Wadsworth's history? Salute this epic comeback bid - CBS.Sportsline.com

Wadsworth's history? Salute this epic comeback bid

June 26, 2007

By Clark Judge

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Peyton Manning was the first pick of the 1998 draft. Ryan Leaf was the second. And the third is trying to make the mother of all comebacks with the New York Jets.

"I always said I would play until my wheels come off," said Andre Wadsworth, "and that doesn't change now."

Andre Wadsworth's last sack, his eighth as a pro, came Dec. 17, 2000, his penultimate game with Arizona. (Getty Images)

Let's hope it won't for years. Because if there's one guy out there you'd like to see make it -- one player who deserves a chance to do what he wants and do what he loves -- it's Andre Wadsworth.

Now 32, Wadsworth is trying to return to pro football after six seasons away from the game, 15 surgeries -- including 13 since he last played in 2000 -- and over $300,000 of physical rehabilitation. Plus, he's trying to do it at a new position. The Jets have the former defensive end at linebacker, which is another story for another day.

He has gone through OTAs and mini-camps with the Jets, and so far so good. But Wadsworth is a realist. He knows the odds of someone like him making it aren't good. But he also knows himself, which means he doesn't give a rip about odds or degrees of difficulty.

And when you know his background maybe you can understand.

He played at a small Christian high school in Miami, where there were 22 players on his team. He moved on to Florida State, where he made the varsity as a walk-on and was a starter a year later. Not only was he a star by his senior season, he was so good the Arizona Cardinals made him the first defender and the third pick of the NFL Draft.

But he was gone after three years because of knee injuries, and he never played again. Instead, he teamed up with a friend to start All-Pro Imports, a string of six Florida car dealerships that sell BMWs, Porsches and Volkswagens, and to make money the old-fashioned way.

Still, he never stopped thinking about returning to football.

"It's like having a cast on where you can't scratch that itch," said Wadsworth. "I couldn't scratch it because I've been injured so long. But now that the cast is off, why not scratch it and see what I can do?"

That's fine if you've been away from the NFL for a couple of years. Maybe three. But Wadsworth hasn't played a complete season since 1998, his rookie year.

"I hear it almost weekly: Why would you come back?" said Wadsworth. "But anybody who knows me doesn't ask that question. I'll give you an example: When I called my agent after not speaking to him for a year or two, as soon as he picked up the phone he didn't say 'Hello', and he didn't say 'Hi.' It was 'Are you ready for this comeback?' He didn't know what I was calling for, but he knew me.

Players who have spent six years or more without being on an NFL roster

"You can only do this for a certain period of life because of your age, health and the rigors of the sport. I looked at it like I have a small window, and I want to see if I could still do it."

Wadsworth thinks he can, which is half the battle. But he understands what he's up against. The speed and quickness that produced 16 sacks in 1997 aren't always there now. His knees have undergone 13 surgeries, 11 since he last played. And he had his last operation -- something he calls an "exploratory" surgery -- four to five months ago.

Nevertheless, his head is the same, which means his determination hasn't changed. And if you stock your clubs with guys who honest-to-goodness believe they can win, you better start with Andre Wadsworth.

"I still feel I can play this game," he said. "Now, can I play it to an All-Pro status? In my mind, I would say no because I'm used to being the elite athlete who can do the 40-inch vertical leap or run the 4.5 (40), and I don't do that.

"But you don't have to do all those things to be productive. You have to be smart and have a work ethic, and I'm a man of faith. I believe God has a lot to do with it. I believe it's about going out there and giving your best and being productive. That's what counts."

Much has changed since Wadsworth last pulled on a uniform. The 3-4 defense has returned, and the Jets are one of the clubs playing it. That is why Wadsworth is at outside linebacker. Alignments changed on both sides of the ball, with offenses shifting more and defenses adjusting with them.

"There is a lot of disguising, showing different fronts and checks," said Wadsworth. "The game has gotten more complicated."

But remember: Overcoming adversity is what Wadsworth is all about. So when he is asked to name his greatest challenge he lists two: 1) Learning the playbook, and 2) getting through two-a-days. Forget about keeping up with the competition or conditioning. Wadsworth never had a problem with either.

If his legs hold up, this might come down to Wadsworth's resolve. And you have to like his record in that department.

Yeah, I know there's a better chance of the Kansas City Royals winning the World Series. I mean, how many guys return to the NFL after sitting out six seasons? I can't think of the last one. Neither can Wadsworth, but so what? Other players aren't his concern. He's locked on what's ahead for him, and you can't help but hope it's a roster spot.

"Everyone approaches things differently," he said. "You have your realists, pessimists, optimists and people who are just na

Its a nice, feel good story. Unfortunately, of the litte that Wadsworth has been talked about in relation to OTA's and minicamp, reports have said he has looked slow and has yet to crack into the 2nd team defense. It would be nice if he really had it in him to make the team, but unfortunately, I think his age and those 15 surgeries have taken too big of a toll on him..

It would be a fantastic story and I am really pulling for him. But I could see the following conversation between Mangini and Wadsworth after the recent OTAs.

Wad: So, Coach, what would you say my chances are of making the team?

Man: Uh, not very good Andre.

Wad: Not good as in, one in a hundred?

Man: More likely one in a million.

Wad: So you are saying there is a chance!!! Yeah!!!!

Apologies to Jim Carrey. :)

Give him Schlegel or Chatham's roster spot. He could hop on one leg and do a better job than those two combined.

Give him Kimo's spot. he could lay down on the ground and people might trip over him and be more effective than Kimo was last year. :)

Give him Schlegel or Chatham's roster spot. He could hop on one leg and do a better job than those two combined.

disagree completely (at least with Chatham). Although Chatham wasn't a very affective defensive player, he was a leader and role model to a lot of younger players on our team and was a Special Teams ace.

disagree completely (at least with Chatham). Although Chatham wasn't a very affective defensive player, he was a leader and role model to a lot of younger players on our team and was a Special Teams ace.

Chatham would be easily replaced

It would be a fantastic story and I am really pulling for him. But I could see the following conversation between Mangini and Wadsworth after the recent OTAs.

Wad: So, Coach, what would you say my chances are of making the team?

Man: Uh, not very good Andre.

Wad: Not good as in, one in a hundred?

Man: More likely one in a million.

Wad: So you are saying there is a chance!!! Yeah!!!!

Apologies to Jim Carrey. :)

That was great. This is an inspriational story and the beauty of it is this guy has several car dealerships so he is not making this move because he is broke he is truly doing this for the love of the game and for that reason alone I hope he makes it.

That was great. This is an inspriational story and the beauty of it is this guy has several car dealerships so he is not making this move because he is broke he is truly doing this for the love of the game and for that reason alone I hope he makes it.
This is the reason why I hope he makes the team.Also to show guys in the league now that take the Game for granted.

Archived