MLB Draft: Mike Pelfry, NYM, by Marty Noble

BlackLabelJetsFan

NEW YORK -- The Mets, whose greatest successes through the years always have been fueled by dominant pitching, appropriately selected a dominant pitcher Tuesday in the opening round of the 2005 First-Year Player Draft.

The Mets selected Mike Pelfrey, a 21-year-old right-handed starting pitcher, who has made his amateur mark with Wichita State University.

Pelfrey was the second pitcher chosen in the first round, second to left-hander Ricky Romero of Cal State Fullerton. Speculation had the Mets selecting Craig Hansen, the pitcher from St. John's University, and a closer whom they could scout easily because of St. John's proximity to Shea Stadium. But Hansen wasn't chosen until the Red Sox (No. 26) took him in the first round.

Pelfrey was considered by some to be the primary pitching prospect in the nation. He is 6-foot-7 and is said to have a "pitcher's body."

He also has a pitcher's best friend -- other than a ground-ball double play -- a tough, demanding agent, Scott Boras. Hardly a favorite of most clubs, Boras is quite familiar to this Mets administration. General manager Omar Minaya negotiated with Boras when the Mets signed free agent Carlos Beltran in December. Signability, an issue essentially created by Boras, is not an overriding concern for the Mets.

Pelfrey is a power pitcher with natural sink on his fastball that has been timed at 97 mph and usually is in the mid 90s. He also throws a changeup, one he has mastered in the last two years that can unsettle left-handed hitters.

He had an 11-2 record and a 1.47 ERA in 16 games with Wichita State this year. He struck out 121 batters in 117 innings, allowing 24 walks and 75 hits.

Thanks for the report, Label. Sounds pretty promising, but you never know with these kids. Still, you can't have too many decent pitchers down on the farm. I like how he doesn't walk too many people, but we'll see if that translates when he stops pitching against Podunk U.

Thanks for the report, Label. Sounds pretty promising, but you never know with these kids. Still, you can't have too many decent pitchers down on the farm. I like how he doesn't walk too many people, but we'll see if that translates when he stops pitching against Podunk U.

All I know is, ya can't teach a 97-mph fastball, especially with the Steroid Era coming to an end.

Here are the last 5 picks by the Mets:

119) Hector Pellot, 2B, Puerto Rico Baseball Academy HS

149) Andrew Butera, C, Central Florida

179) Gregory Cain, CF, Gahr HS

209) Jonathan Niese, LHP, Defiance Sr HS

239) Sean McGraw, C, San Jacinto Col. North

Good to see we took a couple of catchers EARLY as well as a lefty starter.

It's moments like this when I just like to say.......

KAZMIR

Come back in 5 years and we'll judge whether that trade was good, simply mediocre, or horrible. Kazmir could become an ace, or he could blow his arm out.

Zambrano has been decent of late. Not great, but decent.

The trade that IS looking good is Benson/Keppinger for Petersen/Wigginton/Huber. Petersen is stinking it up in the minors, Wiggy got demoted to AAA, and Huber is in the KC system, a bat without a position. Meanwhile Benson has been, again, not great, but decent. And Keppinger is lighting up AAA pitching and playing second base.

Come back in 5 years and we'll judge whether that trade was good, simply mediocre, or horrible. Kazmir could become an ace, or he could blow his arm out.

BlackLabel, I agree. You have to have patience with these things.

And besides, the Yankees recently were swept by the Royals and are 1 game below .500 with a worse record than the Mets. So who's he kidding?

BlackLabel, I agree. You have to have patience with these things.

It could have been a smokescreen, but I had read that the team was concerned that Kazmir's slight frame could lead to arm trouble in the future. If those concerns were legitimate, we'll know in a few years. The trade may wind up being pretty even. Or it could suck. Can't tell right now.

The trade that IS looking good is Benson/Keppinger for Petersen/Wigginton/Huber. Petersen is stinking it up in the minors, Wiggy got demoted to AAA, and Huber is in the KC system, a bat without a position. Meanwhile Benson has been, again, not great, but decent. And Keppinger is lighting up AAA pitching and playing second base.

Rumor is that Keppinger might finish this season as the Mets every day second baseman if they can somehow (please God) get rid of Kaz Matzui.

Rumor is that Keppinger might finish this season as the Mets every day second baseman if they can somehow (please God) get rid of Kaz Matzui.

Keppinger is hitting real well at Norfolk-there is no team that will take Matsui at this point I do not think though. I Would love to have a scappy guy like Keppinger at second- you need those types on your team- gritty hustle guys.

Keppinger is hitting real well at Norfolk-there is no team that will take Matsui at this point I do not think though. I Would love to have a scappy guy like Keppinger at second- you need those types on your team- gritty hustle guys.

The only real knocks on Keppinger are his lack of speed and defensive ability for a second baseman.

However, Kaz Matsui isn't exactly a speed demon, and he had to switch positions because of his awful defensive abilities, so really the only thing that could keep Keppinger down is the fact that Kaz Matsui is making about 30 times as much as Keppinger.

Archived