Cedric Houston

flgreen

This guy has more lives then a cat.

He was overlooked in the draft, mostly due to a thyroid condition that went undetected until the combine. Was taken late by the Jets to sit behind Martin.

Last season he did a pretty good job behind an OL that had lost 3 starters, and was one of the worst in the league.

It looked in training camp like he wasn't going to get a chance. The Jets had invested a 4th round draft pick in Barlow, and Houston didn't get many touches until the last preseason game against the Eagles. It looked for sure that he was going to get cut.

He rushed for over a 100 yards against the Eagles and made the team only to be inactive the first part of the season. He has had two minor injuries that have kept him on the sideline. He didn't appear to be injury prone in college, so I assume this was just bad luck.

When he has been in the game he has been effective. 330 yards and 5 TD's in very limited action.

The Jets running game has been a weak point for most of the season. Washington has secured his spot as the lighting. Barlow has looked very weak. Good on short yardage but brought nothing to the every down running game.

There has been a major debate on the boards as to whether the Jets should go for a RB early in the draft. This would more then likely doom Houston to either the #3 back, or a bus ticket out of town.

This week the door of opportunity has swung open for him again. The perfect spot for him to cement a starting job for next season.

As dismal as the Raiders appear to be, they do have the top rated pass defensive in the league. In the past this has been Pennington's down fall. Pennington has been great as long as the rest of the offensive performs well. When he tries to put the O on his back and force balls, it seems to always turn out badly.

As good of a game manager as Pennington is, he just doesn't have the arm strength to put the team on his back and force a win.

The Jets badly need a solid running game so Pennington doesn't have to be in 3-9's and throw the ball upfield into coverage.

If Houston can come to the rescue and be the thunder to Washington's lighting, and be pounding our 4+ yards per carry, this will put Chad in a lot of 2-4 yard third down situations.

When Pennington is in this short yardage situation he is extremely effective. He is one of the best play action guys in the league, a solid inside running game will open up the play action on first and third down for those 40 yard floaters that turn into BIG plays. It will force the D into moving inside to stop him, which opens the door for Washington's lighting outside. We saw last week how that can impact a game.

IMO, a lot of this game is on Houston's shoulders. So is his future. If he can come up with a 18 carry 85 yard effort I believe the Jets will win by 21.

If he can do it two weeks in a row, and keep Manning off the field. He will have secured his future as Washington's partner.

I think he can. I really like this kid and think he has a future with the Jets. For Houston the future is NOW.

Great post flgreen.

One thing -- Houston was getting cut (imo) until that last preseason game. He saved his roster spot with that performance.

Ultimately though, these injury concerns will cost him. I really think they need a new starting back next year. Washington can be the 3rd down\change of pace guy and Houston would be the 3rd HB.

That would be a pretty strong RB team. I would be very happy with that. The kid can play and deserves to be here. I just think they would be better suited with an upgrade at the position.

I'm a big Cedric Houston fan myself and have lobbied for him throughout the offseason and during this season that if he is healthy (which has been sparse so far this season) he should be the starting back taking anywhere from 15-25 touches a game.

Cedric is a bruiser and Leon offers us the change of pace type back that we've made him out to be so far. This running back duo isn't so bad.

But with that being said I still see the Jets taking a kid like Marshawn Lynch (if he falls) or Kenny Irons come April in the draft.

Great post flgreen.

Why doesn't anyone ever mention Michael Bush when talking about drafting a RB? Where is the love for Bush? I really think he is going to be a great pro player.

He is definitely a valid option imo. I have mentioned him and so have a few others.

Now that i think of it, he is in the same position Clemens was, having broken his leg early in his senior year. Both were having very good seasons that got cut short. Maybe the NYJ are hoping he will drop to them in the 2d round, like Clemens did.

And I agree about Houston, he can take a giant step forward tomorrow with a big game, and i think he is going to get the ball a lot by the time it is done.

I'm a big Cedric Houston fan myself and have lobbied for him throughout the offseason and during this season that if he is healthy (which has been sparse so far this season) he should be the starting back taking anywhere from 15-25 touches a game.

Cedric is a bruiser and Leon offers us the change of pace type back that we've made him out to be so far. This running back duo isn't so bad.

But with that being said I still see the Jets taking a kid like Marshawn Lynch (if he falls) or Kenny Irons come April in the draft.

I like Cedric a lot too but his injuries are maddening. I agree that we will probably draft a RB pretty high next year.

I confess that I don't know how good Houston's blocking is. If he's adequate, maybe he stays as the 3rd RB, and special teamer. I think Cedric has a great opportunity to get 100 yards tomorrow against a horrid run defense. Lets hope so, and maybe this will lock him for next year. If only he could stay healthy, I think he could be a feature back.

Archived