In the draft do we pick OG,RT,or both?

TNJet

I hope we get both,do you think they will attempt to get both positions? Or maybe sign one of them in FA?

RT is the bigger issue in the immediate future. They may still get a free agent as many players will be cut between now and the start of the season. This is a patient and calcualted regime running the show and they are aggressive when they see what they want. Everyone needs to calm down on this. They have a plan and they are not going to settle for someone who is not one of "their" guys. They may always get an OT with their first pick. I almost think they should get a beast and move D'Brick to RT until he shows he can beef up a bit. We need a wall protecting the QB's blindside and D'Brick was down to like 285 at the end of the season in which he gave up 12 sacks. That it is not what we expect him to be in the league leader list as.

Kendall is a very good LG and they do need to start thinking about drafting a guy to groom as his eventual replacement but that can be in the mid-to-late rounds too. Moore is still very young and quite adequate but I'm not sure they are sold on him. If they are there is no reason for us to even think about replacing him for a while. If they're not we will find out real soon. I just don't see why everyone is talking up the Guard thing because unless there is a secret plan to oust Kendall or Moore, it is not an issue for this season (the near future? Yes. The draft? Yes.) That's just my take on it.

RT is the bigger issue in the immediate future. They may still get a free agent as many players will be cut between now and the start of the season. This is a patient and calcualted regime running the show and they are aggressive when they see what they want. Everyone needs to calm down on this. They have a plan and they are not going to settle for someone who is not one of "their" guys. They may always get an OT with their first pick. I almost think they should get a beast and move D'Brick to RT until he shows he can beef up a bit. We need a wall protecting the QB's blindside and D'Brick was down to like 285 at the end of the season in which he gave up 12 sacks. That it is not what we expect him to be in the league leader list as.

Kendall is a very good LG and they do need to start thinking about drafting a guy to groom as his eventual replacement but that can be in the mid-to-late rounds too. Moore is still very young and quite adequate but I'm not sure they are sold on him. If they are there is no reason for us to even think about replacing him for a while. If they're not we will find out real soon. I just don't see why everyone is talking up the Guard thing because unless there is a secret plan to oust Kendall or Moore, it is not an issue for this season (the near future? Yes. The draft? Yes.) That's just my take on it.

We need run blockers badly.Moore gets pushed backwards on runs and Clement is decent but just too slow.

Brick's lack of sheer bulk would only be magnified on the right side. If you're worried about sacks, a big lummox with slow feet is not your answer. Big mountain-sized guys are for the right side. He needs to bulk up, no doubt about it. He poofed up to 312 for the combine but 25 lbs disappeared between the draft and mid-season (assuming it took that long). He would be totally out of position as a RT and is not some Robert Gallery-esque bust that you just throw him someplace else. Ferguson is our left tackle & will most likely show the biggest improvement from year 1 to year 2 of any of our '06 rookies.

Kendall should be in his last year here. Overall, he's average, not good. He turns 34 next month. Not over the hill, but not young either. If the rest of the line is stellar, he clearly wouldn't be the one liability that makes it a bad one. But if the rest of the line is mediocre (like it was last year), he'll do little to help get it to the next level. He's a good pass-blocker; not elite, but good. But he gets zero push in the running game. He's even lighter than Brick and his age will prevent him from bulking up & carrying extra weight. Besides, that's not his game. Think Eric Steinbach, but 7 years older.

Moore is a backup who was starting b/c we had no one else. There is a lot of room for improvement. He would make a first-rate backup, is locked up long-term for cheap, and I'd be very happy to have him around in that capacity.

The problem I saw was not Brick's size or Kendall's size so much as these two 6'5+/285-lb stick-figures lining up next to each other on the same side.

We need run blockers badly.Moore gets pushed backwards on runs and Clement is decent but just too slow.

Clement is gone and Moore is a decision that the FO is going to make. I'm not saying he is great but if they want to keep him we don't have a say. There is much worse than him. Let's see what happens when a Defense has to prepare for Jones and Washington and how much less aggressive they may be against Moore if they are actually worried about our running game.

I said we need a Guard and a Tackle. If they are going to replace Moore they have to find someone first. The only thing I'm really worried about this season on their O-Line is RT. In 2008 I'd like to see some new Guards or at least an heir for Kendall.

Clement is gone and Moore is a decision that the FO is going to make. I'm not saying he is great but if they want to keep him we don't have a say. There is much worse than him. Let's see what happens when a Defense has to prepare for Jones and Washington and how much less aggressive they may be against Moore if they are actually worried about our running game.

I said we need a Guard and a Tackle. If they are going to replace Moore they have to find someone first. The only thing I'm really worried about this season on their O-Line is RT. In 2008 I'd like to see some new Guards or at least an heir for Kendall.

