2024 Yankees season thread

22 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

If the Yankees can't win the AL East against a very flawed and wounded Oriole team, it will be an upset. Orioles are limping badly. Kimbrel? Dominguez? THAT is what bullpen they have?

Mets fans that care ❤️

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Barton said:

Verdugo has fallen off a cliff. Ever since he crashed into the Fenway wall. 

I wonder if he is having some long term concussion type effects.

Remember, the Yankees didn't realize Rizzo had one, and Frasier a few years ago also had massive issues after one, and they kept running him out there as well.

20 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Remember, the Yankees didn't realize Rizzo had one, and Frasier a few years ago also had massive issues after one, and they kept running him out there no

not only that but do the Yankees think Dominguez would perform worse than Verdugo? I don’t think so. So why isn’t Dominguez taking his spot then? This team never has the guts to bench veterans who have had solid careers. Instead we get Lamehieu, Torres and Verdugo going a combined 1 for 12 every night. Before that they had Donaldson hitting 5th every night. The focus is not on fielding the best team and winning games anymore it seems. Hard to stomach. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Remember, the Yankees didn't realize Rizzo had one, and Frasier a few years ago also had massive issues after one, and they kept running him out there as well.

Does Rice have a concussion or is he just terrible? .180 is not acceptable. At all.

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

not only that but do the Yankees think Dominguez would perform worse than Verdugo? I don’t think so. So why isn’t Dominguez taking his spot then? This team never has the guts to bench veterans who have had solid careers. Instead we get Lamehieu, Torres and Verdugo going a combined 1 for 12 every night. Before that they had Donaldson hitting 5th every night. The focus is not on fielding the best team and winning games anymore it seems. Hard to stomach. 

What about Rice? They brought him up and he's batting .180 with a .653 OPS. His WAR is negative. 

33 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

What about Rice? They brought him up and he's batting .180 with a .653 OPS. His WAR is negative. 

He's a struggling rookie.  It happens

Judge didn't light the world on fire first time he came up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

He started out hot and then got cold. Common occurrence from a rookie. The kid has to play in order to get better. Yankees are foolish for playing DJ over Rice. Typical move by this franchise. They don’t let young guys play and develop. Wasn’t too long ago Austin Wells was hitting .220 but once he got a chance game after game, he took off. Which only happened because Trevino got hurt.

Yanks were gonna start DJ again yesterday until a ball hit him in the face before the game.

Rice comes in, goes 1 for 3. Day before, drew a walk and barrelled up a line drive (out).

Play the kid. DJ is toast. I dont get this team. Stop playing guys who are toast. Win games. 

1 minute ago, Barton said:

Again they are starting Trevino. Wells had been on fire with his bat and as soon as Trevino comes off the DL, they are essentially splitting time 50/50.

Clueless management. 

Does it have something to do with who's pitching?

6 hours ago, Barton said:

Again they are starting Trevino. Wells had been on fire with his bat and as soon as Trevino comes off the DL, they are essentially splitting time 50/50.

Clueless management. 

They love Trevino.  He can’t hit, can’t throw anyone out.  But at least we don’t have to watch Higgy anymore thanks to him for that I will always be grateful 

On 9/1/2024 at 11:00 AM, Barton said:

They just called up an outfielder and its not Dominguez.

Its over folks. This team is going nowhere. Thanks to management.

Keep playing Verdugo/DJ/other black holes in the lineup every day. 

Dont think hitting is going to be an issue, Gleyber is hot, likes lead off, Rizzo is back , Chisholm is hitter-ish , Stanton hitting and even DJ has regained a pulse at bat.

its relief pitching that will decide the season and if Cole is healthy and himself.

On 8/29/2024 at 7:18 AM, Barton said:

This team is .500 since mid June. They were essentially a .500 team last year. They were a .500 team in the 2nd half of 2022. Mediocre as F. Plain and simple. 

Only problem is everyone (Except Maybe Houston) is playing 500 as well.

I have a theory that these teams just are worrying about getting to the playoffs and that winning the division is bonus. It is September, time to make that final push but it doesn't seem like alot of these teams are bringing up guys that can really help them. I don't know why Dominguez is not up right now./ (Not that I think he will help). They are staying to their plan for rest days a bullpen not pitching more that two days in a row.

Again just a theory but I have pretty much run out of ideas of why the Yanks are doing things this way. Gotta be the analytics. Even when they produce the run wrong results they will keep hammering it till they get one right and go " See they do work"

On 9/2/2024 at 10:38 PM, Leftylarry said:

Dont think hitting is going to be an issue, Gleyber is hot, likes lead off, Rizzo is back , Chisholm is hitter-ish , Stanton hitting and even DJ has regained a pulse at bat.

its relief pitching that will decide the season and if Cole is healthy and himself.

DJ has regained a pulse…. What games are you watching?  He’s cooked.