Analysis: A Quarterback's Height: Does Size Matter?

Jack Straw

So I'm sitting in class today, bored to tears. I start thinking about (for whatever reasons, I'm not sure) the height's of quarterbacks in the NFL.

I was contemplating: Has a short quarterback ever been to or won a Super Bowl? To find out, I analyzed the height's of quarterbacks who have gone to the Super Bowl since 1983 (I would done every Super Bowl, but I got lazy)

In My opinion "short" for a QB is under 6'2. Some will argue anything under 6'3 is short...whatever. For arguments sake, we'll take a look at both.

Quarterbacks that have played in the Super Bowl since 1983

Ben Roethlisberger

Matt Hasselbeck

Tom Brady

Donovan McNabb *

Jake Delhomme*

Rich Gannon

Brad Johnson

Kurt Warner*

Trent Dilfer

Kerry Collins

Steve McNair*

Chris Chandler

John Elway

Brett Favre*

Drew Bledsoe

Troy Aikman

Joe Montana*

Neil O'donnell

Stan Humphries*

Steve Young*

Jim Kelly

Mark Rypien

Phil Simms

Jeff Hostetler

Boomer Esiason

Doug Williams

Jim McMahon*

Steve Grogan

Dan Marino

Joe Theisman

David Woodley*

Jim Plunkett

* = quarterback who is 6'2

Since 1983

3% of quarterbacks (Joe Theismann) that went to the Super Bowl were under 6'2

27% of quarterbacks that went to the Super Bowl were at least 6'2

70% of quarterback that went to the Super Bowl were 6'3 or taller

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Armed with this knowledge, would you have signed Drew Brees, even if the contract was relatively small?

Would you take Michael Vick or Mark Brunell?

Would you draft a quarterback who is under 6'2 or 6'3?

Am I just being a crazy goose or does size matter for an NFL quarterback?

In today's game I think you have to have a certain height to be successful-remember though sterotyping players starts way back in the high school game-you are pigeonholed right from there practically

In today's game I think you have to have a certain height to be successful-remember though sterotyping players starts way back in the high school game-you are pigeonholed right from there practically

You're absolutely right with the stereotyping of athletes in high school and college.

People always wonder why there were so few African-American QB's in the NFL. It wasn't because they couldn't throw or handle the position; it was because teams at lower levels put them at RB, WR, DB or at other "skill" positions. Slowly but surely that has begun to change.

Am I wrong with my assessment though? It seems like if you're a QB that is shorter than 6'2 and not named 'Joe Theismann,' it is unlikely that you'll play in, let alone win a Super Bowl.

Size does matter. Unless you are Doug Flutie you can't be a shrimp and inspire confidence in NFLers. They look at a short QB like "dude you couldn't start on my college team." Vick is a different story cause he's a runner and other athletes respect the ability to run 4.2. But c'mon.

I would never sign Drew Brees, ever - especially not after a labrum tear.

Bollinger is worse than many street free agents right now. He's miserable. He'll most likely never play football again... it could happen but come on let's be real it's brooks bollinger. They thought he could be a safety until he ran a 4.5.

He shoulda never been drafted. THe only worse pick was Dave Yovanovitz in the next round. Terry was on mushrooms that 2nd day in 2003.

Size does matter. Unless you are Doug Flutie you can't be a shrimp and inspire confidence in NFLers. They look at a short QB like "dude you couldn't start on my college team." Vick is a different story cause he's a runner and other athletes respect the ability to run 4.2. But c'mon.

I would never sign Drew Brees, ever - especially not after a labrum tear.

Bollinger is worse than many street free agents right now. He's miserable. He'll most likely never play football again... it could happen but come on let's be real it's brooks bollinger. They thought he could be a safety until he ran a 4.5.

He shoulda never been drafted. THe only worse pick was Dave Yovanovitz in the next round. Terry was on mushrooms that 2nd day in 2003.

Brooks is a very servicable #3 so I don't know what the hell your talking about. He'll never be a starter, but he could turn into a nice backup for some team. He played his heart out last year behind a swiss cheese O-line yet most people say he doesn't even belong in the NFL. I don't get it.

Brooksie played 5 times better than Vinny last season.

that's like saying my left nut smells better than my right one.

who cares?

Bolly can't throw 3 or 5 step drops. He can only roll out and cannot beat good defenses. A servicable number 3 who's got no upside. He's the last man standing.

When the best thing you can say about a guy is he really knows how to take a beating that's not a good sign.

that's like saying my left nut smells better than my right one.

Okay, this could be even stranger than Vinny the piss smeller. bitonti smells his own freakin' nuts. Or does ham do it and report back? Sorry, I just couldn't let that one slide by.

Brooks is a very servicable #3 so I don't know what the hell your talking about. He'll never be a starter, but he could turn into a nice backup for some team. He played his heart out last year behind a swiss cheese O-line yet most people say he doesn't even belong in the NFL. I don't get it.

he's much better than ol noodle arm. more mobile, throws better , and much more cap affordable.

draft a qb and cut noodle arm after june 1st.

Archived