Tigers trade news; Urbina moved

stormshadow19

On WDFN, 1130 AM in Detroit, they're reporting that the Tigers have traded RP Ugueth Urbina and utility infielder Ramon Martinez to the Phillies for second baseman Placido Polanco.

I can't find a link for it. It just broke on there. That not only impacts the Tigers, but it also impacts the Mets, since their divison rival got Urbina.

The Tigers probably could have gotten more for him. Him being Urbina, but they do need the offense. I believe Carlos Gullien is going on the DL, after he pulled up lame last night.

Adding link http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2080392

according to danny knobbler at mlive.com, Urbina got drunk on the flight to Los Angeles and got into a fist fight with a couple of players. Basically said, after that Ugie had to be traded.

Not too sad to see him go because Farnsworth is pitching well and will do fine in the set up role with Percival back. Polanco will work out nicely for us, but I just wish that Infante would have done better.

At least the Tigers finally are done putting up with mediocre performances from their players. First Pena, then Ledezma, now Infante.

Not too sad to see him go because Farnsworth is pitching well and will do fine in the set up role with Percival back.

Yeah, you think that now. Wait a few weeks and then see if you feel the same way about Farnsworthless.

Polanco is a decent 2B, but the Phillies had a better option.

Don't be suprised to see Detroit move Polanco to a contender soon...In the summer of 2004, a whole host of contenders where offering prospects for him, because he can play several spots.

What are you saying, Rigs? The Tigers aren't a contender this year? What makes you say that? Their inability to score? Come on man! You know as well as I that they're a pitching team!

:wink: :lol::lol: :wink:

I'm just teasin... I hope they're able to get something valuable for Polanco. He's a free agent at the end of the year, and with Infante there already, I don't see them keeping him long term.

SS19 & GOB, I suppose the Tigers might keep Polanco and play him at 2B....He did have a decent 2004 season for Philly (17 HR's), but seems like he doesn't add as much for a #2 hitter, because he rarely walks or steals bases.

Good player; more of a utility type, perhaps....although could exceed that with Detroit--maybe :?

Honestly, I think the Tigers are going nowhere--already 12 games out, so if they get a offer of prospects for him, take it.

We'll see what they do.

Archived