The Food Thread

SouthernJet

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When it come to spanish food there is nothing better than some Ropa Vieja. Local gas station makes it very good and right now im am stuffed. I could eat this stuff everyday probably.

ropa-vieja.jpg

Local gas station? You're eating food cooked at a gas station? One of these days, let's sit down for a long talk.

Local gas station? You're eating food cooked at a gas station? One of these days, let's sit down for a long talk.

Haven't you ever watched Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives? Some of these places are hidden gems, where people bask in the aroma of petroleum as they dine on delectable dishes like the one pictured.

Haven't you ever watched Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives? Some of these places are hidden gems, where people bask in the aroma of petroleum as they dine on delectable dishes like the one pictured.

I love the idea of some grease monkey stocking the filthy bathrooms with toilet paper, paper towels, etc., then heading over to the kitchen or counter to serve food. But I'm just being cynical. I'm sure the place is clean.

its not your normal gas station.. they have a full kitchen with spanish serious spanish ladies cooking up a strom everyday.. and they make different stuff on different day.. you gotta remember im in south florida its a whole other world down here..lol

• 1 month later...

Here is my old place

Article:Mike's at the Crossroads:/c/a/2008/09/10/NSOP12OHJB.DTL

Article:Mike's at the Crossroads:/c/a/2008/09/10/NSOP12OHJB.DTL

advertisement | your ad here

b?P=69e9326a-674b-11de-9184-2facfc027510&T=1993m5r2n%2fX%3d1246568446%2fE%3d2022775804%2fR%3dncent%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d8.1%2fW%3d0%2fY%3dPARTNER_US%2fF%3d2464863685%2fH%3dYWx0c3BpZD0iOTY3MjgzMTE4IiBzZXJ2ZUlkPSI2OWU5MzI2YS02NzRiLTExZGUtOTE4NC0yZmFjZmMwMjc1MTAiIHNpdGVJZD0iMjEzNTUxIiB0U3RtcD0iMTI0NjU2ODQ0NjQ3ODcxMyIgdGFyZ2V0PSJfdG9wIiA-%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d518D0D4C&U=13rb1dvg4%2fN%3dbQrWA0wNj2A-%2fC%3d600205602.600209373.403477051.403477051%2fD%3dN%2fB%3d1732920739131690711%2fV%3d2

SFGate

Home of the San Francisco Chronicle

Home Delivery | Subscriber Services

Sign In | Register

SFGate Web Search by YAHOO! | Advanced Search

• :minus.gifplus.gifb?P=69e9326a-674b-11de-9184-2facfc027510&T=1988hiq2v%2fX%3d1246568446%2fE%3d2022775804%2fR%3dncent%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d8.1%2fW%3d0%2fY%3dPARTNER_US%2fF%3d370516652%2fH%3dYWx0c3BpZD0iOTY3MjgzMTE4IiBzZXJ2ZUlkPSI2OWU5MzI2YS02NzRiLTExZGUtOTE4NC0yZmFjZmMwMjc1MTAiIHNpdGVJZD0iMjEzNTUxIiB0U3RtcD0iMTI0NjU2ODQ0NjQ3ODcxMyIgdGFyZ2V0PSJfdG9wIiA-%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d518D0D4C&U=1293c02r6%2fN%3dYwrWA0wNj2A-%2fC%3d-1%2fD%3dAP102%2fB%3d-1%2fV%3d0

The burger fan has long faced a dilemma in choosing to visit this restaurant.

It's not the location, shoehorned into an awkward, twisting intersection at Old Redwood and Gravenstein highways in Cotati.

Images

ns-bargan11_mike_0499109806_t.gifns-bargan11_mike_0499109793_t.gifns-bargan11_mike_0499109784_t.gif plus-green.gif View Larger Images

Bargain Bite

[url=http://www.sfgate.com/columns/bargainbites/archive/]More Bargain Bite

• 2 months later...

Double Coronary Burger

Restaurant: The Vortex Bar & Grill, Atlanta, GA

Cost: $13.25 with your choice of sides and a dill pickle

What's inside: Not for the faint of stomach, this flame-broiled half-pound patty of premium ground sirloin is topped with two fried eggs, four slices of American cheese, and 5 strips of crispy bacon, with two grilled American cheese sandwiches replacing the traditional buns and a big ole side of mayo. Two lunches in one!

vortex-double-coronary-burger-1-xl.jpg

• 1 month later...

