Jets unlikely to give Kendall new deal & Andruzzi interested

Jets | Team unlikely to give Kendall a new deal

Fri, 11 May 2007 21:29:37 -0700

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets are unlikely to offer OG Pete Kendall a new contract. Kendall is due to make $1.7 million in 2007.

Jets | Kendall looking for new contract

Thu, 10 May 2007 09:46:07 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports New York Jets OG Pete Kendall is seeking a new contract and has not been participating in the Jets' offseason program.

Jets | Andruzzi interested in team

Fri, 4 May 2007 10:47:11 -0700

J.P. Pelzman, of the Bergen Record, reports free-agent OG Joe Andruzzi (Browns) would be interested in playing for the New York Jets should the team show interest in him, according to agent Joe Linta.

Hrrm...

Well we hold him to his contract or he sits out unless a "white knight" partner can be found to swing a trade with us then. For another team they will get two or possilby three years of experienced starter value for the new going rate on versatile guards. Something might happen.

Moss was "worth" a 4th but he came with a huge salary. I am thinking we could get a 3rd for Kendall from the right team.

IMO we only go the hardball route if we are absoluletly sure he is not going to be worth what he is asking.

What did Kendell do last year that makes him think he deserves a raise? Start 14 games and be 290 pounds?

He is very underpaid for a starting O-lineman...

He wants to get his last payday... not uncommon for 30 something year old players...

He wants to get his last payday... not uncommon for 30 something year old players...

He's also very small for an o-lineman. His pay is relative to his size and impact on games.

He's also very small for an o-lineman. His pay is relative to his size and impact on games.

no it isn't. he is paid like a backup and he is a starter. i would actually rather trade him and get someone younger in here, but to say he is paid equal to his value is ridiculous.

What's with the hate for Kendall, he's been one of the only consistant players on the O-line before D'Brick and Mangold got here. He filled in and played center when he had to, IMO it's hard to complain about this player all things considered.

What's with the hate for Kendall, he's been one of the only consistant players on the O-line before D'Brick and Mangold got here. He filled in and played center when he had to, IMO it's hard to complain about this player all things considered.

No hate for the dude.

He is under contract for 1.7 million. If he feels he is worth a lot more, he should not have signed the contract.

If he wants to sit out, and get paid nothing, so be it.

No hate for the dude.

He is under contract for 1.7 million. If he feels he is worth a lot more, he should not have signed the contract.

I agree, why sign the contract? he wasn't forced into it.

No hate for the dude.

I understand not wanting to set a precedent of caving to holdouts, but if you think Kendall will get cut and not earn more than $1.7 you are mistaken. You are also mistaken if you think we are going to replace him for less.

I don't have a problem with Kendall because I don't think he or his agent leaked that he was seeking more money. If they did, they did it AFTER it was leaked that he was being shopped.

The main focus of this team needs to be on the future. If we feel that Kendall will give us the best opportunity to win games in the future; we need to pony up the cash and hire him for his services. If he's a goner come next year, and will be replaced by one of the hands we have on deck (Clarke, Smith, McChesney, etc) then I say, keeping Pete is only to honor our contractual agreement. If he DEMANDS more, and starts chipping away at the "unified team" philosophy by holding out; I say continue to shop. Someone will pay a 2nd/3rd before the trading deadline... I'm sure out of 31 teams, one of them will have a starting OG go down in mini-camp or previous week-6. Desperate teams pay more, and we have the ability to play it patiently.

Had Kendall shown up to the first day of OTA's I'd have a better opinion of keeping him on our team. Truth is, he's too old to warrant the long-term deals getting tossed around the league. Truth is, he's undersized and will only fit well with zone blocking teams. Truth is, his best assests (his mobility and mentoring-presence) isn't what it used to be.

See ya Pete.

The main focus of this team needs to be on the future. If we feel that Kendall will give us the best opportunity to win games in the future; we need to pony up the cash and hire him for his services. If he's a goner come next year, and will be replaced by one of the hands we have on deck (Clarke, Smith, McChesney, etc) then I say, keeping Pete is only to honor our contractual agreement. If he DEMANDS more, and starts chipping away at the "unified team" philosophy by holding out; I say continue to shop. Someone will pay a 2nd/3rd before the trading deadline... I'm sure out of 31 teams, one of them will have a starting OG go down in mini-camp or previous week-6. Desperate teams pay more, and we have the ability to play it patiently.

Had Kendall shown up to the first day of OTA's I'd have a better opinion of keeping him on our team. Truth is, he's too old to warrant the long-term deals getting tossed around the league. Truth is, he's undersized and will only fit well with zone blocking teams. Truth is, his best assests (his mobility and mentoring-presence) isn't what it used to be.

See ya Pete.

A second or third?!?! They shopped him already and found no takers.

A second or third?!?! They shopped him already and found no takers.

I'm sure San Francisco shopped Barlow last offseason before the draft. Devestating injuries have a way of increasing player worth. Had Cmart not gone down we'd have had no business trading away a 4th round pick for Kevan Barlow.

Supply-Demand.

Anyway, I just heard that Adam Shien from Jets Nation has said Andruzzi has a good chance of landing on the team and that our starting line up could look like:

LT: DBrick

LG: Kendall

C: Mangold

RG: Andruzzi

RT: Clement

That looks good to me. Having Adrien Clarke, Wade Smith and Brandon Moore as backups would be more than enough depth. Thomas Jones should have a great year.

I'm sure San Francisco shopped Barlow last offseason before the draft. Devestating injuries have a way of increasing player worth. Had Cmart not gone down we'd have had no business trading away a 4th round pick for Kevan Barlow.

Supply-Demand.

Anyway, I just heard that Adam Shien from Jets Nation has said Andruzzi has a good chance of landing on the team and that our starting line up could look like:

LT: DBrick

LG: Kendall

C: Mangold

RG: Andruzzi

RT: Clement

That looks good to me. Having Adrien Clarke, Wade Smith and Brandon Moore as backups would be more than enough depth. Thomas Jones should have a great year.

Guess you're a glass half-full kind of guy. If somebody offers us a #2 for Kendall I'd trade him mid-season even if we only had Norm Katnick behind him. I hope you're right about Jones, but that OL doesn't have me dancing for joy.

Guess you're a glass half-full kind of guy. If somebody offers us a #2 for Kendall I'd trade him mid-season even if we only had Norm Katnick behind him. I hope you're right about Jones, but that OL doesn't have me dancing for joy.

Three teams have already shown interest in aquiring him. Miami, STL, and KC. I happen to know a certain coach who's been known to offer 2nd round picks for the likes of Doug Jolley. ;)

Pete Kendall is no chump. He's a legitimate starting guard. Granted, he needs to honor his contract and not play hold-out games; this isn't the team to do that with. I think he could serve the team well, but only on their terms. I can see our brass keeping him on the roster without pay-increase just to teach the other players a lesson. In the meantime, if we get an offer for him after say KC's OTHER starting OG goes down (or retires) a later 1st day pick isn't that unreasonable for his services.

No he isn't, he's getting like 4 times the salary D'Brick is getting, and Brick is way better than him at a much more important position. And this is after the bonus and restructuring he did last season that would realistically result in a lower base salary this year.

Archived