Brad Smith competing for back up QB spot

AFJF

This really isn't good news. Brad Smith is never going to be a legit NFL starting QB.

What this says to me is that Smith has been a failure at receiver. And that is most certainly not good.

What this says to me is that we are pretty set at W.R. and it also says that Mangini isn't confident at the qb position. As far as Smith not being a legit nfl starting qb, I seem to remember he was pretty damn good in college. But I'm not going to call you a bunch of names and tell you, you don't know what you are talking about. Because no one knows until a player steps on the field. To be honest I think he could have a decent chance to start for a couple of teams. I have no problem with him backing up Chad. but what really pisses me off, is that if Mangini didn't have confidence is Clemens as the jets future qb, then why the hell did we pass on so many qb's in the draft?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL. When have you seen him in action exactly? He's never started a game yet, stop being ridiculous. Oh and camp reports are not exactly gospel, not to mention training camp JUST STARTED TODAY.

As bad as Chad was playing last year, we still won some games, enough to sneak into the playoffs. Thats why he didnt get yanked after the browns and bears games, we were still in contention.

When Clemens starts actually playing in real games, then we can talk. And even then, all young QBs go through growing pains dont forget. Its a long process unfortunately.

There was a TC last year. He also had some limited action in some preseason games, and if iirc in a regular season game or two. There was also the voluntary camp before TC started.

Then there was his college stuff, which I hadn't seen before.

I'll take the camp reports over a Chad hater's biased remarks. You want Chad to fail, you've said you want the Jets to go like 4-12 or something. It's obvious you'll ignore the faults of the other options while magnifying Chad's mistakes. You seem to forget that I have criticized Chad too. It's just I can realize when something is worse than what we already have, even if what we have isn't that great.

There was a TC last year. He also had some limited action in some preseason games, and if iirc in a regular season game or two. There was also the voluntary camp before TC started.

I'll take the camp reports over a Chad hater's biased remarks. You want Chad to fail, you've said you want the Jets to go like 4-12 or something. It's obvious you'll ignore the faults of the other options while magnifying Chad's mistakes. You seem to forget that I have criticized Chad too. It's just I can realize when something is worse than what we already have, even if what we have isn't that great.

Except we dont know what we have with Clemens until he plays. Bottom line.

The NFL is filled with guys who are lousy practice players and big time game day players, and vica versa. Dont ignore the fact Chad was AWFUL in practice until he got to actually play in 2002.....

and obtw, TRAINING CAMP JUST STARTED. For all we know, Clemens might have a lights out training camp the rest of the way here. Some people are too trigger happy to label such and such players busts w/o them ever getting actual game action. Its alittle crazy.

Seriously, does anyone see how ridiculous that is? Judging a player and writing him off as a bust without him getting any playing time in real actual football games? Its one of the most ridiculous things a fan can do. Its beyond ignorant IMO, no offense.

BTW, how soon we all forget how awful Chad was in training camps up until he actually got the chance to play in real games.

Umm, barton? did you just compliment Chad Pennington? You're turning the corner amigo!

Umm, barton? did you just compliment Chad Pennington? You're turning the corner amigo!

I have always said he was a very good QB.....until the injurys.

Some of you at this site just know me as a chad hater, but I was once a fan of him believe it or not. But unlike 90% of other jets fans, I dont worship him and pretend he's still as good as he used to be, or that he's good enough to win a superbowl. I see him for what he is, and you know how I stand on this issue now. I'm not gonna rehash it.

I dont want to talk about him anymore until he's kicked out, so stop asking me questions about him and how I view him, please! I'll always answer a question about jets football that somebody asks me, to a fault.

\Seriously, does anyone see how ridiculous that is? Judging a player and writing him off as a bust without him getting any playing time in real actual football games? Its one of the most ridiculous things a fan can do. Its beyond ignorant IMO, no offense.

Um no it isn't. You haven't seen me play either, so how can you claim I'm not better than Peyton Manning? Do you see how absolutely absurd your position is?

Brad Smith will be infinitely better as a #3 QB than Tuiosopo or however it's spelled.

McCareins will remain as the #3 WR.

I'm not sure how you can say that. Tui is a good QB - just wait and see.

Um no it isn't. You haven't seen me play either, so how can you claim I'm not better than Peyton Manning? Do you see how absolutely absurd your position is?

