Tangini building the right way

MSGold12

There are very few times in Jet history where the team built the right way. One of the few times was 1977. It was the first "post Namath" eason and the team was garbage. Walt Micheals took over and (with the help of Mike Holovak) had a sensational 1977 draft that netted 7 future starter/major contibutors (POwell, Walker, Klecko, Alexander, Diuerking, Long and Robinson) ans 2 as undrafted FAs (Harper and Schroy). But MIcheals was smart. he knew non QB skill position players would be easier to get later. So he rebuilt his OL and his Dline and THEN later on added the likes of McNeil, Lam JOnes (mistake), Barber (mistake)...but you get my point.

I like what Tangini is doing. No one really expoects mre then 6-8 wins this year but he is building an OL and fromulating his front 7. he got his future QB (I hope) also. What we lack SO seveely that we wont be a real threat this year is high talented skill players. Sorry but Houston, Blaylock, JMac, Jolley, Bakjer and even Coles are not striking fear into anyone. But thats OK. With 3 picks n the first 2 tounds next year (lose Redskins lose!!!), if guys like Brick, Mangold, and AJ step up, we can grab a RB, a WR and even a TE if need be.

My pount is that unlike the quick fix method, they are rebuilding from the ground up. The Jets diod that in 1977-1979 and it helped carry them thrugh the mid 80s when they made the playoffs 4 times in 6 years from 1981 to 1986.

Build the OL and the front 7 and the skill players can come later.

only time will tell if this is the right way or not. look what the redskins have done in 2 seasons under Gibbs with basically no draft picks.

i like the approach the jets are taking but we haven't even seen a preseason game yet. a lot of the future will depend on clemmons, if they have the QB and OL of the future the rest should fall into place.

There are very few times in Jet history where the team built the right way. One of the few times was 1977. It was the first "post Namath" eason and the team was garbage. Walt Micheals took over and (with the help of Mike Holovak) had a sensational 1977 draft that netted 7 future starter/major contibutors (POwell, Walker, Klecko, Alexander, Diuerking, Long and Robinson) ans 2 as undrafted FAs (Harper and Schroy). But MIcheals was smart. he knew non QB skill position players would be easier to get later. So he rebuilt his OL and his Dline and THEN later on added the likes of McNeil, Lam JOnes (mistake), Barber (mistake)...but you get my point.

I like what Tangini is doing. No one really expoects mre then 6-8 wins this year but he is building an OL and fromulating his front 7. he got his future QB (I hope) also. What we lack SO seveely that we wont be a real threat this year is high talented skill players. Sorry but Houston, Blaylock, JMac, Jolley, Bakjer and even Coles are not striking fear into anyone. But thats OK. With 3 picks n the first 2 tounds next year (lose Redskins lose!!!), if guys like Brick, Mangold, and AJ step up, we can grab a RB, a WR and even a TE if need be.

My pount is that unlike the quick fix method, they are rebuilding from the ground up. The Jets diod that in 1977-1979 and it helped carry them thrugh the mid 80s when they made the playoffs 4 times in 6 years from 1981 to 1986.

Wow, a realistic Jet fan that knows what he's talking about. Nice breath of fresh air. Im hoping for solid defense, growth of our rookies, and some tough close losses. Take a star RB with their top pick next year. Grab a WR in round 2.

Oh boy, wait until rejensen gets a hold of that line.:eek:

BTW, building a strong OLine and strong DLine is the way to build a football team.

You don't do that by adding skill players with no interior foundation.

only time will tell if this is the right way or not. look what the redskins have done in 2 seasons under Gibbs with basically no draft picks.

i like the approach the jets are taking but we haven't even seen a preseason game yet. a lot of the future will depend on clemmons, if they have the QB and OL of the future the rest should fall into place.

And no SB appearncers either. You can';t build a SB contender on the fly...it takes some time. Lok at the past winners: NE, TB, Pit...they built the foundation and made their run.

The Jets played Fabini a natural RT with middling skills on the QBs Blind side for too long. It is good the way the first two picks came down - infrastructure picks aren't sexy but they win ball games.

Hey Bit...I didnt know you were here too!!! I prmise to be very civil on this board with you. Bt at JA...its still no holds barred!!!!

I agree 100%. Our cks were not sexy but in the long term they will prove to be correct.

I just thank God we didnt draft that bust in waiting Culter!!!! :yahoo:

I also agree that this is the way to build a team. From a talent standpoint prior to the draft this might have been the worst Jets team since 1989 or 1990. There was no reason to draft skilled positions on a team lacking talent so badly everywhere on the roster. However with that being said I can still see the Jets stealing some games this year. And yes 3 number one picks and a ton of cap room next year should mean that the Jets can turn this thing around in 2 years tops 3.

Its a combo of a tangerine and a zucchini. It was created during a stem cell research lab 2 years ago.

Tangini!

God damn Barton!! That is the best explanation I have had to date. I'm going to give this my stamp of appoval.

POTW!!

Archived