Klecko on 1050 this morning

Bugg

On with Jody Macdonald around 11:30.

Basically said he was honored and pleased that he has a good relationship with the currnet ownership. Also, as to where the stadium is or having your own stadium never made a difference to him as a player. Looks forward to the new stadium.

As to the Jets, said that while Edwards was a "good motivator" he was a "terrible game day coach", and that these days prepared coaches like Mangini are what succeeds. Figures the Jets will be as prepared as anyone week-to-week, and simply the way Edwards did things wouldn't work for them. Got the sense he really didn't think much of Coach Jerk Chicken.

Did note that Mangini's only potential problem could be a simple lack of experience. And he admitted that his son Dan and Mangini didn't always see eye-to-eye, but Dan nonetheless liked and respected Mangini. As to Dan,said Dan is know being used at LB along with DL duties.

On with Jody Macdonald around 11:30.

Basically said he was honored and pleased that he has a good relationship with the currnet ownership. Also, as to where the stadium is or having your own stadium never made a difference to him as a player. Looks forward to the new stadium.

As to the Jets, said that while Edwards was a "good motivator" he was a "terrible game day coach", and that these days prepared coaches like Mangini are what succeeds. Figures the Jets will be as prepared as anyone week-to-week, and simply the way Edwards did things wouldn't work for them. Got the sense he really didn't think much of Coach Jerk Chicken.

Did note that Mangini's only potential problem could be a simple lack of experience. And he admitted that his son Dan and Mangini didn't always see eye-to-eye, but Dan nonetheless liked and respected Mangini. As to Dan,said Dan is know being used at LB along with DL duties.

Thanks for posting this Bugg - us folks that are not in the area would never have heard Klecko's thoughts about the prior regime and Mangini.

Bugg - thanks for the recap. Did Klecko say the Pats defense did not play well last year until Belly started to make the defensive calls later in the year?

I am bumping this because I read from another fan that Klecko said the Pats D did not start playing well last year until Belly took over the defensive play calling. So just wante to know if that was really said.

I waited to respond to this post because I needed to get confirmation

from some guys.

During the wars over the WSS when everyone and their mother was chiming

in over whether it should be built or not, the so named Joe Klecko was

quoted as saying:

I hated to go to Giant Stadium because its not a Jet stadium and I hated

going there.

Skip ahead to yesterday when he was quoted on the airways that he

never cared where he played.

Now the reason I remember this is that when I was on another board

and was against the WSS for reasons not necessary for this post some

yutz would throw Klecko's remark in my face that the Jet players want

their own stadium etc.. etc...

All of sudden he wants to be a good guy.

A liar is worse than a thief.

I can vouch for Senior on this...Klecko, McNeil, etc., were all wearing those WSS T-shirts and I especially remember Klecko stating how he hated playing games in Giants Stadium. Now, he's changed his toon. I realize that it's blasphame to criticize Klecko for flip flopping on this, but what's the real truth?

Did he always like suiting up no matter where he played or he hated playing games in Giants Stadium? No big deal to some, but he sure helped me in deciding where I wanted the new stadium.

Fair points.

I suspect it comes back to the fact that Woody Johnson has made a point of cultivating relationships with Jets alumni, and figure there's probably some appearance money and other goodies in it for them. Who would walk away from that, and if you refused, what point would be proved? That's the way of the world. It may be cynical but it's reality. If Woody Johnson pays some freight, then what ever he's doing now is a good idea. And were any of us in a retired player's shoes with bills to pay, I have a hard time saying we'd pass on this.

Klecko is also very loyal to the Jets because when he went through some legal troubles after he retired, Leon Hess was very supportive.

Fair points.

I suspect it comes back to the fact that Woody Johnson has made a point of cultivating relationships with Jets alumni, and figure there's probably some appearance money and other goodies in it for them. Who would walk away from that, and if you refused, what point would be proved? That's the way of the world. It may be cynical but it's reality. If Woody Johnson pays some freight, then what ever he's doing now is a good idea. And were any of us in a retired player's shoes with bills to pay, I have a hard time saying we'd pass on this.

Klecko is also very loyal to the Jets because when he went through some legal troubles after he retired, Leon Hess was very supportive.

I think you may be speculating a little as to Klecko's motives.

Klecko has been taking advantage of his persona for years now. He

doesn't need any help from Woody.

Klecko helped Woody campaign for the WSS, so Woody if he cares to

probably will throw him a bone.

If he never said a word yesterday about now liking where ever he played

no one would have even thought about it. But he did and he got

caught.

I think you may be speculating a little as to Klecko's motives.

Klecko has been taking advantage of his persona for years now. He

doesn't need any help from Woody.

Klecko helped Woody campaign for the WSS, so Woody if he cares to

probably will throw him a bone.

If he never said a word yesterday about now liking where ever he played

no one would have even thought about it. But he did and he got

caught.

True. But Klecko is hardly the only retired athlete to do so.

Archived