Moore is not getting released. No way. He makes like $1M/yr, has 3 years starting experience, and is locked for 4 more seasons. Unless he suddenly becomes unsuitable in even a backup capacity, he's going nowhere.

The Jets don't have a RT so they need one. But if they are gonna be a consistent running team then they will need to upgrade one of the guards. As everyone here has said, neither guard gets a consistent push off the line. I think Moore was better at it than Kendall, but both were adequate at best. And thats not good enough, especially considering the weather conditions that prevail in the Meadowlands in Dec and Jan.

Global warming helps the Jets short passing game.

Brick's lack of sheer bulk would only be magnified on the right side. If you're worried about sacks, a big lummox with slow feet is not your answer. Big mountain-sized guys are for the right side. He needs to bulk up, no doubt about it. He poofed up to 312 for the combine but 25 lbs disappeared between the draft and mid-season (assuming it took that long). He would be totally out of position as a RT and is not some Robert Gallery-esque bust that you just throw him someplace else. Ferguson is our left tackle & will most likely show the biggest improvement from year 1 to year 2 of any of our '06 rookies.

Kendall should be in his last year here. Overall, he's average, not good. He turns 34 next month. Not over the hill, but not young either. If the rest of the line is stellar, he clearly wouldn't be the one liability that makes it a bad one. But if the rest of the line is mediocre (like it was last year), he'll do little to help get it to the next level. He's a good pass-blocker; not elite, but good. But he gets zero push in the running game. He's even lighter than Brick and his age will prevent him from bulking up & carrying extra weight. Besides, that's not his game. Think Eric Steinbach, but 7 years older.

Moore is a backup who was starting b/c we had no one else. There is a lot of room for improvement. He would make a first-rate backup, is locked up long-term for cheap, and I'd be very happy to have him around in that capacity.

The problem I saw was not Brick's size or Kendall's size so much as these two 6'5+/285-lb stick-figures lining up next to each other on the same side.

LOL ... I never said I wanted a lummox! When I say beast I mean a guy about 6'5 + 310-320 that can move too. I never said I wanted a side of beef to just sit there. Brick gave up the 12 sacks, not Kendall. He may have the tools, the height, the reach, but he needs to be over 300 at the least. If D'Brick can keep on the weight and stay at a good weight he'll be fine. He was also a rookie and I'm sure he learned a lot last year. I also never said the guy was a bust. He has always had problems keeping on weight ... since highschool in Freeport. Moving him to RT does not make him a bust. I'm willing to give the guy a shot at LT again. I just didn't feel good with him on the QB's blindside last year. If Pennington was as soft as everyone makes him sound he would have gotten knocked out from some of the shots he took on missed blocks from his blindside. You're right that he is going to get better and as long as he can keep up his weight he will make a great LT. Fingers crossed.

Kendall is a great run-blocker. He's not a bull-blocker but he moves well and picks up the second level great. He makes up for his size with his skills and mobility. I can't see how people can rip on the one part of their line that has been solid over the last few years of insanity and multiple changes. There are better Guards than Kendall but not as many as people seem to think. I love Mangold and he will be the leader of this OL but Kendall is the glue that has allowed it to begin to take the next step. He should definitely start for them this year and then they can put someone they draft this year in his place.

RG could be upgraded and I will not deny that but Moore would be welcomed with open arms on a lot of teams in this league. Tell me who we are going to replace him with and we'll talk. He is also the only other guy besides Kendall that has been with this unit for the last few years. Experience and cohesion is very underrated on the OL.

I don't totally disagree with all you are saying but I think you have to think about the alternatives before we just write people off.

I am certainly with those who argue the OL needs to be upgraded.

It's interesting that Dr. T didn't pursue FA's to do it.

So, is it the draft or do they like some of the younger players? They have Blanton, Goddard, Jones and Smith on the roster. It's possible that they see some possibility of an upgrade at RG/RT from this group.

It doesn't seem likely they can surface 2 starters from the draft. I would love Blalock but don't know if they will have an OL with 3 first round selections.

Moore is not getting released. No way. He makes like $1M/yr, has 3 years starting experience, and is locked for 4 more seasons. Unless he suddenly becomes unsuitable in even a backup capacity, he's going nowhere.

That's what I've been trying to say. I'm not the one that is kicking the guy out of town on this board.

I'd like to sign RT Columbo from the Cowboys as a free agent and select Guards Blaylock (#1) and Ramirez (#3) in the draft. Use the two #2 picks for Defense. And Moore sucks but he is signed to a cheap contract so he can stay as a backup.

