WRS tonight

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

so Wislon is WR1. Williiams is WR2 on a pitch count-who do we think is WR3? Lazzard or Corley?

Trying to figure out my prop bet lol

I think it will be Lazard.  He's getting the start in the slot and Rodgers and he have chemistry.  He'll probably get the majority of the snaps in the slot.  It's a tossup of how many snaps Corley and Gipson will get.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If Garrett Wilson pulls a hammy and is replaced by nobody, they still won't even have the worst WR room in the division, let alone the league.

SF drafted another WR in round 1 because they were preparing to lose Aiyuk this offseason. They had at least one Aiyuk trade ready to go through but for him refusing to sign an extension offer from those potential trade partners (Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and I think New England).

With Aiyuk signing this $30MM/year deal, the clock is then ticking on Deebo. They can probably do it for one more season, but the year or two after that too many other contracts will start kicking in much more for CMC, Purdy, Aiyuk, Williams, Bosa, Hargrave, Warner, and any other veteran of substance they look to add.

Regardless, it's pretty obvious the Jets preferred to draft a WR at #10 or higher, but got shut out by one pick. Their WR concerns are mostly early-season ones: Lazard's last action being weekly facepalms, Williams coming off a bad knee injury from last year, and Corley's lack of preseason action making him look like more of a work in process than hoped. 

As awful as that would be, as nycdan said, that's still preferable to seeing Smith or Moses go down, and seeing Warren or Miller play.  Rodger's health would then be in jeopardy, and shortly after that Taylor's health, then we'd be seeing Martinez at QB.  With their running game, TEs, and other WRs, they should be able to survive and compete, if not win, for a week or two while Wilson would be out.  Hopefully, we never have to find that out. 

I wouldn't look for a 1st round WR next year, either, especially if Rodgers isn't back.  Then they'll be drafting a QB.  Even if Rodgers is back, unless they re-sign Kinlaw or Taylor starts looking like (name your favorite NT), they may draft an NT in the 1st round.  I'd prefer the WR as well, but with a defensive HC, you know D is almost always going to come first.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It will be interesting to see how they use Corely. They didn't really show anything in the preseason with him. That could be because they don't want to show their hand or he's just not ready to contribute. 

I'm hoping it's the former and not the latter.  Regardless, they should still have a package of plays where he could go in and contribute.

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

so Wislon is WR1. Williiams is WR2 on a pitch count-who do we think is WR3? Lazzard or Corley?

Trying to figure out my prop bet lol

This is a very good question. I know it won't be any of them if they drop a pass early. So maybe the hot hand.

I have to think Lazard will get the early look because of the familiarity with Aaron.

30 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

As awful as that would be, as nycdan said, that's still preferable to seeing Smith or Moses go down, and seeing Warren or Miller play.  Rodger's health would then be in jeopardy, and shortly after that Taylor's health, then we'd be seeing Martinez at QB.  With their running game, TEs, and other WRs, they should be able to survive and compete, if not win, for a week or two while Wilson would be out.  Hopefully, we never have to find that out. 

I wouldn't look for a 1st round WR next year, either, especially if Rodgers isn't back.  Then they'll be drafting a QB.  Even if Rodgers is back, unless they re-sign Kinlaw or Taylor starts looking like (name your favorite NT), they may draft an NT in the 1st round.  I'd prefer the WR as well, but with a defensive HC, you know D is almost always going to come first.

Too early to tell what they'd do in round 1 next year. Depends on the draft class's strength, where the Jets pick, and what went right or wrong this season. 

Especially depending how much they still like/love Corley, I could see a WR early next year. Wilson will be 3 years ahead experience and contract-wise so it'll be a good layering. But again, too early to tell. If Corley balls out the 2nd half of the season then I think they'd look to solidify elsewhere.

NT would be a tough sell unless he's the kind of prospect who could've gone top 10 but positional value and a strong draft class makes the prospect drop.

Say they are picking in the 20s; I could see them taking a TE. 

Also the elephant in the room prospect-wise, of course I could see them drafting a QB and plan to have him hold a clipboard for a Rodgers year-3 (and year 4 should that be in the cards). 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

Here are the matchups:

Breece. Garrett, Mike Williams (limited), Conklin, Lazard

versus

McCaffrey, Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittles 

You really can't feel great about this.  And SF was so dissatisfied with these weapons that they drafted another WR with their first round pick.  We are one Garrett Wilson hamstring away from having the worst WR room in the league.  Agree with an earlier poster drafting a project in round 3 instead of a more NFL ready WR (Roman Wilson) was a mistake imo. 

