Brooks, CNNSI -- 3 Challenges for Jets

nj meadowlands

Good read here

New York Jets

Challenge No. 1: Fix the Pete Kendall issue.

Despite signing a lucrative extension in March 2006, Kendall has voiced displeasure with his contract and has raised the possibility of a holdout. Though Kendall is still viewed as a serviceable starter at guard, his declining skills and penchant for being a locker room lawyer leaves the Jets in a bind. The team would love to find a suitable replacement so they can jettison the lineman before he becomes a bigger distraction.

Adrien Clarke is getting the majority of the reps with the first team. If the third-year pro can convince the coaching staff early in preseason that he is ready to be the starter, Kendall will be traded or released prior to the end of training camp. If Clarke falters, the team will likely bite the bullet and keep Kendall.

Challenge No. 2: Find a capable backup for Chad Pennington.

Pennington is one of the top quarterbacks in the league when healthy but the Jets have to solidify the backup quarterback position in case of injury. Former second-round pick Kellen Clemens has not developed as quickly as hoped and free agent Marques Tuiasosopo has yet to prove he can be a solid player in the league.

Both Clements and Tuiasosopo should see significant time early in preseason games. If neither performs up to par, expect the Jets to shop around for a backup. With the quarterback position being the key to New York's success, it is critical that they feel good about the depth at the position.

Challenge No. 3: Get the top draft picks on the field.

In the first two rounds of the draft, the Jets aggressively made moves to secure cornerback Darrelle Revis and linebacker David Harris. They need to push to get these guys on the field because they could be critical pieces in the building of the 3-4 defense. Though teams are reluctant to pencil in rookies as starters, both of these players are significant upgrades over the players who previously manned the positions.

With Revis having to guard the likes of Moss, Lee Evans and Chris Chambers, he should play as much as possible during the preseason. While the adjustment to linebacker should be a little smoother, Harris also needs to see a plenty of work during the preseason. As an inside linebacker in the 3-4 defense, much of his game will involve making critical checks and adjustments for the front seven. Plugging him into the lineup right away will get him much-needed experience against formations and shifts that require quick adjustments.

Yes because it is obvious that Chad Pennington stepped up quickly.

Oh, wait, he was lucky to get onto the field 4 games into his 3rd season.

It should be interesting to see how the LG battle between Kendall vs. the Jets and how Clarke performs in TC and in the Preseason, turns out. I for one hope Kendall is released right before the start of the regular season, ala Lawyer Milloy by the Pats in '03, f you Pete! Have fun finding more than $1.7 million on the open market then.

Yes because it is obvious that Chad Pennington stepped up quickly.

Oh, wait, he was lucky to get onto the field 4 games into his 3rd season.

It should be interesting to see how the LG battle between Kendall vs. the Jets and how Clarke performs in TC and in the Preseason, turns out. I for one hope Kendall is released right before the start of the regular season, ala Lawyer Milloy by the Pats in '03, f you Pete! Have fun finding more than $1.7 million on the open market then.

Pennington > Clemens

Pennington > Clemens

We'll see about that.

All we know is that Chad Pennington cannot lead a team to an NFL Championship without a '85 Bears defense backing him up, and that ain't happenin' anytime soon in New York.

But hey, he can win 10 games against the Texans, Raiders and Dolphins so whopee!!

I love Chad, but anyone can win 10 games with a cupcake schedule. Lets see how he does this season with a schedule a tad harder, as of now.

You need to win at least 11 games to win a division in the AFC, especially this season, and Chad Pennington has never done that in his career. (Win more than 10 games in a season. 10 games won.. which he's only done once)

I dont want to add fuel to this fire of this debate for the millionth time but sometimes chad does have the arm to get it done, sometimes he doesnt. Chad also had herm as a coach and so did cotch and we know herm wasnt in a hurry to start either.

I can't wait to see how clemens, revis, and harris do in the preseason.

Here are the 2 issues I think the Jets should be concerned with:

Offensive line: Can we get a running game going? Can they keep Chad healthy?

Defensive line: Can we get to the QB this year? We brought in the bodies, now lets see if they produce. We have some talent in the secondary but its all for not if you dont put pressure on the QB

We'll see about that.

All we know is that Chad Pennington cannot lead a team to an NFL Championship without a '85 Bears defense backing him up, and that ain't happenin' anytime soon in New York.

But hey, he can win 10 games against the Texans, Raiders and Dolphins so whopee!!

I love Chad, but anyone can win 10 games with a cupcake schedule. Lets see how he does this season with a schedule a tad harder, as of now.

You need to win at least 11 games to win a division in the AFC, especially this season, and Chad Pennington has never done that in his career. (Win more than 10 games in a season. 10 games won.. which he's only done once)

Why wasnt there more teams with 10 wins last year ???

Why wasnt there more teams with 10 wins last year ???

Maybe because of this:

San Diego: 14-2

Baltimore: 13-3

Indy: 12-4

New England: 12-4

Kind of hard for a team in the AFC West or AFC North to post 10 wins when the division winners lose a total of 5 games.

Not to mention the fact that the AFC East had the luxury of playing the awful NFC North.

The Pats went 4-0 and the Jets 3-1 against the NFC North.

No more excuses for Chad. No more f'n excuses.

And brooks has no idea what the Jets think of Clemens. In fact, I can find articles in the past few weeks where its said the Jets still really like Clemens. Nobody really knows. But I find it interesting that we dumped Ramsey and passed on Quinn, making Clemens the backup in 2007.

Archived