Martin making a comeback?

Ghost

I don't think you need to play " High school Football " to know where the positions are.

and for that matter i don't even know any high schools who run the wishbone anymore. most schools use at least 1 wr around here and none use 3 rbs at the same time. now midget league, yeah.

and for that matter i don't even know any high schools who run the wishbone anymore. most schools use at least 1 wr around here and none use 3 rbs at the same time. now midget league, yeah.

The wishbone and the "flex" are still going strong in High School football.

• 4 weeks later...

Sources: Jets' Martin talking of comeback

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 4:00 AM

Curtis Martin's damaged knee might be telling him to retire, but his heart has yet to give the final okay.

While many believe he's prolonging the inevitable, the Jets' future Hall of Fame running back still is clinging to the faint hope that he can resume his career, multiple sources told the Daily News yesterday.

"He's talking about trying to come back," one source said.

It's a longshot, and Martin knows that, but he's such a fierce competitor that he apparently doesn't want to surrender until the last possible moment. He may take several more weeks, perhaps until the start of training camp in late July, before making a decision.

A month ago, Martin, 34, said he was working out twice a week at the Jets' facility, "keeping my options open and trying to make sure I stay in shape."

The organization went into the offseason thinking Martin, who hasn't played since 2005, would make an announcement by June1. From all indications, they're giving him plenty of space, allowing him to set his own timetable. Things could get sticky if it drags to training camp; the Jets appear set at running back, especially with the addition of Thomas Jones.

Martin's recent lawsuit against Lloyd's of London could be impacting his timetable. Claiming he was "permanently disabled" by a knee injury in 2005, he's suing the insurer for refusing to pay him the $5 million in coverage he purchased - roughly the amount of his lost wages in 2006.

Guy doesn't know when to quit. And I guess he now figures his lawsuit isn't going to be successful. There's a fine line between being game and being stupid, which Martin has now crossed.

Well then, let him pursue this with another team. His knee is still bone on bone. He's 34. If he wants to come in at vet minimum and see if he can land a roster spot, fine. He wasn't so good in 2005, and the coach who spent 5 years coddling and accomodating him is long gone.Be advised T.Jones is the feature back, Leon Washington the 3rd down guy and Houston the short yardage bull. 34 year olds with shot knees aren't getting one of those roles. If he wants to play like Keith Byars or Tony Galbreath as a spot back, fine. But that's it. This warrior crap is over.

Archived