Cotchery receives uncommon praise from coach

Smizzy

Cotchery receives uncommon praise from coach

Monday, July 31, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets coach Eric Mangini throws around individual player compliments like manhole covers. His mantra is team first, team second, team forever.

But when the subject matter turned to third-year wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, Mangini couldn't contain himself.

"He was (voted) the most outstanding player in our off-season program," Mangini began. "That caught my eye. His work ethic and the fact that he distinguished himself in that way, I think is outstanding.

"After seeing Jerricho develop from the other side of the ball, I'm happy to be here working with him. I think he has great potential."

Cotchery, a fourth-round pick from N.C. State, was a favorite of former coach Herman Edwards, who always promised to get him the ball, although it rarely worked out.

Last season, Cotchery had 18 catches for 206 yards and no touchdowns. He also returned 23 punts for 182 yards and no touchdowns.

But with Mangini having declared an open competition at all positions, Cotchery could have a breakout year this season. He's battling Laveranues Coles, Justin McCareins and veteran Tim Dwight for playing time.

LB Victor Hobson, who pancaked WR Phil Silva in a one-on-one tackling drill, said the new drill has been a big hit among the players.

"It's realistic," Hobson said. "I don't know how many times you get caught in the open field. You don't want to be the one on the highlight film diving and the guy is running past you for a touchdown. It (the drill) gets you ready."

The Jets got a big scare when backup NT Sione Pouha injured his right knee in a pileup. He was helped off the field but later returned briefly.... S Erik Coleman (illness) and rookie TE Jason Pociask (shoulder) didn't practice.

Although the Jets' QB rotation came full circle with Chad Pennington working with the first team in the afternoon, Mangini said the rotation will continue for "a little while."... QB Patrick Ramsey had another solid day of practice.

RBs Derrick Blaylock, Cedric Houston and Leon Washington have been impressive in the absence of Curtis Martin.... The Jets, who had two 2 1/2-hour practices, had their first practice in shells (helmet, pads and shorts) yesterday afternoon.... S Kerry Rhodes had his third interception in three days....S Rashad Washington dropped an interception.... Former Jets WR Wayne Chrebet is opening a restaurant/louge across the street from Hofstra.

Cotch is the man. I hope he wins the job. Also good for wayne and it's really good to see Houston is ready and doing well.

Smizzy...I know you like Cotch, you have for a long time. This team needs him to step up and take the #2 spot. JMAC would be okay as a # 3 and hopefully Coles has someone to get him the ball and he can do what we think he can.

But Cotch stepping up would help this team out a lot!

Smizzy...I know you like Cotch, you have for a long time. This team needs him to step up and take the #2 spot. JMAC would be okay as a # 3 and hopefully Coles has someone to get him the ball and he can do what we think he can.

But Cotch stepping up would help this team out a lot!

It would be huge for this team to find talent already on the roster. We all know Herm had no clue what the hell he had...Hopefully he makes the best of this opportunity and shines like I know he can!

Don't be so hard on him, it was better than all the other posts he makes.

If you read his player page then you know he has less catches and less than half the yards for his career than McCareins had last season. You remember, that season with no QB that you all want to crucify McCareins for. I hope Cotchery has a good year, but I don't see him as this great #2 receiver.

Archived