Jets Take One on Chin; Should Come Back Swinging

Ryno the Jet

August 18, 2007 – FILE UNDER: Reality Check

The build-up for last night’s NFL Pre-season game betwixt the New York Jets and the Minnesota Vikings had intense story lines and an outrageous plot for all the true subscribers of Jets Football. Hollywood’s finest would not have done a better job. Immediately following last week’s thumping of the Vickless Falcons, the Jets premiere off-season addition, running back Thomas Jones, was sidelined due to a minor calf injury. The roller-coaster ride that was the Darrelle Revis contract roulette wheel finally came to a brake-screeching halt; just before Jets fans threw-up. Chad Pennington would finally throw a pass in a live action situation; oh the anticipation! All for not, or so it would seem the morning after, but fear not Jets faithful, sometimes a fighter needs a good old fashioned punch in the mouth to get the blood flowing.

Kickoff.

Okay, so it was brutal from the get-go. The Jets offensive line was bullied and beat into submission. The Williams boys from Minnesota are pure road graders to say the least. Pennington’s first passing moments were less than desirable, or perhaps, just plain awful would be a more accurate description. Chad’s first touchdown pass of the 2007 season would go in the books for the wrong team, as would the second.

Leon Washington and Danny Ware showed sparks, Justin McCareins made a big play, and Brad Smith was the best field general to take snaps for either team when all was said and done. Other than that, and Kellen Clemens starting off like he would have another spectacular second team showing, only to disappoint, the Jets offense was boring. Oh, and Pete Kendall was there, but I am not sure what he did really? Wait, I remember, he was responsible for the Vikings’ third defensive touchdown after snapping the ball from center over the quarterback’s head for the second time in the game. A feat Wade Smith had been banished to the bench for previously. Well, guess who was allowed to give it another go? Ding, ding, big Wade came trotting back much to the dismay of Jets fans’ bleeding stomachs due to their fear of a Nick Mangold injury. Is God that cruel?

Defensively speaking, the Jets played decent, but not good enough. Adrian Peterson, the Vikings and their 2006 (6-10) record’s love child, looked like an all pro for his first few carries, as the Jets d-line was battered almost as badly as Mangold and his bunch of meat-heads. The secondary was on half-tilt for most of the game, but at least the FOX cameras caught a glimpse of Mr. Revis in his new, very clean uniform. This game left Jets fans to wonder if the return of Justin Miller and the addition of Revis will be enough.

Thank Santa Claus for Mike Westhoff! Although even the special teams had a few hiccups, they were once again the shining stars of the game for the Gang Green. The Nuge continues to impress. Roster spots must be found for Raymond Vintrone and Wallace Wright, as the two kids once again transformed themselves into heat-seeking missiles on kick-offs. Wright should have no trouble landing as the fifth wide receiver, but the Jets brass will need to be somewhat creative with fitting Vintrone into the fighting 53.

The final score is not important, and frankly, most Jets fans were entirely too belligerent by then to notice anyway. What matters is that Eric Mangini now has enough fuel for his camp fire. These players were a little full of themselves coming into this game. Praise from the press and accolades from onlookers at Hofstra; not so fast. This tough nosed Vikings team did the Jets a favor, the reality check so desperately needed for players and fans alike. The Jets are in this bout for the full twelve rounds. A little chin music in the second to knock’em to one knee won’t hurt a bit.

Ryno

Yes, thanks man.

Nice job.

My two cents on the game is strange. I wasn't the least bit concerned about Penny's TD's, or that we were not going to win (realized in the 2nd quarter), I was just happy to see the nice plays that we did have (B. Smith at QB, J-Mac's TD).

All totaled, I am happy we lost, gives them something to work on.

:blush:

Geese guys, this stuff just came to me in a dream. Well, more of a day dream, really; while I was spewing blood and bourbon from my bunghole this morning. Damn, I was ripped last night!

Thanks guys!

in the tradition of some of America's greatest writers I might add..

I'd like to see how Danny Ware does against first teamers next week.

Me too, this kid is raw, but he runs real hard. I like what I see so far, especially knowing he will be option #3. He reminds me of a science lab project where some Mad-man is trying to create what you would get if you crossed TJ with LW.

no he did it out at the farm in Aspen

Hunter shot himself in FLA, not sure what city. His wish was to have his body cremated and have his ashes blown out of a cannon at his place in Aspen. Johnny Depp made sure that happened; cool if you ask me, but I do not condone the suicide.

Last night is why I do not get real excited about winning in exhibition games or losing them- take a even approach-Sept 9th is the game we have to be ready to play for.

It's the way they executed that bothers me. Winning or losing is a joke in preseason, it's all about preparation and execution and we did none of that.

It's the way they executed that bothers me. Winning or losing is a joke in preseason, it's all about preparation and execution and we did none of that.

Nightstalker I understand the concern for all Jet fans but I have seen enough of going 4 and 0 in preseason looking like worldbeaters that has meant nothing once the season starts. Mangini has three weeks to get this team ready.

Hunter shot himself in FLA, not sure what city. His wish was to have his body cremated and have his ashes blown out of a cannon at his place in Aspen. Johnny Depp made sure that happened; cool if you ask me, but I do not condone the suicide.

Hunter S. Thompson Dies at 67

'Fear and Loathing' Writer Apparently Committed Suicide

By Martin Weil and Allan Lengel

Washington Post Staff Writers

Monday, February 21, 2005; Page A04

Hunter S. Thompson, whose life and writing, vivid and quirky reflections of each other, made him one of the principal symbols of the American counterculture, shot and killed himself yesterday at his home near Aspen.

Hunter S. Thompson, whose life and writing, vivid and quirky reflections of each other, made him one of the principal symbols of the American counterculture, shot and killed himself yesterday at his home near Aspen.

Where the hell did I get FLA from??? Thanks SFJ...I need to lay off the stuff!

Hemingway killed himself on a log cabin in Ketcham, Idaho on Sunday 2 July 1961. He tripped the trigger of his double barelled shotgun and was instantly killed.

Well, it looks like our roles are clearly defined:

Jetcane for trusty camp reports, Ryno for drunken toilet-talk, and SoFlaJets kickin' the history knowledge!

:cheers:

Where the hell did I get FLA from??? Thanks SFJ...I need to lay off the stuff!

I love how SFJ doesn't rub it in. Just posts it and lets it work out by itself. haha

ryno- i don't even know who the dude is, i was impressed you knew that much just off past knowledge. :)

yea his place outside of Aspen is called the Owl Farm-his son Juan found him

yeah, I know all about his place in Aspen; he even ran for Sheriff in his community! I just had it in my head that he did himself in FLA. Does his widow live there or something? I don't have a clue where I came up with that? Like I said, Ryno+stuff=randomness

yeah, I know all about his place in Aspen; he even ran for Sheriff in his community! I just had it in my head that he did himself in FLA. Does his widow live there or something? I don't have a clue where I came up with that? Like I said, Ryno+stuff=randomness

yea and his son I guess...I loved HST and you're right about the ashes in the cannon sendoff-he made Johnny Depp promise he would do it and Depp kept that promise

I love how SFJ doesn't rub it in. Just posts it and lets it work out by itself. haha

ryno- i don't even know who the dude is, i was impressed you knew that much just off past knowledge. :)

I know; he's a cool cat. I only know so much about HST b/c he is my fav. journalist/writer/author.

yea and his son I guess...I loved HST and you're right about the ashes in the cannon sendoff-he made Johnny Depp promise he would do it and Depp kept that promise

Yes, Depp is the man! He portrayed Hunter very well in the Fear and Loathing movie!

Archived