Cap question, can we have both Davante and Reddick?

I believe Reddick is already factored into our cap space.  His not showing up doesn't change that I don't think (could be wrong).

All reporting I've heard says we can afford Adams at his current 2024 cost.  But it'd be tight.

So I'd wager yes, but neither he nor Reddick can be given more in 2024 if we got Adams.

19 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Or do we have to move Reddick ?

Reddick does NOT count against our cap currently. So, without restructuring some contracts, the answer currently is NO, we could not fit them both. We’d be somewhere in the area of $7-10M short if they both showed up today. Of course, that number goes down by close to a million per week for each of them ($800k per week with Reddick, around $1M per week with Adams). 

My understanding is, this is quite manageable with a couple of restructures. So to answer your question, no, we do not HAVE to move Reddick. And in fact, I doubt we do.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

This isn’t rocket science.  When the bills or chiefs get Davante Adams they somehow will make it work within the salary cap

Joe Douglas can't **** this one up. The cap won't be an issue. You don't hire Hackett to get Aaron Rodgers and then not trade for Davante Adams when he demands a trade and prefers the Jets. Especially after Rodgers took a pay cut to make adding players around him easier.

He has to get this one done.

48 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

1) I think this is why if the trade happens, it will be in the beginning of next week. One less week to pay Adams and he’s not suiting up this Sunday anyway. 

2) Reddick isn’t walking in the door until he has to, so his cap number will be reduced as well. 

So while the answer on 10/04 is no,  that will change.

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

1) I think this is why if the trade happens, it will be in the beginning of next week. One less week to pay Adams and he’s not suiting up this Sunday anyway. 

2) Reddick isn’t walking in the door until he has to, so his cap number will be reduced as well. 

So while the answer on 10/04 is no,  that will change.

What Jason is saying is that yes, we can have both because the Jets will just convert his 2024 salary to a bonus that will hit future year(s). The answer on 10/04 is yes.

• Upvote 1