Lost in all of the excitement

Green Jets & Ham

The most important thing that happened tonite, FOR THE LONG HAUL, was the fact that Randy Johnson was consistantly hitting 95-96 MPH on his fastball

Sure, he still gave up too many hits, but what happened tonite was DIFFERENT than his previous starts where he gave up more hits than he is accustomed too

In most of those starts hitters were turning on his fastball ... a fastball in the low 90's ... but tonite most of his hits came on the slider and his fastball was very effective for the most part

IMO the mistake he {and Posada} made tonite was NOT throwing more fastballs and less off-speed pitches ... the man was dealing smoke when he threw the heater and Posada should have recognized that and made the adjustment ... CHANGE THE PLAN IF NECESSASRY ... once he saw that he is throwing his fastball like THE BIG UNIT, Posada and Randy should have called MOSTLY HEATERS

But that is an adjustment you can easily make ... EASILY ... the important thing {MOST IMPORTANT THING} that happened tonite was Randy's fastball clocking at 95-96 consistantly ... it was NOT a Gimmie that we would see that again at 41 ... so for THE LONG HAUL that was absolutely huge

I agree, Max ... small strikezone tonite {for both sides} and his slider still needs work {way to flat}, but I was very encouraged by the velocity on his fastball tonite ... best I have seen from him all year ... and if his velocity stays right there at 95-96, he is Going to run off a lot of wins before this season ends

I agree, Max ... small strikezone tonite {for both sides} and his slider still needs work {way to flat}, but I was very encouraged by the velocity on his fastball tonite ... best I have seen from him all year ... and if his velocity stays right there at 95-96, he is Going to run off a lot of wins before this season ends

Well maybe there is something to the cold weather theory. He has been pitching on the West Coast. And it has been cold here for the most part.

Some people said as the temp increased so would the heater. Let's hope that is true!

Archived