Ramirez at the end of the second round would be killer (ie, really good). If it could be guaranteed then I'd say edge rusher and CB with the first two picks - unless Harrell slips to them in the second round. To me, injuries and all, he's worth a flier.

LOL ... I never said I wanted a lummox! When I say beast I mean a guy about 6'5 + 310-320 that can move too. I never said I wanted a side of beef to just sit there. Brick gave up the 12 sacks, not Kendall. He may have the tools, the height, the reach, but he needs to be over 300 at the least. If D'Brick can keep on the weight and stay at a good weight he'll be fine. He was also a rookie and I'm sure he learned a lot last year. I also never said the guy was a bust. He has always had problems keeping on weight ... since highschool in Freeport. Moving him to RT does not make him a bust. I'm willing to give the guy a shot at LT again. I just didn't feel good with him on the QB's blindside last year. If Pennington was as soft as everyone makes him sound he would have gotten knocked out from some of the shots he took on missed blocks from his blindside. You're right that he is going to get better and as long as he can keep up his weight he will make a great LT. Fingers crossed.

Kendall is a great run-blocker. He's not a bull-blocker but he moves well and picks up the second level great. He makes up for his size with his skills and mobility. I can't see how people can rip on the one part of their line that has been solid over the last few years of insanity and multiple changes. There are better Guards than Kendall but not as many as people seem to think. I love Mangold and he will be the leader of this OL but Kendall is the glue that has allowed it to begin to take the next step. He should definitely start for them this year and then they can put someone they draft this year in his place.

RG could be upgraded and I will not deny that but Moore would be welcomed with open arms on a lot of teams in this league. Tell me who we are going to replace him with and we'll talk. He is also the only other guy besides Kendall that has been with this unit for the last few years. Experience and cohesion is very underrated on the OL.

I don't totally disagree with all you are saying but I think you have to think about the alternatives before we just write people off.

I think you're overrating Kendall just a little. He's not what he once was. That being said, you don't replace two guards and a tackle with rookies in 1 season. He'll be fine for 1 more year, then he's out of the starting lineup or outright released.

But just like you suggested at guard (who would you replace him with?), I would ask the same question about left tackle. Who would you replace him with? Even if he fell to us (unlikely), Levi Brown would play RT (and would be a damn good one for years).

I still am hoping we take Blalock in the draft at #25.

Who do you like if Blalock is gone (IMO he's too rock solid to last to #25)?

Hard to say, will. Depends who's left. Guards don't usually get taken that high; end of round 1 is usually the highest nowadays. Tell you what - you tell me which 24 will be off the board & I'll tell you who I like at 25.

Hard to say, will. Depends who's left. Guards don't usually get taken that high; end of round 1 is usually the highest nowadays. Tell you what - you tell me which 24 will be off the board & I'll tell you who I like at 25.

OK. It may not be 24 guys, but i'll take off some good players.

Off the board:

QB: Quinn, Russell

RB: Peterson, Lynch

WR: Johnson, Ginn Jr (this leaves Meacham, Bowe, Rice, I'll even give you Jarrett based on his slow combine WO)

TE: Olsen

OL: Thomas, Brown, Blalock (leaves guys like Grubbs, Staley and Kalil)

DL: Branch, Okoye, J Anderson, Adams, Carriker (sniffle) (leaves guys like CJohnson and Spencer and a few DTs)

LB: Moss, Willis, Timmons (leaves Beason and Poz)

DB: Hall, Houston, Nelson, Landry (leaves Griffin, Ross and Revis)

OK. It may not be 24 guys, but i'll take off some good players.

Off the board:

QB: Quinn, Russell

RB: Peterson, Lynch

WR: Johnson, Ginn Jr (this leaves Meacham, Bowe, Rice, I'll even give you Jarrett based on his slow combine WO)

TE: Olsen

OL: Thomas, Brown, Blalock (leaves guys like Grubbs, Staley and Kalil)

DL: Branch, Okoye, J Anderson, Adams, Carriker (sniffle) (leaves guys like CJohnson and Spencer and a few DTs)

LB: Moss, Willis, Timmons (leaves Beason and Poz)

DB: Hall, Houston, Nelson, Landry (leaves Griffin, Ross and Revis)

Way to make it tough on me. Personally I think more DB's & WR's will go before us. But if I'm forced to choose from this group, I'd pass on a guard/tackle in round 1. At worst, a road-grader like Ramirez should be there with one of our 2nd-rounders. Beekman may be there as well.

NT Brandon Mebane

But I wouldn't pout if we went with Spencer, Revis, or Staley (though he's more LT size than RT). Posluszny is a little small for my taste for the 3-4.

Archived