Overrated and underrated quaterbacks

NY Jets Guy

Quarterbacks are the subject of this week's installment of overrated and underrated players. No position in the league is more celebrated or criticized, so emotions tend to run high when putting together quarterback ratings.

July 25 GlossaryYPA (Yards Per Attempt): A quick barometer of a quarterback/wide receiver/tight end's efficiency.

Success Percentage: The percentage of plays a player does something successful with the ball. Successful plays include completions (for offensive players), incompletions (for defensive players) and penalty plays that go in the player's favor.

SYPA (Success percentage X Yards Per Attempt): A metric that combines both success percentage and YPA in an effort to measure a player's overall effectiveness.

Bad decisions: A quarterback is charged with a bad decision when he does something with the ball that either leads to, or nearly leads to, a turnover. The most common bad decisions are forcing passes into coverage or staring at receivers.

Weighted bad decision percentage: Bad decisions are given point totals based on the amount of damage they cause. Weighted bad decisions are those point totals expressed as a percentage of total pass attempts.

KC Joyner, aka The Football Scientist, is ecurb's hero :P

NY Jets Guy: This was posted before and turned into a multiple page thread!

Oh... I guess I missed that.... I'm in the process of moving right now so I miss a lot of posts.

It looks like a few other people missed it too though, so it wasn't entirely a waste ;)

Your kidding?

The QBs that the Cowboys have started before Aikman, Gary Hogeboom and Steve Pelleur never played up to expectation after their first year, and then after Aikman, Carter, Hutchinson and Henson. There are patterns in history, and come on, Romo underrated? He had everyone creaming their pants until he fumbled the kick, but that lasted a week or two and now he is back to near golden boy staus. You know who is an underrated QB, Billy Volek. If I ran a team and needed an emergency QB, I would go with Volek any day.

Archived