We are sacrificing the running game because of Chad!

puertorricanjet

But, don't you think we are more concern blocking Chad's shoulder than running the ball?

This reasoning makes no sense because you don't run and pass at the same time. What the hell does protecting the QB even have to do with the running game. This is just one big red herring.

I just don't get the personal attacks on message boards. I think the best thing to do is use ingore when you see somebody getting to you that much. I come here to enjoy quality discussions and debates. Not name calling and insults and irrational responses to rational statements. If I wanted that I'd become a school teacher so I could hang out with people who act the way I did when I was twelve.

Great post I agree completely but in this case name calling and insults are approriate.

"We need to continue to improve in the running game," Mangini said. "That's something we need to consistently work on. We made some progress this week, but each week we want to get better in that area."

He's on it.

Edit: <Puts on spelling commando hat> Please note the correct spelling of "consistently". <takes hat off>

Chad injury-prone status has ill the Jets running game for a while. Is there a possibility we could get more yards with C. Houston? But the question is why he is not playing? Because he can't block? or Because we are over-protecting the QB?

PRJ - GET IT STRAIGHT - We could have Joe Montana back there and the running game would go nowhere. I can see why people are growing tired of u

And what RB do we have that can actually run the ball? None.

C. Houston is a power back that could probably run 12 plays a game. His inabilty of blocking during passing situations has landed him inactive 2 weeks. He finally saw some play, but, I bet the passing protection was one of the issues they got with him; again, over-protecting Chad!

C. Houston is a power back that could probably run 12 plays a game. His inabilty of blocking during passing situations has landed him inactive 2 weeks. He finally saw some play, but, I bet the passing protection was one of the issues they got with him; again, over-protecting Chad!
He was inactive the first 2 games because he doesn't play special teams, not because he is a poor blocker. I agree that he is a poor blocker and started off the new season in the doghouse after week 1 of the preseason, but its not like he is a bonafied starting material.

C. Houston could average a few more yards, and we could utilize him on short yardage situations.

Curtis Martin's lifetime YPC is 4.0. Right now Pennington is averaging 8.2 yards per attempt (not completions, attempts) Why would you possibly want to put a back in who can't block who might give you a 3.7 to 4.0 YPC when we are getting more than twice that production every time Pennington throws the ball?

The 49ers won their first SB under Montana with the 29th ranked rushing D. We are using the short passing game like most teams use the rushing attack at the moment.

Curtis Martin's lifetime YPC is 4.0. Right now Pennington is averaging 8.2 yards per attempt (not completions, attempts) Why would you possibly want to put a back in who can't block who might give you a 3.7 to 4.0 YPC when we are getting more than twice that production every time Pennington throws the ball?

The 49ers won their first SB under Montana with the 29th ranked rushing D. We are using the short passing game like most teams use the rushing attack at the moment.

are going to figure us out by week 8. There are so many passing plays that you can develop. Now the upside of having Leon Washington is that he can run when he catches the ball, reminds me of Tiki Barber. Now, there are no feature RB that can actually pound other than C. Houston, but I just dont see him playing due to his overall passing game.

are going to figure us out by week 8. There are so many passing plays that you can develop. Now the upside of having Leon Washington is that he can run when he catches the ball, reminds me of Tiki Barber. Now, there are no feature RB that can actually pound other than C. Houston, but I just dont see him playing due to his overall passing game.

As much as you like to say it, Houston is not an every down feature running back.

and sitting down a RB that can actually run the ball; due to his inability of picking up the pass rush!

PJ i see what you're getting at and I guess you have a point to an extent. But Mangini is sitting there saying to himself, what gives me the best opportunity to win the game and the answer is the passing game by a mile. The lack of a quality RB and the greeness of the OL puts the ground game at a major disadvantage and requires mangini and Schottenheimer to put the game in the hands of his best and smartest skilled athlete, which is Pennington.

So if anything, the Jets would be sacrificing their chance for winning for the sake of a running game. Is that what u want?

The 49ers went all the way with no running attack.

I think it's a lot harder to "figure out" a passing attack than a runnng game. Most of these modern pass plays have breaks that adjust in accordance with coverages. Personally, I think Barlow can pound it better than Houston and I'm not that fond of Barlow. The only thing I'll agree with is that Houston might have been better than Blaylock with the current line blocking. That's not saying much.

Please go into detail regarding dominant Patriot backs in 2001 and 2003.

2003 Patriots running stats... by the way Brady Passed for 3600 yards. My anology is that we need some form of running attack, and not a running star to win the game. Still, we are not getting it done. Also, look at the average per yard.

Rushing

Rush Yds Avg TD

Antowain Smith 182 642 3.5 3

Kevin Faulk 178 638 3.6 0

Mike Cloud 27 118 4.4 5

Larry Centers 21 82 3.9 0

Tom Brady 42 63 1.5 1

Archived