Maroney still not playing for Pats

faba

del.icio.us]sMaroney’s not in red: RB cleared for contact

By Karen Guregian / Patriots Notebook

Boston Herald General Sports Reporter and Columnist

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Updated: 05:06 AM EST

FOXBORO - Although Laurence Maroney [stats]’s likely activation for Friday night’s game at Carolina won’t draw nearly the amount of fanfare as Randy Moss’ debut - whenever that happens - there will be a huge amount of interest paid in how the running back fares in his first preseason matchup.

After all, he’s now the featured back in this new-and-improved offense, and no one is quite sure how he will perform following offseason shoulder surgery.

To that end, Maroney finally shed his red, non-contact jersey yesterday.

“That certainly puts him closer (to playing Friday),” coach Bill Belichick said. “He’s made steady

Belichick said he’d prefer to get a tailback work in the preseason, as opposed to keeping him rested the way the San Diego Chargers have treated LaDainian Tomlinson.

“The situation varies from player to player, but in general, players need to practice and play to get ready to play,” Belichick said. “If we wanted to save everybody, we’d just sit around here for six weeks and not do anything. I don’t think we’d have a very good football team. But everybody would be safe.

“There has to be some middle ground between working and getting the team ready to execute to a certain level, and at the same time, you don’t want them worn down by the time you get to the season.”

Injury report

Linebacker Eric Alexander (offseason shoulder surgery) also had his non-contact jersey removed and hopes to play Friday night.

“I’m happy to finally be cleared for contact drills and finally be able to play,” Alexander said. “I’m feeling OK, ready to get out there and show what I can do. It’s important for me to play. Chemistry is a big part of this game. It’ll be good for me to get on the field and get all the kinks out and communicate with my teammates.” . . .

Wide receiver Jabar Gaffney [stats], who reportedly was limping after a second-quarter reception Friday night against Tennessee, was not present during yesterday’s practice. . . .

Other notables missing from the short media availability window were offensive lineman Russ Hochstein, who came up limping after lining up as a fullback on Heath Evans [stats]’ 2-yard touchdown run Friday, and safety Rashad Baker, who played in the loss. . . .

Offensive lineman Billy Yates returned to practice. . . .

Belichick was asked about the five players on the physically unable to perform list, most notably Richard Seymour [stats] and Troy Brown [stats], and whether decisions needed to be made on them soon.

“Each case is individually judged. Each is a day-by-day situation. I think they’re all making progress. When’s the breaking point, when’s the deadline? I don’t know,” Belichick said. “We’ll certainly have to decide at the last cut whether to keep

Patriots | Maroney expected to play versus Carolina

Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:38:25 -0700

Robert Lee, of the Providence Journal, reports New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said he expects RB Laurence Maroney (shoulder) to play in the team's preseason game Friday, Aug. 24, against the Carolina Panthers. "He's made steady progress," Belichick said. Maroney, as reported, went through full workouts Monday, Aug. 20, after shedding his red, non-contact jersey. He has said all preseason long he has been ready and willing for full contact but the coaching staff held him back to prevent injury and to keep his legs fresh.

Good. No reason to re-injure his shoulder during a meaningless pre-season game. What little news that escaped Foxboro said it was serious.

agreed PFS....same thing we should and prolly will be doing with Thomas Jones...I don't want to even hear about him touching the ball until September 9th

There is no reason to have a teams star running back be taking more than 10-15 snaps each Preseason. The Chargers are holding out LT for the entire Preseason. Seriously, this isn't that big of a deal. As long as Maroney is healthy for Week 1, they'll be fine. Heck, Thomas Jones only had 7 carries this Preseason, but if he's healthy for Week 1 you won't see any of us concerned. Do those 7 carries really mean that much?

truth is every player is different. remember with curtis in 2004 how he insisted on getting more reps in preseason because he played better with more reps. i don't think jones is the same way but he still needs to get his timing with the OL. wasn't that what the first preseason game all about in the first quarter?

Archived