Assante has escape clause in his contract

faba

Asante provided with escape clause

By John Tomase/ Patriots Notebook

Boston Herald Sports Writer

Thursday, August 30, 2007 - Updated: 06:03 AM EST

FOXBORO - Looks as though Asante Samuel [stats] gained something through his failure to report, after all.

When the franchised corner arrived in Foxboro on Monday, the team was unwilling to provide assurance that it wouldn’t franchise him again in 2008. But the Pats changed their tune overnight, and the deal Samuel ultimately signed Tuesday morning includes a provision that makes it unlikely he’ll be franchised next year.

According to multiple published reports, Samuel will not be franchised again if he participates in a certain percentage of the team’s defensive plays, or if the Pats reach a specific win total. [

The agreement is a victory for Samuel, who will be in line for a big payday in free agency should he duplicate his 2006 season. Were he to be franchised next year, he’d be guaranteed only a one-year deal worth at least $9.38 million, a 20 percent increase over the $7.79 million tender he just signed.

Pay dirt for Rivers

Marcellus Rivers didn’t have a ton of stats to show for his 2001 rookie season with the Giants. He only caught three passes. But in a strange bit of luck, two of them went for touchdowns.

Rivers caught a pair of short TDs that season, and not surprisingly, he remembers both vividly.

“They were goal-line situations,” he said. “The first one was on Sept. 10, on ‘Monday Night Football’ in Denver. I just kind of went out for a goal-line pass. Nothing fancy. I was the first option. The same thing happened in Dallas a couple of months later on my second TD. It was great, especially the first one. It felt good to contribute to the team.”

The first went for 1 yard, the second for 2. Rivers laughs when he thinks back, because, aside from the 6-yard TD strike he caught from Tom Brady [stats] against the Panthers last week, he’s only caught two touchdowns in the four years and 48 receptions since.

“I was like (Mike) Vrabel then,” Rivers said. “Everything I caught was a touchdown.”

Bubble trouble

There are more enjoyable places to be than on the bubble as the final cutdown nears, but for a number of players, such is reality.

One of those players is seventh-round draft pick Oscar Lua. The linebacker out of USC has opened some eyes in camp and has a chance of sticking, but he’s taking nothing for granted. The Patriots [team stats] must trim their roster to 53 by Saturday.

“There’s really no comfort level,” Lua said. “There have been plays out there where I know I should have done a better job. So as far as comfort level, there is none. You have to trust in your work ethic and what the coaches think of you. I don’t think there’s (job) safety in this business for anybody. I’m just on my toes hoping the coaches find some work for me.” . . .

Matt Light [stats]’s Celebrity Shootout will be held tomorrow at Addieville East Farm in Mapleville, R.I. Patriots players and others will compete in clay-pigeon target shooting. The entry fee is $3,000, with the money going to the Light Foundation, the left tackle’s charity benefiting causes mainly in Massachusetts and Ohio.

Yes, shutdown corners are easy to find. :P

Exactly DM-since nobody hardly ever trades away franchise QB's or RB's shutdown corners are the biggest money makers on the FA market-look at the dough Clements got this past off season...Samuel will get a sick payday after the year he's gonna want to have being a FA and all-if he meets certain incentives NE has promised not to slap the tag on him after this season...too bad he'sll be out of the New York Jets ballpark-we NEVER spend that kind of money on free agents....leave that up to the Denvers and Washingtons of the NFL world

Wait a second.....yesterday Asante was a JAG....or "with the exception of last year, below mediocre" according to one astute Jets fan :rolleyes: .........and now he is a shut down corner?

What is wrong with you people? You have all the credibility of a tofu burger.

Wait a second.....yesterday Asante was a JAG....or "with the exception of last year, below mediocre" according to one astute Jets fan :rolleyes: .........and now he is a shut down corner?

What is wrong with you people? You have all the credibility of a tofu burger.

hey who said that Garb? Whoever it was either was being snarky or didn't know what the hell he was talking about-we all KNOW he's an excellent CB.......hey...10 INTs? 'nuff said

hey who said that Garb? Whoever it was either was being snarky or didn't know what the hell he was talking about-we all KNOW he's an excellent CB.......hey...10 INTs? 'nuff said

Jetfan13 - I think he was being serious - and what the heck is snarky? I'm snarly. Is that similar? LOL!

Truth be told, I think both sides got something out of this. Asante got "paid" and had his provisions met half-way: no franchise tag if he meets certain criteria. The Pats got their best DB back and an additional year to see if he's worth the big bucks.

All that said, Asanate IS NOT a shut-down corner - but he plays great in the Patriots Scheme.

BTW - HIGHLY doubt he will start against the Jets on 9/9. Gay/Hobbs will man the corners with Samuel playing nickle packages.

Jetfan13 - I think he was being serious - and what the heck is snarky? I'm snarly. Is that similar? LOL!

Truth be told, I think both sides got something out of this. Asante got "paid" and had his provisions met half-way: no franchise tag if he meets certain criteria. The Pats got their best DB back and an additional year to see if he's worth the big bucks.

All that said, Asanate IS NOT a shut-down corner - but he plays great in the Patriots Scheme.