Did your team trade up for you in the 2nd round? Are you even just a scrub player in the NFL?

Yes, excellent comparison serphnx.

Did your team trade up for you in the 2nd round? Are you even just a scrub player in the NFL?

That draft was 2 years ago... and Mangini has seen plenty of Kellen's ability VS an NFL defense in practice...

Oh so now we can use external measures to guage success huh? External measures like...training camp, college game experience, height, arm strength, accuracy, etc.?

That's funny, in your previous posts you babbled nothing matters because we haven't seen Clemens in GAME. But now, allegedly, you can make a judgment on me without seeing me in game.

I'm sorry but, much like your life and usual anti-Chad arguments, you fail again. That's the problem with being intellectually challenged but obviously biased.

Maybe Mangini feels he owes Brad Smith atleast a shot in camp to be the back up QB. Also, if the Jets ever plan on using him there even in an emergency they need to get him reps. I think Mangini is just making sure Smith is a legit option at the many positions he can play. If he could never be even a back up option at QB then there is no reason in fooling yourself into thinking that he is going to take up any type of roster spot in that role or ever be an option in a game.

Smith was also practicing as a WR today wasn't he?

Correct and good post.

Everyone will overstate this in the direction that best suits their opinion/agenda though I must admit it is interesting how some of our Clemonaders also now say they own stock in Brad Smith as well.

Having Smith as a throw option when he steps behind center can't hurt......last season we all knew he was running in those situations.

Oh so now we can use external measures to guage success huh? External measures like...training camp, college game experience, height, arm strength, accuracy, etc.?

That's funny, in your previous posts you babbled nothing matters because we haven't seen Clemens in GAME. But now, allegedly, you can make a judgment on me without seeing me in game.

I'm sorry but, much like your life and usual anti-Chad arguments, you fail again. That's the problem with being intellectually challenged but obviously biased.

Invite me to a game of yours and I'll watch. Or send me some tapes and I'll watch those. What team do you play for?

Seriously, this is the dumbest conversation I have ever heard. You're COMPLETELY WRITING OFF A PLAYERS CAREER because he was 3rd string his rookie year, and because he is allegedly struggling in practices.

And I never said Clemens will be a great or even good Quarterback, but lets not get any facts in the way here.

If Clemens cant lock up the #2 spot by week 1, then there is a problem...

Right now... nothing matters... a TC depth chart is worthless and can even just be smoke and mirrors... (like the competition that went on last year but was really won by Chad early)

Right now... nothing matters... a TC depth chart is worthless and can even just be smoke and mirrors... (like the competition that went on last year but was really won by Chad early)

I dont know ecurb. Who's to say I am not the next Jets Quarterback, you've never seen ME play in any games.

You dont know!!!!

I dont know ecurb. Who's to say I am not the next Jets Quarterback, you've never seen ME play in any games.

You dont know!!!!

lol

Training camp depth charts are a joke... we should all be able to agree on this... they can change in minutes...

Lets see how Clemens plays against the Falcons on the 10th.

lol

Training camp depth charts are a joke... we should all be able to agree on this... they can change in minutes...

Lets see how Clemens plays against the Falcons on the 10th.

Dont write me off, ecurb!!! I have as good of a chance as anyone else to be the next Jets QB!!!

You have no idea how good I am because you've never seen me play in any real games, just like serphnx!!

Nevermind the fact I post on a message board!! I am a BIG TIME Quarterback!!

Dont write me off, ecurb!!! I have as good of a chance as anyone else to be the next Jets QB!!!

You have no idea how good I am because you've never seen me play in any real games, just like serphnx!!

Nevermind the fact I post on a message board!! I am a BIG TIME Quarterback!!

I played WR in high school... and I played a little QB in practice when needed... maybe I could step in... :lol:

I played WR in high school... and I played a little QB in practice when needed... maybe I could step in... :lol:

Did you light it up in practice???

And I've never seen you play either, ecurb! Hey, maybe you are better than Clemens!!!

WAIT! So you've never actually seen Kellen Clemens play??

LOL, you're a complete hypocrite. You called me out when I said you'd never be an nfl QB (or better than Peyton Manning, like you said) because I've never seen you play, but then you go call AN ACTUAL NFL QB, ( Kellen Clemens, not somebody who posts on message boards) a complete bust, yet you've never seen him play in any real games either!

LMAO!

