OT: let’s go rangers!!!!

11 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

Montreal couldn't hold the Oilers or Isles Jock back in those days they would have run through them stop it! That's fine the Rangers are Relevant all that talent and notoriety and still a horrible history of a franchise especially when the league was 6 teams, they still couldn't win LOL

You realize I hope that you guys were crooning about "Forty something years" back in the day as a way to stick it to Rangers fans.  OK fair enough but people who live in glass houses should wary about throwing stones...  How many years has it been since your last cup?

Which team has more fans show up when the two teams play in the Islanders home arena?  Now THAT is cringe worthy.  Talk about making your dick shrivel up in embarrassment or at least it should

15 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Not sure that playing against the Metro #3 seed in round-`1 is not the easier playoffs opener for us.  Either way we are probably looking at Carolina in the Divisional Finals with a good chance of the Panthers in the Eastern conference finals if we win the divisional final.

This has been a strange year for Rangers fans.  The team keeps on  finding ways to win often while not looking very good while doing it (see last night).   One thing we saw last night is that we desperately need our blue line starters back from injury because the replacements are pretty bad.

Also Kreider needs to stop mailing it in.  His lack of effort in these games is an embarrassment to be honest. 

The key is Shesterkin.  When he plays lights out, there's no one better in the league.  He's had a great stretch, but he's prone to these lapses every once in a while.  I think he'll be laser focused come playoff time and will be the difference maker.

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The key is Shesterkin.  When he plays lights out, there's no one better in the league.  He's had a great stretch, but he's prone to these lapses every once in a while.  I think he'll be laser focused come playoff time and will be the difference maker.

I agree we go only as far as Igor takes us but we also need disciplined blue line play in front of him and the BS from last night is not helpful.  We are not Edmonton or Colorado., nor should we try to be  If we want to go deep in the playoffs we need to get back to the boring defense-first style to which we are better suited.

Just now, EM31 said:

If we want to go deep in the playoffs we need to get back to the boring defense-first style to which we are better suited.

The team has rallied around this philosophy this year more so than previous years but they have had more than a few lapses so far this season too. They need to button it up in the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, EM31 said:

You realize I hope that you guys were crooning about "Forty something years" back in the day as a way to stick it to Rangers fans.  OK fair enough but people who live in glass houses should wary about throwing stones...  How many years has it been since your last cup?

Which team has more fans show up when the two teams play in the Islanders home arena?  Now THAT is cringe worthy.  Talk about making your dick shrivel up in embarrassment or at least it should

Ok The reason why the Rangers have more fans is because they had a 46-year head start!  I'm not getting into this Debate of who has a better Franchise as it's a matter of Opinion and nobody is going to win lol.

20 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

Ok The reason why the Rangers have more fans is because they had a 46-year head start!  I'm not getting into this Debate of who has a better Franchise as it's a matter of Opinion and nobody is going to win lol.

20240327_112033.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ToonforPrez said:

Any head start the Rangers may have had from those 46 years has long since dissipated.  BOTH teams are in a bit of a slump right now as far as Stanley cups are concerned although the Rangers are at least in the conversation this year.  My only point about the old "1940" chants was that as much as it may have been valid at the time the current Islanders franchise are open to very similar taunting given the length of time that they have been away from the punch bowl.

I thought this Islanders team was well constructed for a legitimate playoff run (or three) a couple of years ago but I think your GM brought some of the wrong players in and gave out big contracts to the wrong guys which leaves them as neither fish nor fowl.  Not really good enough for a deep run and not quite bad enough for a full on break down and rebuild.

This is also why I like the minimalist approach that the Rangers took at the trade deadline this year.  They gave up next to nothing for a couple of nice complimentary pieces (Wenenberg and Roslivic) but they did not pull the trigger on any major trade deadline deals.  Right now it looks like the Islanders GM's best decades are behind him and his recent record is more one of missteps rather than strong moves as it once was with the Devils back in the day. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

@Lith 😁

Season 3 Dog GIF by The Simpsons

That is fine.  I watched Denis Potvin raise 4 cups.  I wish we had more guys today who sucked like he did.

And who do you think moved this topic off of the main board. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

That is fine.  I watched Denis Potvin raise 4 cups.  I wish we had more guys today who sucked like he did.

And who do you think moved this topic off of the main board. 

Potvin sucks has nothing to do with his career resume as you well know.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TBJ said:

He was good at beating his wife too.

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that we play them in the first round.  Personally I prefer some of the other possible opponents but the Islanders have a shot at a wild card.  Likely the 2nd one so we would need to have the best record in the east in order to get WC#2

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, EM31 said:

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that we play them in the first round.  Personally I prefer some of the other possible opponents but the Islanders have a shot at a wild card.  Likely the 2nd one so we would need to have the best record in the east in order to get WC#2

I respect their hockey club, they always play us hard.

There is no easy road to the Stanley Cup, it's going to be tough no matter what.

I don't care for Potvin, but he was a great player and the Islanders were a great dynasty. But that was a long time ago.

They were certainly not the best though, maybe if they would have beaten us in '79 and won 5 in a row, but we upset them big time that year.

Montreal had better dynasties and they did it multiple times. They also had the pick of the litter coming out of that providence before there was a draft, and we still managed to get Gilbert and Ratelle. They really had an unfair advantage back then, and that too was a long time ago.

14 minutes ago, TBJ said:

I respect their hockey club, they always play us hard.

There is no easy road to the Stanley Cup, it's going to be tough no matter what.

I don't care for Potvin, but he was a great player and the Islanders were a great dynasty. But that was a long time ago.

They were certainly not the best though, maybe if they would have beaten us in '79 and won 5 in a row, but we upset them big time that year.

Montreal had better dynasties and they did it multiple times. They also had the pick of the litter coming out of that providence before there was a draft, and we still managed to get Gilbert and Ratelle. They really had an unfair advantage back then, and that too was a long time ago.

I emigrated to the US in 1982 (from London where I grew up) and so much of that is before my time watching the  sport.

The single greatest roster top to bottom, at least for the teams where I got to see some of them was the 1984 Edmonton oilers.

Wayne Gretzky

Mark Messier

Grant Fuhr

Paul Coffey

Jari Kurri

Esa Tikkenan

I mean seriously WTF?

Not to mention Kevin Lowe, Glenn Anderson.  Unbelievable talent on that team

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I emigrated to the US in 1982 (from London where I grew up) and so much of that is before my time watching the  sport.

The single greatest roster top to bottom, at least for the teams where I got to see some of them was the 1984 Edmonton oilers.

Wayne Gretzky

Mark Messier

Grant Fuhr

Paul Coffey

Jari Kurri

Esa Tikkenan

I mean seriously WTF?

Not to mention Kevin Lowe, Glenn Anderson.  Unbelievable talent on that team

We stopped them in '79 and Messier was the Conn Smythe winner stopping them in '84.

Messier then leads us in '94 and the Islanders have not won since '83. 😁

• Post of the Week 1

I think they are just saddened by the fact that they cannot chant "1940" any more.

Well that plus the fact that the biggest local area rivalry has been Devils Rangers for about 30 years.  It probably pisses them off that neither of the other two local teams sees the Islanders as a major rival.  Maybe we get to a time when the rivalry means something again but right now it does not and it hasn't for a long time.

• Upvote 1