AFC East offseason grades

Maynardrules#13

Offseason report cards

Evaluating each team's key moves, off-field events

Posted: Wednesday July 26, 2006 11:46AM; Updated: Wednesday July 26, 2006 12:59PM

1.gif

BUFFALO BILLS

What Went Right: They dealt Eric Moulds to Houston and dubbed Lee Evans their No. 1 receiver. They brought back Peerless Price and gave him a chance to redeem himself as a No. 2 receiver. They drafted two young stud defenders in the first round (safety Donte Whitner and tackle John McCargo). With the team moving to a cover-two scheme, McCargo is exactly the type of cat-quick, interior pass-rusher who can thrive in a one-gap scheme.

What Went Wrong: There are still all sorts of questions about the quarterback situation. The offensive line looks disastrous as well.

Grade: C

MIAMI DOLPHINS

What Went Right: They traded for a franchise quarterback in Daunte Culpepper. As many questions as I have about him -- specifically, can he excel without Randy Moss or former offensive coordinator Scott Linehan? -- he's still the best signal-caller to hit Miami since Dan Marino retired. You also can't overlook the addition of two new coordinators (Mike Mularkey on offense and Dom Capers on defense). Head coach Nick Saban has arguably the best coaching staff in football.

What Went Wrong: They trusted Ricky Williams.

Grade: A-

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

What Went Right: They found a stud running back in the draft when they selected Laurence Maroney in the first round. They also drafted a big receiver with speed (Chad Jackson) who should ease the loss of David Givens. Free-agent cornerback Eric Warfield should be a solid contributor as well -- as long as he can avoid the legal problems that plagued him in Kansas City.

What Went Wrong: Adam Vinatieri left in free agency, taking his clutch right leg with him.

Grade: C+

NEW YORK JETS

What Went Right: They dedicated themselves to bolstering a suspect offensive line. Their first two picks in the draft -- offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold -- should be dependable starters for years to come. Quarterback Kellen Clemens, a second-round pick, also had scouts buzzing about his potential as the draft approached.

What Went Wrong: They did nothing of note in free agency.

Grade: C

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/07/26/offseason.grades.afc/index.html

I guess these guys are nothing of note..

5/31 Signed CB Ray Mickens

4/12 Signed OL Trey Teague.

4/10 Signed LB Brad Kassell.

3/30 Signed CB Andre Dyson.

3/27 Signed DL Monsanto Pope.

3/22 Signed WR-PR Tim Dwight.

3/21 Signed DL Kimo von Oelhoffen

I guess these guys are nothing of note..

5/31 Signed CB Ray Mickens

4/12 Signed OL Trey Teague.

4/10 Signed LB Brad Kassell.

3/30 Signed CB Andre Dyson.

3/27 Signed DL Monsanto Pope.

3/22 Signed WR-PR Tim Dwight.

3/21 Signed DL Kimo von Oelhoffen

How many are Pro Bowl players.... Jets lost three. Kevin Mawae, John Abraham and Ty Law. They did do something of note.. a sour note.

How many are Pro Bowl players.... Jets lost three. Kevin Mawae, John Abraham and Ty Law. They did do something of note.. a sour note.
Hermie the clown also let go of Pro Bowlers Gary Stills & Jerome Woods.

Looking at KC from top to bottom, Herm should win the superbowl with this Chiefs team:

- THAT offense (over the last 4 years ranked 1-1-2-6 in points scored and 5-2-1-1 in yardage). Don't give me any William Roaf excuses - Roaf missed almost half the season last year anyway, wasn't 100% even when he returned, & Herm had more than ample opportunity to find a replacement in a draft like this past one. Besides, now having "only" two pro-bowlers (Will Shields and Brian Waters) on the OL would make for a lame excuse anyway.

- Ty Law joining Sam Madison, Greg Wesley, and Sammy Knight in the secondary (oh - and also he drafted THREE more DB's on top of these five veterans). Surely a former DB coach can turn this crew into a group of shutdown ballhawks.

- Tamba Hali opposite Jared Allen at DE

- DT's that ate your favorite Pro-Bowl center Kevin Mawae for lunch last year (plus his boy Tank Reed) & contributed to the NFL's #7 ranked rush defense - and that was even without Ryan Sims who was hurt most of the year.

- a LB trio of Derrick Johnson, Kawika Mitchell, and Kendrell Bell

This is a STACKED team. In his division he plays 4 games against SD with a first-year QB replacing Drew Brees and a horrible Raiders team. With 5 full years of head coaching experience now under his belt, if Herm can't win it all with this loaded KC team I wonder what excuses jensen & the other Hermaphrodites will offer up this time. That is unless they finally admit that he is simply incapable of ever doing so and therefore pointless to retain as an NFL HC.

Winning less than 13 games with this team would be a disgrace.

- Ty Law joining Sam Madison, Greg Wesley, and Sammy Knight in the secondary (oh - and also he drafted THREE more DB's on top of these five veterans). Surely a former DB coach can turn this crew into a group of shutdown ballhawks.

Isn't Sam Madison on the Giants? Did you mean Patrick Surtain?

They did not "dump Hermy." He walked away and took another job while still under contract with the Jets and all we got was a #4 pick. Unprecedented. I'd have made the SOB sit out until his contract was up before I took less than a #2.

