New Cimini Article...and comment

SoFlaJets

Jets' set-up has no letup

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

To help get his team in the right frame of mind for opening day, Jets coach Eric Mangini turned down the lights yesterday and showed a movie. The players probably would have preferred a nap.

After a physically demanding training camp that left some players grumbling and aching, the hope in the locker room was that Mangini would lighten up, allowing their bodies to recharge for tomorrow's opener in Tennessee.

That hasn't happened.

Instead of scaling back the physical workload to concentrate on game-specific mental preparation, Mangini has continued to crack the whip, according to players. They practiced in full pads Wednesday and Thursday, which amounted to an extension of training camp.

Mangini is steadfast in his philosophy, basically the same plan that turned the Patriots into a dynasty. Obviously, it works, but that doesn't mean the players love it.

Once the preseason ended, "We kept pounding," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said yesterday. "We kept the pads on and we kept doing everything we did in camp. There's been no wavering in any decisions he's made or the way he's practiced. It's all been the same."

Many coaches back off at the start of the season, letting the players' bodies heal after six weeks of camp. It will be interesting to see if the Jets are stricken with the dreaded tired-legs syndrome against the Titans.

Does any of this sound familiar? In 2000, the Jets complained about being overworked by first-year coach Al Groh, but they got off to a 6-1 start. When they collapsed in the home stretch, it caused a player revolt.

Publicly, no one has criticized Mangini, but his taskmaster ways are wearing on his players.

"I guess this is his way of making a statement: 'This is not going to be what it has been in the past,'" Coles said. "Throughout my career, the week of the first game, it's been mental, not physical. But we've gotten both parts of it. He's given us the most physical part of it, and it's been grueling. Basically, he's letting us know this is what it takes to get it done."

Said Mangini: "I think the players have worked incredibly hard to get to this point."

Before practice - a typically light Friday session - Mangini worked on his players' minds, showing them a video of famous players and coaches waxing poetic about the excitement of opening day. It featured interviews with Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young and Patriots coach Bill Belichick, both of whom describe their experiences with opening-day butterflies.

Mangini wants his players to appreciate the moment - to a point.

"You can't get too high or too emotional," he said.

The video may have created the opposite effect. Said cornerback Andre Dyson: "He should've shown that film before the game. It got me kind of excited."

WHO'S NO.2? There was no official announcement, but Patrick Ramsey is expected to be the No.2 quarterback, not Kellen Clemens. There's always a chance QB/WR Brad Smith could be the No.2....Injured RB Curtis Martin won't make the trip.

Originally published on September 9, 2006

yesterday Jim "the Mad Dog" Mandich was talking on Miami's WQAM about the how the easy TC for some vets results in the team NOT being ready to hit for real when the season starts.He attributes that to the Dolphins coming out what he calls soft.We'll see how it translates to the Jets.Once again Lav Coles is talking to the press-I wonder how Mangini feels about this talk-which sometimes has SOUNDED like complaining.

We tried the easy approach under Herm and the team started slowly in every one of those years except one. There is a new way of doing things now and if any player doesn't like it, they can get the fock out. Half of these guys would be working the overnight shift at 7-11 if they weren't playing football. effin crybabies.

When the time comes to ease off, it will happen. Understand-that 2000 was a veteran team; this team is pretty young compared to 2000.

And I really like this-

"You can't get too high or too emotional," he said.

GOOD!

Emotion is important, but it carries you only so far. After the first hit, it's probably almost negligible. And for 5 years we had a guy who tried to cover up his obvious technical deficiency with emotion.Often, it seemed he thought that was more important than working out and practicing. It didn't work over the long term. I'd rather have a team be competent in their roles on the field and in good shape than one trying to be "motivated".

When the time comes to ease off, it will happen. Understand-that 2000 was a veteran team; this team is pretty young compared to 2000.

Groh was also replacing Parcells and was considered to be a cheap imitation. Mangini won't have that issue to deal with!

Archived