Lazard and Williams (health) are question marks, and even GW has his share of drops as well.  

Butterfingers Lazard should be cut or traded  by mid-season.

7 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Lazard and Williams (health) are question marks, and even GW has his share of drops as well.  

Butterfingers Lazard should be cut or traded  by mid-season.

If he's so terrible again by midseason, why would anyone trade for him?

"I just sh** my pants -- someone please buy them from me!!"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Too early to tell what they'd do in round 1 next year. Depends on the draft class's strength, where the Jets pick, and what went right or wrong this season. 

Especially depending how much they still like/love Corley, I could see a WR early next year. Wilson will be 3 years ahead experience and contract-wise so it'll be a good layering. But again, too early to tell. If Corley balls out the 2nd half of the season then I think they'd look to solidify elsewhere.

NT would be a tough sell unless he's the kind of prospect who could've gone top 10 but positional value and a strong draft class makes the prospect drop.

Say they are picking in the 20s; I could see them taking a TE. 

Also the elephant in the room prospect-wise, of course I could see them drafting a QB and plan to have him hold a clipboard for a Rodgers year-3 (and year 4 should that be in the cards). 

I agree with all of your points.  It's too early to tell, but unless they really think that  Travis is their QB of the future, I would be shocked if they don't take a QB in the 1st round next year. Hopefully, the  long-term plan wouldn't be drafting a rookie QB and then starting him after Rodgers and Taylor are gone.

With regards to Corley, I think it could also depend upon whether they want to keep him in the slot, or if they think he's capable of moving outside. Even if Corley does ball out the 2nd half of the season, I'd still like to see them take a WR in either the 2nd or 3rd round, and maybe even the 1st.  Say there's another Nabers or Odunze in the draft that falls to the Jets.  They could move Wilson into the slot, and have Corley and the rookie on the outside, or alternate Wilson, Gipson, and Corley in the slot depending upon the formation and the opponent.

NT would definitely be a tough sell for the fanbase, but would you really be shocked if there was a really DT prospect that fell to the Jets and they took him?  I'm hoping that Kinlaw has a good season, and somehow the Jets are able to re-sign him for a reasonable price and Taylor develops.  If neither of those happen, then DT could definitely be in play.  I'd be surprised if they have the cap space to keep Kinlaw, so in that case it would be Taylor and either a draft pick or cheap veteran like they've done in previous years.

I think Conklin will be back.  Ruckert better stay healthy and have a good season.  Otherwise, if Bates develops this season, Ruckert could find himself the #3 TE and his days could start becoming numbered.  If Corley balls out, there's not a good QB prospect at the Jets 1st round pick (and they don't trade up for one), I wouldn't hate taking a really good TE prospect, but for some reason, the best TEs seems to come in rounds 2 and 3, not the 1st round.

If there's a stud S, and the safety play is what hurts them this season, a stud prospect at S could be in play.

A strong case could be made for drafting a bookend RT to go with Fashanu as well.

If both Echols and Reed leave in FA and they aren't happy with where JBC and Stiggers are in their development/play, even a CB could be in play, though I'm really hoping that wouldn't be the case.

We'd better hope that Sherwood stays.  If Mosely starts showing his age this season, then it could be Barnes or Surratt taking his place, or the Jets drating a LB early.

2 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I'm hoping it's the former and not the latter.  Regardless, they should still have a package of plays where he could go in and contribute.

Corley shouldn't be the only WR drafted in a strong receiver class.

A guy who got his rep trying to run over defenders, rather than use quickness to

get  open and having the ability to follow and use his blockers for YACS.

I would have taken Brian Thomas in the first or moved to get Adonai Mitchell soon after

35 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Corley shouldn't be the only WR drafted in a strong receiver class.

A guy who got his rep trying to run over defenders, rather than use quickness to

get  open and having the ability to follow and use his blockers for YACS.

I would have taken Brian Thomas in the first or moved to get Adonai Mitchell soon after

And it would have been a disaster when T. Smith or Moses goes down with an injury.  There's no way that the Jets should have been thinking of taking a WR in the 1st round.  It always had to be an OT.  JD, did the right thing, but only by luck.

I agree with you however, that Corley shouldn't have been the only WR the Jets took.  They should have taken another in the 4th or 5th round.