2024 Yankees season thread

Has this team finally risen from the dead? Bats are hot, Jazz gives them a nice spark plug. Stanton and Dominguez coming back soon! Add a nice pen arm and maybe a SP and this team could still make a push!

12 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Has this team finally risen from the dead? Bats are hot, Jazz gives them a nice spark plug. Stanton and Dominguez coming back soon! Add a nice pen arm and maybe a SP and this team could still make a push!

I'll get back to you in a few weeks!

11 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Mark Leiter Jr Bitches!!!

I hope there is more to come!

I did find this on Leiter Jr.

"This year’s 4.21 ERA doesn’t look pretty but that’s mostly due to a tiny strand rate of 55%, well below the 71.9% league average. Since he’s striking out 34.9% of batters faced and also getting grounders at a 50.6% clip, his 2.11 FIP and 2.42 SIERA suggest he’s been about two runs better than his ERA would have you believe."

38 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Mark Leiter Jr Bitches!!!

Better than I originally thought.

Jack Neely

Yankees grade: B+

Leiter becomes one of the most dominant Yankees relievers (at least in terms of K%-BB%), but also the one with the lowest average velocity. This is a feature, not a bug. Leiter's top-end velocity is around 93.2 mph, well below that of the Yankees' key high-leverage relievers. But his strikeout rate (34.9%) is just behind Jake Cousins for tops on the current New York relief staff, and his OPS allowed (.531) is easily the best.

Leiter accomplishes this with a sinker/splitter combo that makes him unique among Yankees hurlers. No other reliever in the current New York bullpen features a splitter, and that gives him a ready-made role as part of Aaron Boone's late-inning toolkit. Leiter's ERA (4.21) is grossly inflated over his FIP (2.11) and because his hard-hit rates are better than average, and he's only allowed two homers, the disparity can largely be tacked up to bad luck. This is a very nice upgrade.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Better than I originally thought.

Jack Neely

Yankees grade: B+

Leiter becomes one of the most dominant Yankees relievers (at least in terms of K%-BB%), but also the one with the lowest average velocity. This is a feature, not a bug. Leiter's top-end velocity is around 93.2 mph, well below that of the Yankees' key high-leverage relievers. But his strikeout rate (34.9%) is just behind Jake Cousins for tops on the current New York relief staff, and his OPS allowed (.531) is easily the best.

Leiter accomplishes this with a sinker/splitter combo that makes him unique among Yankees hurlers. No other reliever in the current New York bullpen features a splitter, and that gives him a ready-made role as part of Aaron Boone's late-inning toolkit. Leiter's ERA (4.21) is grossly inflated over his FIP (2.11) and because his hard-hit rates are better than average, and he's only allowed two homers, the disparity can largely be tacked up to bad luck. This is a very nice upgrade.

He has a good arm and has nice stuff. Big upgrade for the Yanks.

On 7/29/2024 at 9:10 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Weak pulse detected!

20 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Cole just got scratched for tonight . General body soreness . HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

Just now, PS17 said:

IMG_3947.jpeg

Who won the game? Asking for a friend.

On 7/30/2024 at 3:14 PM, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Cole just got scratched for tonight . General body soreness . HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

He's been sick.

I'd rather him skip a start than try to pitch when he feels like crap and he gets hammered.  It happens.  If it was playoffs, I'm sure he'd be out there.  It's July.

• Upvote 1

Cashman, who controls the roster and lineup every day, never has the guts to make big wholesale changes. Never. Same ol same ol. Enjoy watching verdugo, DJ and gleyber collectively bat .230 the next few months while prospects in the minors like durbin, Dominguez and others are ready to play and almost certainly an upgrade. 

5 hours ago, Barton said:

Cashman, who controls the roster and lineup every day, never has the guts to make big wholesale changes. Never. Same ol same ol. Enjoy watching verdugo, DJ and gleyber collectively bat .230 the next few months while prospects in the minors like durbin, Dominguez and others are ready to play and almost certainly an upgrade. 

