2024 Yankees season thread

On 6/21/2024 at 8:14 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

Taking him out of the rotation would be extreme.  He’s our second best SP after Cole. I agree with having him skip starts

How is Gil doing now, Phil? Second best pitcher? 😅

Keep sending him out to get knocked around and if all goes well he blows his arm out. 

10 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Can we get Volpe out of the leadoff spot? He's not a leadoff hitter and at this point I'm not sure he's even an average MLB hitter. Over hyped. Great fielder, bat is abysmal.

Young player bro. There’s gonna be ups and downs. I don’t believe he’s missed a game recently. Might be alittle fatigued. 

• Upvote 1

Boone saying they don’t think Gil has fatigue. He’s either lying or stupid. He has obvious arm fatigue. His fastball hasn’t had the same explosion the past 4-5 starts. I’m sorry but I just don’t trust that Boone/front office are gonna make the right decisions and get this team a championship. 

12 hours ago, bicketybam said:

How is Gil doing now, Phil? Second best pitcher? 😅

Keep sending him out to get knocked around and if all goes well he blows his arm out. 

Weren’t you the guy gloating at the beginning of the season about anyone criticizing construction of this team?

11 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Can we get Volpe out of the leadoff spot? He's not a leadoff hitter and at this point I'm not sure he's even an average MLB hitter. Over hyped. Great fielder, bat is abysmal.

Yeah let’s replace him with someone like Jahmai Jones or Trent Grisham who doesn’t get on base and can’t steal bases that’s perfect.  Or maybe DJ maybe with his .180 BA gets his old job back of leading off?

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Boone saying they don’t think Gil has fatigue. He’s either lying or stupid. He has obvious arm fatigue. His fastball hasn’t had the same explosion the past 4-5 starts. I’m sorry but I just don’t trust that Boone/front office are gonna make the right decisions and get this team a championship. 

Boone just says what Cash tells him to say.

Of course Gil is fatigued, when was the last time he even pitched 100 innings?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Young player bro. There’s gonna be ups and downs. I don’t believe he’s missed a game recently. Might be alittle fatigued. 

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Yeah let’s replace him with someone like Jahmai Jones or Trent Grisham who doesn’t get on base and can’t steal bases that’s perfect.  Or maybe DJ maybe with his .180 BA gets his old job back of leading off?

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2024/07/yankees-anthony-volpe-miscast-as-leadoff-guy-analyst-says-is-he-even-a-good-hitter.html

Decent article with lots of analytics. Volpe is a tremendous fielder but I'm not sure he will ever be a good hitter.

12 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2024/07/yankees-anthony-volpe-miscast-as-leadoff-guy-analyst-says-is-he-even-a-good-hitter.html

Decent article with lots of analytics. Volpe is a tremendous fielder but I'm not sure he will ever be a good hitter.

If he can be a 260 hitter, and learn the strike zone a bit better, with his speed and glove, he is a plus player, but he isn't a top of the lineup guy.

Plus, you don't want him stealing in front of Soto and Judge.   Move him to 7th.  Let him create at the bottom of the lineup. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

If he can be a 260 hitter, and learn the strike zone a bit better, with his speed and glove, he is a plus player, but he isn't a top of the lineup guy.

Plus, you don't want him stealing in front of Soto and Judge.   Move him to 7th.  Let him create at the bottom of the lineup. 

That's exactly what I was thinking.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

Boone just says what Cash tells him to say.

Of course Gil is fatigued, when was the last time he even pitched 100 innings?

True but then why aren’t they resting him? 

This team needs SIGNIFICANT adjustments, like I said a month ago and some people here didnt want to hear it.

They need 2 add impact bats to this lineup and probably an arm too.

Even though Bellinger is not having a great year, he's having a solid year for the Cubs. He can play CF and 1B. You can bat him anywhere in the lineup. If they can get him and then a legit infielder on this team, maybe even 2 infielders, then the team will rebound.

Otherwise this team is going nowhere. Its too bad we have a GM who doesnt have the guts to make an overhaul to the roster because he knows that puts his name on it and if it backfires, he's gone. Instead they force the same duds in the lineup every game like Gleyber, DJ, Oswaldo etc. 

Management is why this team hasnt won in the last 15 years. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Barton said:

This team needs SIGNIFICANT adjustments, like I said a month ago and some people here didnt want to hear it.

They need 2 add impact bats to this lineup and probably an arm too.

Even though Bellinger is not having a great year, he's having a solid year for the Cubs. He can play CF and 1B. You can bat him anywhere in the lineup. If they can get him and then a legit infielder on this team, maybe even 2 infielders, then the team will rebound.

Otherwise this team is going nowhere. Its too bad we have a GM who doesnt have the guts to make an overhaul to the roster because he knows that puts his name on it and if it backfires, he's gone. Instead they force the same duds in the lineup every game like Gleyber, DJ, Oswaldo etc. 

Management is why this team hasnt won in the last 15 years. 

Cashman isn’t skilled enough to make those types of in season adjustment moves.  When we won in 1996 it was a different regime they got Strawberry and Cecil Fielder during the season along with Graeme Jones and David Weathers

Yankees have lacked hustle and basic fundamentals since day 1 of Boone becoming the manager. It was evident in his 1st spring training that the team was sloppy. Nothing has changed since that point. Boone is not a leader. He wasn’t as a player, either. Teams take on the personalities of their manager, quite often.  Players are now loafing around with their heads in the clouds. It’s a reflection of their manager/front office. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/6/2024 at 8:31 AM, Barton said:

Yankees have lacked hustle and basic fundamentals since day 1 of Boone becoming the manager. It was evident in his 1st spring training that the team was sloppy. Nothing has changed since that point. Boone is not a leader. He wasn’t as a player, either. Teams take on the personalities of their manager, quite often.  Players are now loafing around with their heads in the clouds. It’s a reflection of their manager/front office. 

I like Volpe but him walking out that ground ball when he was going from 3rd to home last Friday cost us that game.  The kid is a second year player acting like he’s a 38 year old with $400 million in the bank

I’m looking forward to football 

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Why the Yankees aren’t calling up Spencer Jones and Ben Shields is mind boggling 

Nestor is not a starting pitcher let alone a top of the rotation guy

Cortez has the best WHIP of all starters and that includes your boy, Gil. Why couldn't this version of Phil be a Mets fan? You're exhausting.

21 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Wouldn’t at all shock me if this dreadful team misses the playoffs altogether while the Mets in a supposed “reset” year play October baseball. Might be time to blow it up.

Mets aren't going anywhere. 

11 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Cortez has the best WHIP of all starters and that includes your boy, Gil. Why couldn't this version of Phil be a Mets fan? You're exhausting.

Nestor is 4-8.  Stick to the football forum and being the “posters are being mean to Zach and Woody” police

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Nestor is 4-8.  Stick to the football forum and being the “posters are being mean to Zach and Woody” police

W/L is how you judge a pitcher? 😅😅😅😅😅😅