BTW - HIGHLY doubt he will start against the Jets on 9/9. Gay/Hobbs will man the corners with Samuel playing nickle packages.

being snarky means just being an A-hole on a MB

I'm REALLY snarky then! :)

You know what Garb... Your really not so bad, at first I really could not stand you, its a sick thought... But im really starting to like you. I heard the Patriot message boards are horriable, no wonder why you like to post on a Jets site. one thing I know about you... Your a great Patriots fan, and I think you know more about the Pats than I do my Jets, lol.

Man, I would love for the Jets to have 2 first rounders... We did draft 2 first round players this year in Revis and Harris but I would really love for the Jets to have the #1 and #2 pick... lol, that would be crazy. But honeslty, if they Jets had for example a # 12 and a #18 in the draft, that would be a great 1st round to fix up the O-Line.

Man, I would love for the Jets to have 2 first rounders... We did draft 2 first round players this year in Revis and Harris but I would really love for the Jets to have the #1 and #2 pick... lol, that would be crazy. But honeslty, if they Jets had for example a # 12 and a #18 in the draft, that would be a great 1st round to fix up the O-Line.

They barely could sign the #21 pick and managed to get bent over in the process. What do you think they would do with two first round picks?

Already preparing for Samuel's departure, I see. Of course, if he signed a long term contract, he would be Herb Adderley with dreadlocks.

I have said that the shutdown corner is dead in the NFL for years now. That's one of my biggest pet peeves actually. Deion Sanders was the last shutdown corner as far as I'm concerned. Show me one corner in the NFL today that could carry Neon Deions jock strap.

They barely could sign the #21 pick and managed to get bent over in the process. What do you think they would do with two first round picks?

I bet you cant name any other players other than Revis in the past 5 years where we had trouble getting them signed? Not only do we draft well, but we sign great.

Dont be so quick to talk... A.Samuels may not even start week one because of the Pats front office... So you have no room to talk.

The same thing we did with Brick and Mangold... Mostly everything you say is a joke... Use your head before you make a stupid post trying to bash us Jet fans on a Jets message board.

I have said that the shutdown corner is dead in the NFL for years now. That's one of my biggest pet peeves actually. Deion Sanders was the last shutdown corner as far as I'm concerned. Show me one corner in the NFL today that could carry Neon Deions jock strap.

Sanders was the best cover corner of all time. If that is your standard for a shutdown corner, it's awfully high. Mine is simply a CB who can take the other team's best WR, with minimal help from safeties and LBers, and more often than not, take that WR out of the game as the key contributor that they normally are. Like what Samuel did to future HOFer Marvin Harrison in the championship game.

Sanders was the best cover corner of all time. If that is your standard for a shutdown corner, it's awfully high. Mine is simply a CB who can take the other team's best WR, with minimal help from safeties and LBers, and more often than not, take that WR out of the game as the key contributor that they normally are. Like what Samuel did to future HOFer Marvin Harrison in the championship game.

He shut down a future HOFer that is at the end of the road. For that one time that he shut down Harrison, there were plenty of times where he was handed his a$$. Samuel is a good corner but not an elite shutdown corner. The closest thing to that like I said is Champ Bailey and even he gets tested and burnt at times.

No, he is not quick enough to be another Sanders. He will just be another Champ Baily. I'll settle for that.

He is already = to the best CB in the league?

Havent you folks learned anthing form the Drob debacle?

BTW, NE was looking for a CB when they drafted Samuel.

He shut down a future HOFer that is at the end of the road. For that one time that he shut down Harrison, there were plenty of times where he was handed his a$$. Samuel is a good corner but not an elite shutdown corner. The closest thing to that like I said is Champ Bailey and even he gets tested and burnt at times.

I'll give you the benefit of doubt since, I assume, you see every Patriots game. Whenever I saw this guy last year, at least 9 or 10 games, he looked like a shutdown corner to me. I must have missed the bad ones.

Man, I would love for the Jets to have 2 first rounders... We did draft 2 first round players this year in Revis and Harris but I would really love for the Jets to have the #1 and #2 pick... lol, that would be crazy.

Why is that crazy?

I can easily envision the Jets with the first pick in next years draft with that OL and DL.

I'll give you the benefit of doubt since, I assume, you see every Patriots game. Whenever I saw this guy last year, at least 9 or 10 games, he looked like a shutdown corner to me. I must have missed the bad ones.

Well in all fairness, you probably just saw him in the Jets games and Pennington made Earthwind Moreland look like Deion freakin' Sanders. :P

He is already = to the best CB in the league?

Just a prediction, obviously. Let's have this conversation at the end of this year. You know, when us Jets fans will be looking forward to at least another 5 years of DR and you Patriots fans will be waving goodbye to the suddenly mediocre Samuel.

Just a prediction, obviously. Let's have this conversation at the end of this year. You know, when us Jets fans will be looking forward to at least another 5 years of DR and you Patriots fans will be waving goodbye to the suddenly mediocre Samuel.

I haven't seen anyone call him mediocre except for Jetfan13. :)

Samuel is a good CB but not a great CB.

Thats why NE wont pay him the crazy money he wants. With that being said, he still is the best CB NE has at the moment. The rotation of Hobbs, Samuel, Gay and Merriweather will be a good one.

Archived