Learn From Your Mistakes

Maxman

Good article, and that photo cracks me up, haha!

There's nothing wrong with being critical of some of the mistakes the CS has made thusfar. We arent going to quietly accept mediocrity from this CS.

Some of the coaches should be running laps this week! :box:

Good job, Ty. Very admirable.

;)

A few counterpoints-

Although I don't disagree with the Brad Smith "gadget" offense, I'd like to see Brad worked into the conventional offense, more. He's a playmaker.

The jury is in: Bryan Thomas and Dewayne Roberston are busts. We're talking Aundrey Bruce/Brian Bosworth busts. Kimo hasn't done jacksht as a FA signing.

If the Jets lose to Miami, then Mangini needs to field all the players he knows are coming back next year, and bench all the players he knows won't.

Everytime these guys take the field, their stock goes down.

Nice work Tyson

Clemens should have been in the game earlier to get some playing time and experience.

Our defensive line has been terrible- no way to sugarcoat it- not one guy there has shown much of anything.

I take issue with this portion of the article

"This run defense is borderline embarrassing"

Define "borderline" because embarassing is the best word to use for this run defense right now. As I sat in the stands this Sunday on the Jags' second TD drive where I don't think they even faced a 2nd down I tried to decide which was worse....the Oakland Raiders 19 consecutive running plays a couple of years ago, or this debacle. At least against Oakland they were forced to convert a couple of 4th and short situations. The Jags looked like they were going head to head against a defense made up of practice squad guys.

Until the Jets can line up and beat people physically they are going to play finese ball. It really is that simple. Next year there will be some new parts. But right now they are getting blown off the line of scrimmage on both sides.

That kind of limits your options.

finesse ball? and what exactly is that? you will never win any game defensively with finesse.

LOL. I meant more on offense how they do so much motion, trying to create mismatches etc. On defense I don't think they are going to do much of anything until they get a nose tackle and an OLB that can put pressure on the QB.

Max I agree with movement in the offense and different receiver sets but enough with the Brad smith at QB stuff for 5 plays in a row. It is getting old fast and soon will not be effective at all. It should be used as an act of surprise not a desperate measure to get 3 yards.

I think rather than gadget plays, there can be a role for Brad Smith on downs that call for option plays. Whether there's any point to having Pennington on the field on such plays is pretty doubtful.

Problem on defense is they don't have the horses. We're looking at another draft and FA signing perios to address this. If they cannot even get Shlegel on the field, how bad must the backup defensive talent be here? I think Schlegel, barring some magical turnaround, teaches Mangini and Tannebaum to not reach in the draft no matter how much "intangibles" a guy might have.

Still, the Jets have been competitve in every game but last week. 2 turnovers and a blocked punt on the road doomed them. Theyw ere bound to have a horror shoe game. If they get back to competitive play, we'll be okay. The playoffs were probably a longshot anyway. Being in every game and 7-9 wins is not.

They don't sub Chad out because if they did the other team would substitute. It's the same premise as the no-huddle, get the other team in a defense that can't stop the plays you are running and force them to stay in it.

Nice article. I agree they should spend more time repping Brad Smith at the regular offense and less gadgets. Only point I disagree with is benching people on D. I'm not against it, but who the hell are we going to replace them with? Brad Kassel? That didn't work out so well. I'd have given Clemens the last 2-3 series, don't see any good that could come from pulling Chad for Ramsey rather than Clemens.

agree with the chad for ramsey bit. Ramsey is here for one reason and one reason alone--insurance if pennington goes down and the o-line looks too crappy to not destroy clemens.

Archived