Fair food: Not for the faint of heart

deepfried-101609.ART0_GP2RNQGC.1+deepfried.05.101609.CLL.embedded.prod_affiliate.156.jpg

For their first stop on the State Fair's opening day Thursday, Joey Harris and his wife, Katrina, head to the Murphy House stand for some deep-fried treats -- a Ho Ho for him and a Twinkie for her.

BY ANDREA WEIGL - STAFF WRITER

Joey Harris and his wife, Katrina, made a beeline for the deep-fried Ho Hos when the N.C. State Fair opened its gates Thursday afternoon.

"Wow. It's good," declared Joey, 31, after taking a bite of the treat, breaded, fried and dusted with powdered sugar. "It melts the chocolate inside and the cake."

Katrina, 29, was less enthusiastic. She prefers a deep-fried Twinkie.

So what was next for this Fayetteville couple? "He wants a turkey leg," she said.

Turkey legs, grilled ears of buttery corn and cotton candy were once enough to satisfy a fairgoer's palate.

But now state fairs across the country are embroiled in a battle of deep-fried one upsmanship. Deep-fried candy bars begot deep-fried Twinkies, then deep-fried Coca-Cola and, now, this year's jaw-dropping creation that debuted at the Texas State Fair: deep-fried butter.

Besides deep-fried Ho Hos, the attention-grabbing new item at this year's N.C. State Fair is chocolate-covered bacon.

"You look around and ask, 'What else can we fry?' We're doing a Twinkie, why can't we do a Ho Ho?" said Paul Amburn, manager of the Murphy House, the concession stand that always seems to come out with something new. It's where the Harrises went to taste-test deep-fried Ho Hos.

The fair food connoisseurs did not let Thursday's cool, dank weather deter them. There were deep-fried delights to consume, everything from macaroni and cheese and pecan pies to cheeseburgers and Snickers bars.

Lori Lancaster, 37, and Jennifer Arthurs, 17, both of Dunn, savored the deep-fried macaroni and cheese -- deep-fried breaded triangles of the Kraft variety. With their manicured fingernails sporting rebel flag detailing, they daintily dipped their treats in ranch dressing. "It is sooooo good. I had to get them three times last year," Lancaster said.

This was Arthurs' first taste, but it was no surprise she found the deep-fried macaroni was to her liking, too. "I live on Kraft," she said.

Even experienced fair food eaters like Luann Wilson of Winston-Salem occasionally have their heads turned. She couldn't believe it when she saw the THK Food Shop Inc.'s stand selling chitlins, collard greens, even streak of lean. "I cracked up," she said.

Her sister-in-law, Charlotte Wilson, ordered a serving of streak of lean, a piece of pork fat with a little bit of meat in it. It's deep-fried until crisp.

This is the first year Tim Keith of Johnston County has had a stand at the fair, and his sister, Rose Crowder, said they have had a lot of questions.

"The biggest question is: 'What is a chitlin?'" she said. (It is fried pig intestines.)

Charlotte Wilson, who enjoyed Keith's streak of lean, said: "When they say you can get everything at the fair, this year they mean it."

Fair food: Not for the faint of heart

deepfried-101609.ART0_GP2RNQGC.1+deepfried.05.101609.CLL.embedded.prod_affiliate.156.jpg

For their first stop on the State Fair's opening day Thursday, Joey Harris and his wife, Katrina, head to the Murphy House stand for some deep-fried treats -- a Ho Ho for him and a Twinkie for her.

BY ANDREA WEIGL - STAFF WRITER

Joey Harris and his wife, Katrina, made a beeline for the deep-fried Ho Hos when the N.C. State Fair opened its gates Thursday afternoon.

"Wow. It's good," declared Joey, 31, after taking a bite of the treat, breaded, fried and dusted with powdered sugar. "It melts the chocolate inside and the cake."

Katrina, 29, was less enthusiastic. She prefers a deep-fried Twinkie.

So what was next for this Fayetteville couple? "He wants a turkey leg," she said.

Turkey legs, grilled ears of buttery corn and cotton candy were once enough to satisfy a fairgoer's palate.

But now state fairs across the country are embroiled in a battle of deep-fried one upsmanship. Deep-fried candy bars begot deep-fried Twinkies, then deep-fried Coca-Cola and, now, this year's jaw-dropping creation that debuted at the Texas State Fair: deep-fried butter.

