybody.  They need a day 1 starter for a team that has an old QB coming off an achilles injury and needs to make the playoffs or everybody is losing their job.  Just because a draft is deep does not mean trading down is the right move.  Sure, if you sit late you might end up with Marino or Lamar Jackson, but you also might end up with Todd Blackledge or Josh Rosen.  Depending on what is done in free agency it might not be worth that risk.  If the guy they like best is gone and they still plan to take one it might make sense, but I don't this is a mandatory trade down.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

douglas has shown to be a pretty good trader.  and with his job now on the line to fix the offense in a major way, i wouldn't be surprised if he found a partner for huff.  even if rodgers plays most of the games nextyear the offense needs more, OL help and another qb at least.  i expect douglas to be very active adding pieces to this offense. 

Is there a prop bet on this?  The going rate is apparently a 2nd?  I am an extremely safe investor and I will take the no on that bet.  A pretty good trader gets good value.  Getting a 2nd for a part-time DE on a $23M contract seems more akin to being a magician to me.  The Jets may not even have the flexibility under the cap to tag him.  I'm not sure how they are supposed to sign Mike Evans and Jonah Williams and still have the money to tag this character.

38 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Just read that Sturdivant is running it back for another year at UCLA... too bad, i would put his name in there. 

best thing for him honestly.  He was a disappointment this year after transferring from Cal.  Had I think 2 big games all year, but hasn't put all the talent he has together yet.  Hopefully another year helps him out because physically he has all the tools, just needs to put it all together for a full season. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

best thing for him honestly.  He was a disappointment this year after transferring from Cal.  Had I think 2 big games all year, but hasn't put all the talent he has together yet.  Hopefully another year helps him out because physically he has all the tools, just needs to put it all together for a full season. 

can't pretend to have followed his past year closely, but the talent is there. He can be a big time playmaker if he wants to be. 

17 hours ago, Paradis said:

can't pretend to have followed his past year closely, but the talent is there. He can be a big time playmaker if he wants to be. 

he wasnt good this year,  a couple of splash plays and 2 big games but nothing to write home about.  If he dazzled in combine maybe he was a 3rd rounder but probably would have been a 4th or 5th rounder that someone was trying to stash and develop.  He goes back and puts up a year he is capable of he makes a lot lot more money. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2024 at 8:00 AM, Adoni Beast said:

With no 2nd, the 3rd almost has to be O Line or WR

19 minutes ago, chirorob said:

With no 2nd, the 3rd almost has to be O Line or WR

Really depends on what we do in free agency.  Right now my guess would be yeah, our first two picks are a combo of OL and WR/Bowers.  If we sign a top WR though to be our #2, we could probably wait til the 4th to add a #4 or 5 WR.  You could go OT in the 1st and then DT in the 3rd.  I think it's pretty imperative we add a DT who could get significant playing time in the draft.  I doubt we'll spend on another big DL contract in UFA.  I think we'll have to rely on the draft.