D-Line Combine report

R44

Khary Long, Baylor, 4.68

David McMillen, Kansas, 4.49 & 4.63

Eric Moore, FSU, 4.75 & 4.9

David Pollack, Georgia, 4.78 & 4.85 (said he can squat 700 pounds, has small arms 30")

Matt Roth, Iowa, 4.76 & 4.83

Bill Swancutt, Oregon State, 5.03

Bernard Thomas, Nebraska, 5.02 & 4.99

Jon Welsh, Wisconsin, 4.58 (linebacker type)

Erasmus James, Wisconsin, 4.85 & 4.9

Lynn McGruder, Oklahoma, 5.01

Mike Montgomery, Texas A&M, 5.07

C.J Mosley, Missouri, 5.10

Sione Puoha, Utah, 5.03

Tyler King, UConn,---figures they'd cut to commericial when a Husky runs :roll:

Jon Goodard, Marshall, 4.72

Andre Frazier, Cincinnati, 4.73

Luis Castillo, Northwestern, 4.85--great time for the Garfield, N.J native, because he's like 300 lbs.

#######

Top 2 TE's that actually ran:

Adam Bergen, Lehigh, 4.86 (LI native)

Joel Dressen, CSU, 4.81

BTY, the best lineman in workouts is Andre Frazier...But at 234 pounds isn't it a joke that worked out with legit DL's like Pollack, James and Roth, Mosley, ect?

=;

TS, I disagree about Pollack---40 times for D-Lineman is bullspit anyway....It's all about explosion in a small area...

Matt Roth, for example, didn't run a great time, but his footwork display was insane in drills :twisted:

Yes Maxman, most of better scores were turned in by lesser players, who are much smaller than they need to be to play DL...and project as LB's.

Really not a good way to judge D-Lineman by speed alone...

####

BTY Maxman, I saw the 40 yard dash was thought of in the 1960's...it was intended for special teamers only.

Average punt was 40 yards...how fast can you run down to cover?

So making lineman and QB's run it is almost stupid :twisted:

McMillen is "listed" at 240 pounds....His playing weight is likely 230.

So, is he "really" a legit DE prospect? And, he ran close to a 4.7 his next attempt--which is strange :shock:

Probably another 3-4 LB....who just bettered the bigger, true DL's. Again, 40's for lineman is mostly bull....Just want to make sure they aren't totally "unathletic".

Unfair to compare McMillen, who's built like a safety, to C.J Mosley or any of the other DL's.

Small schooler Ike Hilton ran a 4.49 last combine at DE (250) pounds and he was a 7th rounder and didn't make the NFL in 2004, so we'll see?

########

Faba, Castillo is flying up....He's actually a legit DT (close to 300lbs.)...NFL network scout had as his 4th or 5th best DT in the draft....2nd rounder, the experts say.

Interesting.

Pollack and Swancutt were both considered possible DE to LB conversion projects on the Pats board (as heavier, "elephant" types).

I think Pollack looks less likely.... and Swancutt.... hell no...

Don't put too much on a foot race...As I said, most of the better times were done by 228 pounders.

Swancutt can't play 3-4 OLB likely, but don't forget this: While some of these tracksters were playing like chumpa$$es at the Senior Bowl, Swancutt abused Ray Willis (a good tackle) for 3 sacks.

What do a team want, a player that runs a fraction of a second faster, or a player that destroys OT's?

Remember, he holds (or almost holds) the PAC-10 career sack record

Pollack looked great, I think....Remember 2x Hedricks award winner, squats 700 pounds, best rusher in SEC history and still ran a 4.7 for big player :twisted:

RIGS!! What's the word with Khary Long? I was watching him line up to run and I couldn't take my eyes off his massive arms. They were freakish! And to run like that? Holy.

And as for my prejudice against Pollack, it has more to do with a long-standing issue with all the pub he got. I have defied my own cardinal rule of judging a player strictly by what he does on the field (he was crazy productive at UGA), but he doesn't strike me as a player I would really want on my team. Sure, that means he'll probably go out and make 1 Pro Bowls, but I just have a THING about him. You ever get that way about a player? Just a vicious blood-lust hatred for them, despite having no real basis in reality? :lol: :?:

TS, a different source we have had better numbers for Pollack and James (both 4.72 best time)...

I think they stay where they are, because all these fast DE's seemed to weigh 240 pounds or less--thus frauds.

Pollack's hype was likely due to the fact he was insane prior to his senior...Few players, in this time, stay in school after doing so well early...So he caught a ton of hype--snowball effect.

K.Long is another player that is smaller--250 for a DE...

Direct opposite of Pollack--Long had 2 sacks as a 5th year Sr. and 9 total in 4 season (half 4.5 as a soph) :P

Not a productive player, I think...But the NFL is all about potential, so???

TS, a different source we have had better numbers for Pollack and James (both 4.72 best time)...

I think they stay where they are, because all these fast DE's seemed to weigh 240 pounds or less--thus frauds.

Pollack's hype was likely due to the fact he was insane prior to his senior...Few players, in this time, stay in school after doing so well early...So he caught a ton of hype--snowball effect.

K.Long is another player that is smaller--250 for a DE...

Direct opposite of Pollack--Long had 2 sacks as a 5th year Sr. and 9 total in 4 season (half 4.5 as a soph) :P

Not a productive player, I think...But the NFL is all about potential, so???

Holy...It just goes to show--the best athletes are rarely the best football players, I guess.

Good point about Pollack. Going back to school for a 4th year turned him from a good player into a Hall of Famer.

McMillen is "listed" at 240 pounds....His playing weight is likely 230.

So, is he "really" a legit DE prospect? And, he ran close to a 4.7 his next attempt--which is strange :shock:

Probably another 3-4 LB....who just bettered the bigger, true DL's. Again, 40's for lineman is mostly bull....Just want to make sure they aren't totally "unathletic".

Unfair to compare McMillen, who's built like a safety, to C.J Mosley or any of the other DL's.

Small schooler Ike Hilton ran a 4.49 last combine at DE (250) pounds and he was a 7th rounder and didn't make the NFL in 2004, so we'll see?

########

Faba, Castillo is flying up....He's actually a legit DT (close to 300lbs.)...NFL network scout had as his 4th or 5th best DT in the draft....2nd rounder, the experts say.

Sounds like the Pats or Steelers could make use of that type player. Man i miss the 4-3 BAD!

Steelers and half the league--the 3-4 is a new craze, sweeping the NFL.

Players that fit this mold are in golden shape. But scratch the surface, and you'll find some medicore players with good 40 times :o

Archived