Newsday - Berger Blog

Maxman

http://newsday.typepad.com/sports_football_jets/

Chad Returns

By Ken Berger

I'm back. So is the blog. More importantly, so is Chad Pennington.

It's only June 15, but today is a significant step in Pennington's return from right shoulder surgery in October. For the first time since training camp last August, Pennington is expected to practice twice in the same day.

I just got finished watching the first practice, and Pennington looked smooth and in command -- but as expected, most of what the offense is working on at this point is the short passing game. Pennington's longest completion by far was a 35-yarder on a post route to Laveranues Coles -- on a blown coverage by Derrick Strait. Everything else was 15 yards or less.

The biggest surprise was that it wasn't Pennington or Patrick Ramsey who strode to the line of scrimmage first with the starting offensive line. That honor went to rookie Kellen Clemens.

To the media members in attendance, it certainly seemed significant that Clemens was getting the starter's reps in the rotation with Pennington, Ramsey, and Brooks Bollinger. Pennington scoffed at the notion, bristling at one point to a TV reporter who brought it up. Pennington explained that the rotation changes every day, and today it was Clemens' turn to get most of the reps behind the starting line in team drills.

Clemens looked poised and in command, but he looked a lot better in individual drills and 7-on-7 than he did in full-squad drills. After consecutive passes that were intercepted by Eric Barton and batted down at the line by Bryan Thomas, one of the Jets' starting defensive players barked at Clemens, "I told you, rook, it's gonna be ugly for you."

While I didn't come away with a strong opinion one way or another about Pennington's progress, I can say this without equivocation: this is a truly open competition for the starting job, and Pennington looks to me to be in for the fight of his career.

I'll be back later to discuss the afternoon practice. Feel free to weigh in.

Blog Notes:

Thoughts on Day One

By Ken Berger

With two practices in the books on Day One of the Jets' mandatory minicamp, some thoughts, observations, and things you need to know:

* While it was difficult to measure Pennington's progress given that only the short passing portion of the offense has been installed, I thought he looked extremely well-versed in the offense and his throws -- short as they were -- looked crisp and accurate. He hit his stride in the two-minute drill late in the afternoon practice, looking completely in control.

* Kellen Clemens has a lot to learn, but he definitely looks the part. He's a cool customer, can command a huddle, and seems to have "it." Mangini said Clemens spends so much time at the complex studying that he might as well move in.

* As expected, Bryan Thomas is working mostly as a stand-up outside linebacker, the hybrid role played by Willie McGinest in New England. I have no doubts about Thomas' ability to pursue upfield and laterally, but I wonder about his ability to drop into coverage.

* I think Dewayne Robertson will be OK at nose tackle, but the Jets will need somebody more stout at the point of attack to clog running lanes on obvious running downs. I can't tell yet if Sione Pouha is the answer. One thing I know: I don't like Robertson as an end. He's not long enough.

* Leon Washington is a nifty runner who has potential as a return man.

* Drew Coleman, an undrafted rookie from TCU, fought for a nice interception in the afternoon practice. I predict his name will keep coming up.

* There are so many pre-snap checks and hand signals in the Jets' new offense that it reminds me of Peyton Manning's scheme. If Pennington can get healthy, this style of offense plays directly to his strengths: reading defenses and making quick decisions to exploit weaknesses he observes at the line of scrimmage.

* Eric Mangini's practices seem more structured and detail-oriented than Herm Edwards' were. But I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon just yet. Don't forget how it works in the NFL: Every time a team goes from a so-called "players' coach" to a disciplinarian, there is a groundswell of opinion that a little discipline is just what the team needed. A few years later, when the disciplinarian is fired and replaced by a so-called "players' coach," the prevailing thought is that the players had become sick of the discipline and needed a coach to "treat us like men." I predict that this will become a storyline in training camp, but Mangini will be judged on the results on the field over a period of several years, not on his practice style.

June 15, 2006 | Permalink | Comments (5)

Archived