Aaron Glenn.....Part II????

JonEJet

A blurb from Len Pastabelli

When unrestricted free agent and four-year veteran Andre Dyson opted on Thursday to take a five-year, $17.5 million contract from the Seattle Seahawks, it meant the Jets likely lost their best viable option, outside of the draft, for upgrading at cornerback. And since New York officials believe in their hearts that starting cornerback Donnie Abraham is not coming back for '05 -- the savvy nine-year veteran has stayed away from all the offseason workouts to this point as he deliberates his future -- there could be a crisis of sorts at the key position.

The list of still-available veterans is not a promising one: Ty Law, Artrell Hawkins, Chad Scott, Dewayne Washington, Aaron Beasley, Dainon Sidney.

But here's one golden oldie, a guy whom New York brass is eminently familiar, that Jets officials might want to at least think about: Aaron Glenn. Yep, the same Aaron Glenn who played the first eights seasons of his 11-year NFL career with the Jets before moving to Houston in the 2002 expansion draft to help stock the Texans roster. The acquisition of cornerback Phillip Buchanon this week, in a trade with Oakland, did not automatically make Glenn expendable. In fact, Texans general manager Charley Casserly and coach Dom Capers both went out of their way to note that Glenn remains in their plans. They cited the need, with Indianapolis in the division, for having three top-shelf cornerbacks on the roster. But the addition of Buchanon, and the presence of second-year veteran Dunta Robinson, the 2004 first-rounder who was arguably the best defensive rookie in the league last season, gives the Texans a pair of young corners.

DeMarcus Faggins emerged last year as a very good "nickel" cornerback, so much so that Houston signed him to a new contract. The bet here is that Glenn could be gotten from the Texans for a pretty modest price. Sure, he's going to be 33 in mid-July, just before training camp begins. And, yes, he still has some of the most dubious hands of any corner in the NFL, and drops as many interceptions as he makes. But Glenn, who almost certainly would have to restructure his contract for the Jets, still had five pickoffs in 2004. He's had four or more interceptions in five of the past seven campaigns. Look at the other veteran corners still in the unemployment line, and suddenly, for the Jets, Glenn might not look like such a bad option.

aaron glenn is the best corner in the history of the new york jets & one of my favorite all time players. before missing out on dyson,2mad.gif i would have wanted no parts of bringing him back. now i'm not so sure it would be a bad move. we picked up t buckley when mickins went down last year. i'm bettin aaron's got a lot more left in the tank than mr. buckley. the price & length of the contract would have to be in favor of the house. but like i said...it's not nearly as crazy as it was a couple of days ago.

image007.jpg

#31 pickin one off in the flat & takin it to the house!!

As much as I love Aaron Glenn, I doubt we can sign him to a cheap contract. He tailed off last year, and is 33 years old

PASS

He's got three years, $13.75M left on his current deal.

I too shall pass.

My dream was Bailey, but it was not to be. I really wished we pushed for that trade a little harder.

If Aaron Glenn and Mike Tannenbaum could work out a restructure that would somehow make his contract more appealing, due to his age and what not, I would happily take him to start over our other options of Mickens, Strait, Law and good god please, a big no thank you to Beasley.

We desperately need a CB. I wish people would just stop the nonsense of this drafting a kicker in the 2nd. I don't care how good Nugent is, we have much bigger needs.

wATCHING LAST YEARS GAMES THE SPEED DIFFERENCE FROM PREVIOUS YEARS WAS SO MUCH IMPROVED. SPEED KILLS!

LETS KEEP GETTING GETTING YOUNGER AND FASTER PLEASE I STILL HAVE MY OLD 31 JERSEY HANGING UP IN THE CLOSET. I HOPE IT STAYS THERE. I WANT A YOUNG BUCK BACK THERE TO GROW WITH COLEMAN AND BECOME A GLENN COVER GUY WITH VICTOR GREEN FEROCITY! (A BIT MUCH TO ASK HUH?) HES OUT TERRY FIND HIM!

I will pass on Glenn- I want to get younger more athletic in the secondary through the draft- ggod value in this draft- guys like Routt, Bartell, Wilson will be there when we pick in second round

In fact, Texans general manager Charley Casserly and coach Dom Capers both went out of their way to note that Glenn remains in their plans.

Capers said on the radio this morning that "Aaron Glenn and Dunta Robinson" are my starting CB's as of right now."

Even though Glenn is getting up there in age, he is still a good CB and has given the Texans some very good games.

Archived