I would think Dominguez must be in the lineup not matter what. Put Verdugo on the bench if anything.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Barton said:

Gleyber and Verdugo are both gone after this season barring one of them going nuts in the playoffs (which would probably be Gleyber)

DJ’s contract is what it is.  A train wreck - and the train was carrying toxic waste. Most likely I think they start Chisholm next year at 2nd and Cabrera plays 3rd

There is so much complaining in this thread that I thought it would be nice to acknowledge that the Yankees have arguably the best player in baseball (I say arguably because there's always someone that can make a case for someone else.)

I've been watching baseball since 1974 (when I was 6.) I've seen a a lot of great baseball players in my 56 years but obviously none of the true greats like Joe D, Willy Mays, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, etc. So I can only go by what I've witnessed.

When I remove the players who were known to take steroids (specifically Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez), Aaron Judge is probably the best power hitter I've ever seen. He has numbers through August 3 that most players would dream of for a full season. He's already broken the AL (and steroid free) HR record. This year could be even more special. He currently batting .321 with 41 home runs and 103 RBI. That's insane! He still has almost 2 months of baseball left!

When you think of the great baseball players of all time, especially if you are a Yankees fan, you will conjure up Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Mattingly and Jeter. You now really have to add Judge to that mix. He is truly going to be one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

Major League Baseball Sport GIF by MLB

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

There is so much complaining in this thread that I thought it would be nice to acknowledge that the Yankees have arguably the best player in baseball (I say arguably because there's always someone that can make a case for someone else.)

I've been watching baseball since 1974 (when I was 6.) I've seen a a lot of great baseball players in my 56 years but obviously none of the true greats like Joe D, Willy Mays, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, etc. So I can only go by what I've witnessed.

When I remove the players who were known to take steroids (specifically Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez), Aaron Judge is probably the best power hitter I've ever seen. He has numbers through August 3 that most players would dream of for a full season. He's already broken the AL (and steroid free) HR record. This year could be even more special. He currently batting .321 with 41 home runs and 103 RBI. That's insane! He still has almost 2 months of baseball left!

When you think of the great baseball players of all time, especially if you are a Yankees fan, you will conjure up Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Mattingly and Jeter. You now really have to add Judge to that mix. He is truly going to be one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

Major League Baseball Sport GIF by MLB

the guy who says we can’t criticize the jets, who haven’t made a playoff game in 14 years, also says we can’t criticize the Yankees who haven’t been to a World Series in 15 years 

3 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

the guy who says we can’t criticize the jets, who haven’t made a playoff game in 14 years, also says we can’t criticize the Yankees who haven’t been to a World Series in 15 years 

Hey Ph1ldo. Maybe they tolerate you out there, but seriously, you are a know nothing and I doubt you are even a Yankees fan. The thread was about the best player in baseball. Do you want to debate that? GTFO you clown 🤡 When do you change your name again? Go with A$$H@t. It fits you.

17 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Hey Ph1ldo. Maybe they tolerate you out there, but seriously, you are a know nothing and I doubt you are even a Yankees fan. The thread was about the best player in baseball. Do you want to debate that? GTFO you clown 🤡 When do you change your name again? Go with A$$H@t. It fits you.

Go to the broncos messageboard and let them know Payton is making a huge mistake not trying to unlock Zach

• Thumb Down 1

On 8/4/2024 at 12:04 PM, bicketybam said:

Been pitching at A and AA. Made one start at AAA and lasted 1.2 innings after surrendering 7 ER. Sounds good.

I think Will Warren is better and I'd like to get a look at Zach messenger also.

On 8/3/2024 at 8:00 AM, Barton said:

Gleyber loafing and gets benched mid game.

Enough with this guy. 

He should have been moved when he still has some value, DJ is better defensively at 2nd base and he's starting to hit, now that he's back in shape.

9 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

He should have been moved when he still has some value, DJ is better defensively at 2nd base and he's starting to hit, now that he's back in shape.

I agree Gleyber should have been moved over a year ago.  Not buying DJ being back though. We shall see.