Trade for Ayiuk or Tee Higgins?

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This word "need" is thrown around way too liberally here. Not trying to single you out at all, but there's a big difference between "would like it if they had an upgrade at a supporting/role position" and "need" as in they can't do without it. 

Few want to accept that they are going to play Lazard this year -- or at least give him the opportunity to undo the dogcrap impression he made upon the team last year. 

1. Wilson
  2. Williams
  3. Lazard
  4. Corley
  5. Gipson
  6. Brownlee / Taylor / etc.

Plus there are still the rest of the leftovers in FA but tbh if they even add anyone it'd be in a lower, supporting role - WR 4-5 territory at most - not a starting role. 

While I agree that the word "need" is over used, in this case, I thought there was definitely a "need" for the Jets to get another WR who could contribute.  What if M. Williams isn't fully recovered from the ACL to start the season or gets another injury?  Perish the thought, but what if G. Wilson goes down with an injury?  Lazard cannot be counted upon.  If he becomes productive again, Lazard's career rising from the dead would be akin to Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead, and I don't think Rodgers is a miracle worker. I think Corley will supplant Lazard as the #3 option on offense, and if Williams isn't healthy to start the season or gets injured again, Corley will take his place with more opportunities.

1 minute ago, JKlecko said:

While I agree that the word "need" is over used, in this case, I thought there was definitely a "need" for the Jets to get another WR who could contribute.  What if M. Williams isn't fully recovered from the ACL to start the season or gets another injury?  Perish the thought, but what if G. Wilson goes down with an injury?  Lazard cannot be counted upon.  If he becomes productive again, Lazard's career rising from the dead would be akin to Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead, and I don't think Rodgers is a miracle worker. I think Corley will supplant Lazard as the #3 option on offense, and if Williams isn't healthy to start the season or gets injured again, Corley will take his place with more opportunities.

It's probably less than that. Try this on:

Season was already over, Zach sucks, and Lazard stopped putting forth any effort at all. 

I'd want Corley to bump Lazard down, provided it's earned, but we'll see who ends up with more snaps this year. 

I'm not worried about Williams. He hurt it very early last year, had his surgery before Halloween, and doctors have a good handle on the timetable on these things now that they've become so routine.

They're not desperate, and didn't sign Williams just so they could panic into finding two more starting WRs before the end of April. First game isn't for another 5+ months.

The good news is Williams has a lot of his pay tied to incentives, plus will be a UFA again after this season, so he's not just going to want to casually ride a stationary bike. 

Pure speculation on my part after today:

1) we picked up and extra 3rd round pick in the 2025 draft

2) we traded JFM in a salary dump trade

3) we drafted 2 RBs when we already had Breece and drafted Izzy last year.

4) 49ers drafted 2 WRs

Smells like something is up for a possible trade. Not sure if would be with the 49ers or another team.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's probably less than that. Try this on:

Season was already over, Zach sucks, and Lazard stopped putting forth any effort at all. 

I'd want Corley to bump Lazard down, provided it's earned, but we'll see who ends up with more snaps this year. 

I'm not worried about Williams. He hurt it very early last year, had his surgery before Halloween, and doctors have a good handle on the timetable on these things now that they've become so routine.

They're not desperate, and didn't sign Williams just so they could panic into finding two more starting WRs before the end of April. First game isn't for another 5+ months.

The good news is Williams has a lot of his pay tied to incentives, plus will be a UFA again after this season, so he's not just going to want to casually ride a stationary bike. 

I didn't say anything about the Jets panicking or about finding two more starting WRs.  Straw man arguments are not needed or appreciated.  IMO this pick was for insurance, to contribute this season, to add a dynamic different dimension to the offense, and for the future.

If Lazard stopped putting forth any effort last season because of Zach, he should have his ass beat, and demoted to the bottom of the roster.  The only reason he's still on the roster is the huge cap hit the Jets would have taken.

Of course Williams is going to be the #2 option, but they didn't draft Corley to sit on the bench, either.

38 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I didn't say anything about the Jets panicking or about finding two more starting WRs.  Straw man arguments are not needed or appreciated.  IMO this pick was for insurance, to contribute this season, to add a dynamic different dimension to the offense, and for the future.

If Lazard stopped putting forth any effort last season because of Zach, he should have his ass beat, and demoted to the bottom of the roster.  The only reason he's still on the roster is the huge cap hit the Jets would have taken.

Of course Williams is going to be the #2 option, but they didn't draft Corley to sit on the bench, either.

You specifically said panicking, yelled it at me, DM'd it at me, and put it on a billboard. Enough already, it's embarrassing. :D 

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2024 at 8:11 AM, Vudu said:

Corey Davis quit on the Jets last year, no thanks.

By all accounts he was a great teammate while here and he retired to deal with mental health issues - which I’m not gunna fault him for - not like he quit after Rodgers got hurt like Dalvin Cook and Lazard. 

his brother died from cancer a couple years ago so maybe that could have something to do with it 

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Pure speculation on my part after today:

1) we picked up and extra 3rd round pick in the 2025 draft

2) we traded JFM in a salary dump trade

3) we drafted 2 RBs when we already had Breece and drafted Izzy last year.

4) 49ers drafted 2 WRs

Smells like something is up for a possible trade. Not sure if would be with the 49ers or another team.

It’s not in the budget, as we need to extend DJR, MCII.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This word "need" is thrown around way too liberally here. Not trying to single you out at all, but there's a big difference between "would like it if they had an upgrade at a supporting/role position" and "need" as in they can't do without it. 

Few want to accept that they are going to play Lazard this year -- or at least give him the opportunity to undo the dogcrap impression he made upon the team last year. 

1. Wilson
  2. Williams
  3. Lazard
  4. Corley
  5. Gipson
  6. Brownlee / Taylor / etc.

Plus there are still the rest of the leftovers in FA but tbh if they even add anyone it'd be in a lower, supporting role - WR 4-5 territory at most - not a starting role. 

I want them to add UDFA Coker. ASAP. I hope they go on the assumption that Williams and Lazard will be gone after this season.   Williams on 1 yr contract and Lazard gets the boot. So do they need another WR?  "Need" has a lot of different levels of urgency. Maybe this is not urgent, but still a smart move and a worthy roster investment. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Dcat said:

I want them to add UDFA Coker. ASAP. I hope they go on the assumption that Williams and Lazard will be gone after this season.   Williams on 1 yr contract and Lazard gets the boot. So do they need another WR?  "Need" has a lot of different levels of urgency. Maybe this is not urgent, but still a smart move and a worthy roster investment. 

Well someday Garrett Wilson will retire, and we’ll need another WR then, too. Think about it. ;)