The FO had decided by mid season Herm would not be coming back. A friend heard that directly from someone in the FO. They

They did not "dump Hermy." He walked away and took another job while still under contract with the Jets and all we got was a #4 pick. Unprecedented. I'd have made the SOB sit out until his contract was up before I took less than a #2.

You would've hurt your entire franchise to spite (while paying) one Herm Edwards? At some point you have to do what's best for the team, not what best caters to your ego.

Yes, compared to past compensation, we got raped. So what. Is it about respect? You don't get respect in the league by standing firm on a bad, lame-duck HC. You get respect by winning. And Herm was losing & getting worse. 2006 would've been his 3rd sub-.500 season in 4 years & he knew it.

We should've gotten more than a 4th rounder, but since Bradway was doing the negotiating, the commissioner wanting Hermie to come out looking good, that's the best offer we got. If someone else really wanted him surely they would've come up with more than a single late-4th round pick.

The only one who feels he was dumped was Sperm Edwards. He now has his rebound girlfriend, underage, fat and with no personality. Sperm has nothing on Jennifer Anniston, even his internet name tells it all.

You would've hurt your entire franchise to spite (while paying) one Herm Edwards? At some point you have to do what's best for the team, not what best caters to your ego.

Yes, compared to past compensation, we got raped. So what. Is it about respect? You don't get respect in the league by standing firm on a bad, lame-duck HC. You get respect by winning. And Herm was losing & getting worse. 2006 would've been his 3rd sub-.500 season in 4 years & he knew it.

We should've gotten more than a 4th rounder, but since Bradway was doing the negotiating, the commissioner wanting Hermie to come out looking good, that's the best offer we got. If someone else really wanted him surely they would've come up with more than a single late-4th round pick.

You don't have to let him coach. Just pay him and not let him negotiate with the Chiefs. The league jumped in and brokered this lovely deal for us. Thanks NFL. We got the worst compensation EVER. Nice deal. Way to compromise. Plus, he lied ALL YEAR LONG about not being interested in or talking to the Chiefs. Add the obvious tampering and we should have done better than usual, not worse.

The only one who feels he was dumped was Sperm Edwards. He now has his rebound girlfriend, underage, fat and with no personality. Sperm has nothing on Jennifer Anniston, even his internet name tells it all.

Holy crap. rajensen just slammed Spermy bigtime.:eek:

New England Patriots B+

They lost a bunch of free agents but made up for it with an excellent draft. They are reloading with players like Maroney, Thomas, Chad Jackson and Ryan O'Callaghan.

Miami Dolphins A -

They got Daunte Culpeper for a 2nd round pick. That move in of itself warrants an A grade. Oh, and about the reports of him not being ready for the upcoming season with the knee injury, rumor has it he feels ready to go for the first preseason game.

New York Jets C

Herm soap opera aside, the Jets had the most overrated off-season of any NFL team. They passed over the likes of Matt Leinart, Vernon Davis and Haloti Ngata in the draft to select D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the fourth pick when they could have easily waited to select a comparable talent in the second round with either Winston Justice, Marcus McNeill or Eric Winston. Is Ferguson going to be 10 times better than Justice or McNeill? I doubt that.

Buffalo Bills F

Donte Whitner at number 8? Trading up for McCargo? The Bills offensive line is in shambles, their QB situation is a mess, oh and they hired Dick Jauron, this man has more lives than a cat. In spite of doing a mediocre job in Chicago he manages to last there forever and now scenile Marv Levy gives him another job. This team will be in LA in 10 years.

You don't have to let him coach. Just pay him and not let him negotiate with the Chiefs. The league jumped in and brokered this lovely deal for us. Thanks NFL. We got the worst compensation EVER. Nice deal. Way to compromise. Plus, he lied ALL YEAR LONG about not being interested in or talking to the Chiefs. Add the obvious tampering and we should have done better than usual, not worse.

Hey I agree completely & if you were on the board at the time you would know it. However, he is the HC unless he resigns or is fired. You can't fire him & retain his rights. If he's demoted then he is allowed to go to another team with the promotion to HC.

Personally I don't care anymore. I wanted him fired outright years ago, which would have yielded zero compensation.

And Tx, the day that I will feel "slammed" by a post-&-run coward like jensen is the day I start to believe that personality or physical fitness (as he stupidly alluded to) plays a part in a coach leading a team to a superbowl. Meanwhile the wise and physically fit Edwards had his team get spanked & were winded before halftime in game one. Herm is presently the worst coach in the NFL & other than jensen the only one who feels jilted is Fat-zero. If Herm doesn't win 13 games with that loaded KC team in that sh!tty division, it's a friggin disgrace.

For all the praise he's gotten, you'd think Herm took a team full of scrubs, that hadn't seen a winning season in a decade, and made peerless champions out of them. If Herm led the 2001, 2003, and 2004 Patriots to two 10-win and one 9-win seasons zero superbowls and zero championship games, Jensen & his ilk would still be glowing about how Herm making the playoffs with the help of other teams as the pinnacle of coaching achievement. Meanwhile we all know someone else would've led them to win three superbowls.

Personally I don't care anymore. I wanted him fired outright years ago, which would have yielded zero compensation.

Herm had worn out his welcome, the Chiefs & Herm had obviously talked, so he couldn't have come back and we should have gotten more.

Personally, I don't care anymore either, but when you are grading the teams offseason, that bumbling mess has to be considered as a negative.

Archived