Chadiha: Super Bowl should stick to 5 cities - ESPN.com

North Texas can't compete with these cities

By Jeffri Chadiha

ESPN.com

Considering that the NFL has staged the Super Bowl in Detroit and Jacksonville in recent years, I don't have a problem with the league playing Super Bowl XLV in North Texas. That gives us four solid years to brace ourselves for whatever the Dallas/Fort Worth area is willing to offer.

I do, however, take issue with the league's refusal to accept that this game really shouldn't be passed around as if it was a traveling road show. The Super Bowl, when it's placed in the right cities, is supposed to be the perfect ending to another season of pro football. And when you really think about it, some places just can't produce suitable finales.

This is why I've always believed the Super Bowl should be confined to certain cities, specifically those that don't have to account for wind chill factors in their local weather forecasts. Here are my choices:

1. Miami: This doesn't even need an explanation. Any time you can spend a week on the beach and enjoy 80-degree weather before the game, you're going to be pleased with the experience.

2. San Diego: It's not Los Angeles, but it doesn't have to be. The Gas Lamp District is a central location for partying and most people don't even care that the game is held in a dilapidated stadium. Again, the constant sunshine is huge here.

3. New Orleans: Prior to Hurricane Katrina, this would've been the top city on this list. You've got the French Quarter, hotels that are well within walking distance of all the fun and great food. As far as set-ups go, you couldn't ask for better logistics.

4. Phoenix: The drive to the Cardinals' new stadium in Glendale will be harsh, but people can deal with the traffic. This city has hip clubs, excellent food and a zillion resorts. In other words, it can take care of its tourists.

5. Tampa: Hey, somebody had to be fifth. I'd take this city over Houston, Dallas, Jacksonville or Atlanta any day. It might not be as big as those places, but it's also much warmer there in late January and early February.

Jeffri Chadiha is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

It would be nice if the Super Bowl could actually be played with some bad weather conditions.

And seriously, Miami??? There is no way that is the best place to decide who the NFL Champion is. Not only is their team sh!tty, but their fans are too, although in fairness there aren't very many of them. Imagine having a Super Bowl in Green Bay, now THAT would be cool.

I've never been to one. But if the Jets got in, my nightmare would be a February weekend in Detroit or Minneapolis. The article is right. I hope that Dallas doesn't have an icestorm like that Leon Lett Thanksgiving game a few years back.

It would be nice if the Super Bowl could actually be played with some bad weather conditions.

And seriously, Miami??? There is no way that is the best place to decide who the NFL Champion is. Not only is their team sh!tty, but their fans are too, although in fairness there aren't very many of them. Imagine having a Super Bowl in Green Bay, now THAT would be cool.

i would pay to watch that

F' this. I want it picked random, let every team have a fair chance of hosting it, especially the cold weather teams. True fans don't care about weather, and some (myself included) would rather it in the cold, snow, rainy conditions. That's the way the sport's supposed to be played.

F' this. I want it picked random, let every team have a fair chance of hosting it, especially the cold weather teams. True fans don't care about weather, and some (myself included) would rather it in the cold, snow, rainy conditions. That's the way the sport's supposed to be played.

I agree, football is a bad weather game, I like the snowy, rainy games.

Archived