Poindexter plans to prosecute Vick in Virginia

Kentucky Jet

POINDEXTER PLANS TO PROSECUTE

A major factor in the final outcome of the entire Mike Vick legal imbroglio is what will happen to him under Virginia law. Though several readers have raised with us the notion of "double jeopardy," Vick has not faced animal cruelty charges under state law. The feds had no jurisdiction over such crimes, since they happened only in Virginia. For now, Vick has pleaded guilty only to conspiracy to violate several federal statutes dealing with interstate gambling and interstate dog fighting. He has never been placed in jeopardy for animal cruelty charges.

And, if the statement of facts he signs on August 27 includes an admission that he participated in the killing of the eight dogs that Quanis Phillips and Purnell Peace admitted to killing with Vick, then it will be very easy to prove that Vick violated Virginia law.

Even Gerald Poindexter can't screw that up.

Nor does he intend to.

"I intend to prosecute to the fullest extent anything I can prosecute him on in Surry County," Poindexter said on Monday.

We used to think that Poindexter was dragging his feet on Vick because Poindexter, a part-time prosecutor in his 60s, didn't want to face an O.J.-style dream team. But the challenge is now far easier than it would have been, and if Poindexter doesn't push forward aggressively, we'll conclude that his motives arise from corruption, not from sloth.

Seems like poindexter already screwed this up .Why would you release to the general public ,we`re waiting for him to sign an admission to this so we can further convict him of that ,now you`ve told his defense team what he won`t admit to when he signs his admission of facts sheet ,sure he`ll admit to a few little things and take the 12-18 months but he won`t admit to anything that they can charge him with later on......

Seems like poindexter already screwed this up .Why would you release to the general public ,we`re waiting for him to sign an admission to this so we can further convict him of that ,now you`ve told his defense team what he won`t admit to when he signs his admission of facts sheet ,sure he`ll admit to a few little things and take the 12-18 months but he won`t admit to anything that they can charge him with later on......

I don't think you can use the admission anyway. I could be wrong but we have some lawyers on this site that would know for sure.

I don't think you can use the admission anyway. I could be wrong but we have some lawyers on this site that would know for sure.

100% A-D-M-I-S-S-I-B-L-E.

the rule you're probably thinking of is settlement negotiations can't be used against you, and that's true. so if a deal falls through, they can't say vick acknowledged he killed 8 dogs at a settlement conference to try to strike a deal.

Archived