Besides deep-fried Ho Hos, the attention-grabbing new item at this year's N.C. State Fair is chocolate-covered bacon.

"You look around and ask, 'What else can we fry?' We're doing a Twinkie, why can't we do a Ho Ho?" said Paul Amburn, manager of the Murphy House, the concession stand that always seems to come out with something new. It's where the Harrises went to taste-test deep-fried Ho Hos.

The fair food connoisseurs did not let Thursday's cool, dank weather deter them. There were deep-fried delights to consume, everything from macaroni and cheese and pecan pies to cheeseburgers and Snickers bars.

Lori Lancaster, 37, and Jennifer Arthurs, 17, both of Dunn, savored the deep-fried macaroni and cheese -- deep-fried breaded triangles of the Kraft variety. With their manicured fingernails sporting rebel flag detailing, they daintily dipped their treats in ranch dressing. "It is sooooo good. I had to get them three times last year," Lancaster said.

This was Arthurs' first taste, but it was no surprise she found the deep-fried macaroni was to her liking, too. "I live on Kraft," she said.

Even experienced fair food eaters like Luann Wilson of Winston-Salem occasionally have their heads turned. She couldn't believe it when she saw the THK Food Shop Inc.'s stand selling chitlins, collard greens, even streak of lean. "I cracked up," she said.

Her sister-in-law, Charlotte Wilson, ordered a serving of streak of lean, a piece of pork fat with a little bit of meat in it. It's deep-fried until crisp.

This is the first year Tim Keith of Johnston County has had a stand at the fair, and his sister, Rose Crowder, said they have had a lot of questions.

"The biggest question is: 'What is a chitlin?'" she said. (It is fried pig intestines.)

Charlotte Wilson, who enjoyed Keith's streak of lean, said: "When they say you can get everything at the fair, this year they mean it."

DEEP FRIED BUTTER?Are you kidding me?

DEEP FRIED BUTTER?Are you kidding me?

Only in Texas!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32665106/

Deep%20Fried%20Butter.h2.jpg

Who among us hasn’t simultaneously marveled and shuddered over accounts of deep-fried Twinkies? Deep-fried Oreos? Deep-fried bacon?Well, brace yourself, because a new deep-fried item has been invented that’s so bold, so audacious, so brazen, it’s bound to take your breath away. The invention is none other than:

Deep-fried butter.

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32665106/#storyContinued] That’s right. This artery-clogging, heart-stopping dish is among eight new deep-fried concoctions that will be unveiled to the public at the State Fair of Texas in Dallas later this month. Each year, fair concessionaires try to outdo themselves by dreaming up recipes that could send you racing to your cardiologist if they became regular staples of your diet. The friendly competition has become so intense that fair officials have dubbed the fairgrounds the “Fried Food Capital of Texas.”

This year’s fried butter entry is the brainchild of 39-year-old Dallas resident Abel Gonzales Jr., winner of past state fair competitions for his Texas Fried Cookie Dough, Fried Peanut Butter, Jelly and Banana Sandwich and Fried Coke recipes.

Interesting wrap up from the local paper on the State Fair food in Raleigh this week..

My round up of fair food

Submitted by amweigl on 10/17/2009 - 23:53

Tags: Mouthful | NC State Fair

Where to find fair foods

Deep-fried Ho Hos are being sold for $4 each at a stand run by the Murphy House in front of the Sam G. Rand Grandstand, to the left of the grandstand’s ticket booths. This booth has a total of 15 deep-fried offerings from pecan pie, candy bars to a cheeseburger.

Chocolate-covered bacon, aka Pig Lickers, is being sold four slices for $5 at the Fairgrounds Deli concession stand inside the Education Building, across from House Autry Mills’ stand. These folks tweaked the recipe from what they served during the media lunch to make the bacon crispier and to thin out the chocolate coating. I also discovered chocolate-covered bacon at a second location called Stephanie's Strawberry Creations. If you are headed past the N.C. State Ice Cream stand toward the Village of Yesteryear, the stand is on your left with a large inflated strawberry on top. They claim to use thicker bacon, and I hope so, since they are selling one slice for $2.25 and 2 slices for $3.50.de

Chitlins, collard greens and streak of lean are being sold as sandwiches or separately in a stand on your left if walking past the Kerr Scott Building and the Got to Be NC tent away from Gate 11. Tom Keith, who runs the stand, says this is his first year at the fair.