=========

BTW, here's a quote from serphnx.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/search.php?searchid=40213&pp=25

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=346133&highlight=Kellen+Clemens+30+touchdowns#post346133

Kellen Clemens is 6'2. Joe Montana was 6'2. Didn't seem to hurt Montana too much. Granted it'll be tough to be a top flight QB in the NFL, but at least Clemens has the opportunity to reach that level, Pennington simply does not.

I could post alot more quotes from you, but I wont. Lets just say you have no leg to stand on in this thread, serphnx.

Heh heh, when Clemens gets beaten out by Smith, will Barton finally give up? We know last year Ramsey beat him out, and earlier indications were that Tiu (I'm not typing that entire thing out) was beating him out for the #2. Now when Brad Smith beats them both out for the #2, Clemens will struggle to get the #3 spot, and if he fails in that too we can finally cut him.

This is why Jaws is not an NFL GM. "Best QB in the draft" my ass.

POTW NOM

If Clemens gets beat out by Smith, I'm going to be pissed that we missed out on Cutler. And I don't care that we get Ferg instead. Because he isn't exactly that hot either.

There are only 2 reasons why this would be happening.

Either Manigini doesn't like what the QB situation looks like and think Brad Smith can help it.

or...

He doesn't like what Smith is doing @ WR and is so unhappy with him he is having him play the only position he feels he might be able to contribute at.

Now both of them bother me. I just hope he can find something he can do and do it well. He is one hell of an athlete and hopefully he will turn into a poor mans Randel El...which isn't saying much anyway.

I mean would he hinder Brad Smiths progress @ WR just to put a fire under a back up Qb? I doubt it.

Either Manigini doesn't like what the QB situation looks like and think Brad Smith can help it.

or...

He doesn't like what Smith is doing @ WR and is so unhappy with him he is having him play the only position he feels he might be able to contribute at.

Now both of them bother me. I just hope he can find something he can do and do it well. He is one hell of an athlete and hopefully he will turn into a poor mans Randel El...which isn't saying much anyway.

I mean would he hinder Brad Smiths progress @ WR just to put a fire under a back up Qb? I doubt it.

Maybe he promised to give Smith a shot at QB this year if he did a solid job at WR last year? He'll either replace Tui, or be a WR again by the end of camp.

What this says to me is that we are pretty set at W.R. and it also says that Mangini isn't confident at the qb position. As far as Smith not being a legit nfl starting qb, I seem to remember he was pretty damn good in college. But I'm not going to call you a bunch of names and tell you, you don't know what you are talking about. Because no one knows until a player steps on the field. To be honest I think he could have a decent chance to start for a couple of teams. I have no problem with him backing up Chad. but what really pisses me off, is that if Mangini didn't have confidence is Clemens as the jets future qb, then why the hell did we pass on so many qb's in the draft?

He WAS a great college QB in his freshman and sophomore years.

Junior and senior years? Well, there was a reason we got him in the 4th round as a wide receiver.

or...

There is another reason, he wants to put in a package for Smith to use in certain circumstances just like Parcells did for Ray Lucas, and just like they did for Kordel Stewart and Randel El in Pittsburgh. It just increases their options, I don't think you can read anything into what Mangini does anyway, he is not about to be forthcoming to outsiders about his intentions.

After re reading the article and some of the comments posted here. I believe last year a lot of us were saying every time Smith gets behind center everyone knows it's going to be a run. So maybe this year with him getting more reps behind center and actually throwing the ball he will do so in a real game. Just an idea.

That draft was 2 years ago... and Mangini has seen plenty of Kellen's ability VS an NFL defense in practice...

Don't you get it E-curb? No one is allowed to pass judgement on Kellen Clemens until he has had three full seasons as the Jets' starting quarterback. It should not matter that the Jets are currently auditioning a scrub journeyman and a guy who was supposed to be a wr to be the back-up QB.

I am definitely bumping up this thread when Clemens secures the #2 spot.

Just an FYI.

Forget about Clemens becoming a superstar QB better than Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Vince Young and Brady Quinn. Now if he just wins the back-up spot he'll be considered a success. Talk about some lowered expectations.

I am definitely bumping up this thread when Clemens secures the #2 spot.

Just an FYI.

You mean does the minimum that would be expected of him?

Im going to start a thread when Vilma locks up the starting spot... :roll: ... lol

Archived