Buffalo chicken rangoons are being sold for $4 at the stand operated by the owners of Woody’s City Market in Raleigh and Woody’s Sports Tavern and Grill in Cary. These rangoons will warm you on a cold day. Their stand is located on the path to the main midway between the grandstand and the permanent lunch stands. As you head down the hill toward the midway, the stand is in your right. The stand has a large inflated Gatorade bottle on top. They also sell deep-fried pickles, a basket of them costs $5.

Country-fried bacon strips, which are battered deep-fried bacon strips with either ranch or honey-mustard dipping sauce, and a deep-fried banana sundae, which is deep-fried bananas with ice cream, whipped cream and a cherry, are at the Chef’s D’lites stand across from the women’s bathroom outside the Sam G. Rand Grandstand. They also sell my favorite deep-fried chocolate chip cookie dough!

Two unique kinds of cotton candy: maple cotton candy is available for $3.50 a bag in the Commercial Building, while honey cotton candy is for sale for $4 in the Kerr Scott building at a stand called Bobbee's Honey.

Hot chocolate, which is advertised as "crack in a cup," is for sale in the Got to Be NC tent at the Lumpy's Ice Cream stand. The tall cup of hot chocolate is far from the watery version usually served and is worth the $3 cost on a cold day. It is served with whipped cream and I did see folks order it with a scoop of ice cream. The N.C. State Ice Cream stand was offering a similar deal: $3 for a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream and a scoop of ice cream, or at least that was the cold day deal they were offering Saturday. I'm not sure whether I want warmer weather for the fair, or the ability to get that deal again.

Neomonde is now at the State Fair. They are selling beef, chicken, kefta and falafel wraps as well as a salads with mixed greens and hummus. They are located across from Hunnicutt's among the permanent lunch stands.

And for those who adhere to a gluten-free diet, there are gluten-free breads, bagels and chips for sale in the Commercial Building. The stand is tucked into a middle aisle, as opposed to the aisles the run the length of the buildings. Look for the bagel display.

Finally, one of my favorites, Miss Debbie Specialty Apples, is located in the Commercial Building. Their eccentric apples cost from $3.95 to $8.95. But the expensive ones are worth it: a Tiramisu apple is dipped in caramel, then white chocolate, then rolled in Italian creme mixture and topped with cinnamon.

Happy eating! And please add your fair food finds in the comments section.

ok well i made the bacon explosion. It was a very good once in a while snack. Something to do on special occasions, not just because you can feel your arteries clogging as you eat it, but because its not something that i feel the need to eat all the time.

There's plenty of other things that i enjoy eating, that i dont have to spend as much time preparing and cooking as this. It takes about an hour to prepare for the smoker. But once in the smoker it takes 3 hours and just like smoking anything you need to pay attention to it.

All in all its definitly something i would make again for my super bowl party, but not as an every week kind of deal.

B-

That will make me even more depressed.

True, but it's the only answer right now.

I have to go to work early tomorrow morning... oh well. Most of my co-workers are in the eastern time zone so I need to be at work at 7:30 for their 8:30 am. Too bad, I've been drinking since the Jets started playing this pathetic game. Hard to stop now.

True, but it's the only answer right now.

I have to go to work early tomorrow morning... oh well. Most of my co-workers are in the eastern time zone so I need to be at work at 7:30 for their 8:30 am. Too bad, I've been drinking since the Jets started playing this pathetic game. Hard to stop now.

You should see Dr. Mary-Jane. She can make you happy. :P

• 4 months later...

Hoppel Poppel If you are looking for a really big breakfast in Wisconsin or Iowa, find a place that serves hoppel poppel. At Benji's deli in Milwaukee it is part of a large menu that includes such traditional Jewish fare as corned beef and fried kreplach. It is listed as a Benjy's special, and customers have their choice of regular hoppel poppel, which is browned potatoes, salami, and scrambled eggs, or super hoppel poppel, which added green peppers, mushrooms, and melted cheese to the formula.

mini_24.jpg

Now, all around the Bay Area, you will find menus that list Original Joes, New Joes, Baby Joes, and just plain Joes, all of which are a variation of the skillet meal that includes ground beef, spinach, and eggs. We like it at Original Joe's in San Jose (since 1956), where it is called the Joe's Special and the menu alerts customers, "We are not associated with any other 'Joe's' restaurants."

mini_105.jpg

Archived